M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-23-2018, 07:43 PM   #23
No one
Major
Rep
Drives: F21 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by usshelena725 View Post
Seriously, I would probably feel safer in South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Mauritius and several other countries than Portugal.
South Africa is notorious for you can only feel (relatively?) safe sticking to the whites there. Which areas/districts in South Africa would you relate to overall Portugal as safer: the safe or unsafe ones? I mean I haven't been to either but touristic documentaries depict Portugal as a poor country only, not a criminal one.

Another strange looking in the list is Mauritius. Isn't it an (relatively? ) expensive touristic paradise? Still safer than Portugal or do you mean it's rural parts?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2018, 07:49 PM   #24
SunnyD
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

I'm heading to Porto and Lisbon in November - can someone tell me what's so unsafe about Portugal?
'98 ///M3 | 5MT - Gone
'07 ///M Coupe | 6MT - Gone
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 07:30 AM   #25
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep
Drives: Back and Forth To Work

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by No one View Post
South Africa is notorious for you can only feel (relatively?) safe sticking to the whites there. Which areas/districts in South Africa would you relate to overall Portugal as safer: the safe or unsafe ones? I mean I haven't been to either but touristic documentaries depict Portugal as a poor country only, not a criminal one.

Another strange looking in the list is Mauritius. Isn't it an (relatively? ) expensive touristic paradise? Still safer than Portugal or do you mean it's rural parts?
Not sure what you are on about with this post, but that is racist as hell, man. I am in South Africa a lot, and I am white, and I don't feel less safe if in Parkhurst than if I am Sandton and don't feel less safe in Pinetown than Umhlanga.

Portugal isn't a criminal country, but due to poverty compared to the relative richness of other West European countries, opportunistic crime is quite high (pickpockets, ATM skimming, scams, snatch and grab, etc.) In reality, it probably isn't any worse than the countries I mentioned, but I was trying to make a point. Maybe I should have said 'wouldn't fee less safe in the African countries' versus saying 'would feel safer in the African countries'.

Mauritius is quite safe, hence my previous post. Not sure what you mean here about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
I'm heading to Porto and Lisbon in November - can someone tell me what's so unsafe about Portugal?
Read my comment to the other poster above - it isn't unsafe, just less safe than the other European countries. I was just teasing him about picking Portugal compared to other western European countries. It's fine, other than opportunistic crime. Just keep a keen eye on your surroundings. I would compare Portugal in safety to some of the less developed Eastern European countries with regard to safety versus the more well known Western European ones. Still okay.
      10-24-2018, 09:20 AM   #26
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Not sure what you are on about with this post, but that is racist as hell, man. I am in South Africa a lot, and I am white, and I don't feel less safe if in Parkhurst than if I am Sandton and don't feel less safe in Pinetown than Umhlanga.
It's not intentionally racist (don't start that shit as it's the weakest argument), it's just about what appears well known and confirmed by South Africans on a neighbour forum and shown in TV touristic guides and mentioned on touristic sites(?) South Africa is not a safe country. It's like there are safer districts even in the same city and less safe districts you'd better keep away from. And it appears important to mind. It's not my guess but just what they state "non-white" public is highly criminal there and especially offensive towards white. FWIW. Those designations you mention say nothing to me but I see your point you can go anywhere in SA without much concern. Thank you for your opinion, but I would still doubt as it's contrary to many others.

Quote:
Mauritius is quite safe, hence my previous post. Not sure what you mean here about that.
I meant it was like quite obvious a luxury resort was safe. Monaco is safe too they say - likely safer than Portugal but that doesn't make Portugal an unsafe country at once. Places where people spend much money must be protected, it's pretty pointless otherwise.

Last edited by No one; 10-24-2018 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: Added some proof link.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 09:58 AM   #27
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It's not my guess but just what they state "non-white" public is highly criminal there and especially offensive towards white.
1) Sure came across as racist, just saying.

2) Very little race crime in South Africa. Most crime that is publicized is poor against rich, but something like 99.7% of all crime is black African against black African. There is a higher percentage of wealthy or middle class whites than poverty stricken whites, hence the ratio's are skewed, but it isn't a racial thing for the most part.

Quote:
It's like there are safer districts even in the same city and less safe districts you'd better keep away from. And it appears important to mind.
You mean there are safer areas of a city than others? Wow, I had no idea. Wait - you mean like, oh I don't know, every other city on earth too? Noooo. I should go write this down.
      10-24-2018, 11:08 AM   #28
No one
Major
Rep

Quote:
Very little race crime in South Africa. Most crime that is publicized is poor against rich, but something like 99.7% of all crime is black African against black African. There is a higher percentage of wealthy or middle class whites than poverty stricken whites, hence the ratio's are skewed, but it isn't a racial thing for the most part.
The rationale behind the point I conveyed (I've no idea of my own) is the recent history of SA we all know (don't we?). Quite some racial tension remains, they say. Like black Africans are poor (don't work for whatever reason?) and blame whites for that claiming those own them. And as the whites are still richer - of course it's not racial, it's rational, just as you admit.

Quote:
You mean there are safer areas of a city than others? Wow, I had no idea. Wait - you mean like, oh I don't know, every other city on earth too? Noooo. I should go write this down.
Yes, I heard in USA there are also city districts police won't go to, not to mention taxi. But we won't discuss US safety, shall we? The thread is dedicated to Morocco.

Everywhere there's a tension between rich and poor. The likelihood of violence when you don't show off is probably what I meant. Even the "richest" places are full of non-violent criminals, of course. Say, where I am now the poorest district is where you wouldn't want to leave your car, especially at night. But I don't know about you wouldn't even go there for your good. I feel safe at night in the street alone as long as I am not a fancy girl. You mentioned crooked cops in Portugal. This is an issue where I am. Once street cops guess you might have money and you're no criminal to ward them off they are likely to try to make sure there's nothing you can pay them for - not too hard but still very annoyingly.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2018, 11:12 AM   #29
EdM5
Colonel
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G26 i4 M50 & E70 X5 Xdrive35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
Nothing.
Ignore the BS
Robin_NL8716.00
      10-24-2018, 03:32 PM   #30
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
You mentioned crooked cops and walking target and then chose Portugal as an alternative? Not any other European country. Portugal? LOL.

Portugal is the DRC of the Eurozone, lol.
It's not. Period.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
EdM54036.00
      10-24-2018, 03:38 PM   #31
Run Silent
Run Deep
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
It's not. Period.

Cheers
Robin

Cool. I believe that I already corrected my previous statement to reflect a reduction in my personal thoughts regarding that country.

Which country in the Eurozone do you feel is the bottom of the barrel?
      09-19-2023, 12:44 PM   #32
hatepotholez
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

bumping this.

planning to go to Moroccoa this week. Anyone live here from the board?
Appreciate 0