BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 M Sport, 2015 M4 Vert

Gripe about center console in the M5

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi Guys,

havent received my car yet but I did see one at the dealer the other day. Fantastic car and i know i will be very happy when mine is delivered.

I do have one gripe though that i am not happy with compared to my wife's 535i... The center console area between the seats is made of some kind of rubbery-leatherlike material and this was the same on my old 2008 M3 (which was the first release of its kind just like we are getting now with the M5)

My wife's 535 (which was ordered before released) came out with the wood (anthracite) in the center near the gear shifter to match the rest of the dash... not this rubbery-leatherlike black material around the shifter/ash tray...

I am betting that the 2014 M5 will have the wood package in the center, if it does im gonna be pissed as poo... (if that makes sense.. heh)

If anyone can confirm that it was done as a 'sporty' measure than that is something different; i just think that it should match the rest of the dash and also since i have a car that was released prior with the wood the center and the M5 being a higher end car, it should have it too in the center. it looks much better in the 535i... my wife sat in the M5 with me and said : WTF is this sh!t?

Does anyone else notice this or am i being too pretentious here??
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #2
dkreidel
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: a lot of BMW's

Do you have MT?
      09-19-2012, 11:46 AM   #3
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkreidel View Post
Do you have MT?
the 535i is automatic and i ordered MT, yes but its on the ship right now.

I saw the DCT M5 in person at the dealership and thats the one that had the black material around the shift knob but its all the way to the little flip opening compartment all the way to the arm rest..

i know the MT has a different look than the DCT but I am thinking it will be the same material.

The 535 wood in the middle just looks so much richer/refined than the M5 in the center area...
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #4
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Actually I know what you are talking about.

I thought the material on the lower console that replaces the wood trim on the regular 5 series would be made out of the same leather that is on the dash (for the full Merino Leather option) or maybe even the same leather that is on the seats.

I am glad that they didn't put the same trim material that is on the dash or the doors on the lower console though. It would be way more of a nightmare keeping my Piano Black Trim lint and fingerprint free!

I may look into custom upholstering my lower console trim with genuine leather. To match the dash and the seats. We'll see.

Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #5
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
More fake wood = gaudy. I like what they've done.

Saw a new Audi A7 with a matte finish wood trim that actually looked quite good.
      09-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #6
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

the wood trim will scratch very easily. I had that on my '11 550
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 02:32 PM   #7
bradone1
BMW Extraordinaire
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
the wood trim will scratch very easily. I had that on my '11 550
yes you are correct, the wood DID scratch on the wife's 535i with the damn shopvac nozzle when it swooped across the Anthracite wood... right on the ash tray cover so i had to buy a new one and snap it in..

I guess it just looks cheaper to me and it makes me think they will come out with it nicer on the MY2014... My damn M3 had the ugliest iDrive button, was like a machined aluminum silver and big bulky round thing, then the next year they came out with it small, round and little rubber accents where it looked sharp!!

I personally think that it looks unfinished with the black material and no wood trim in the center since i am so used to looking at the way it is in the 535 for the last 1.5 years we have had it.

i guess i am always expecting MORE in a car that costs 2x as much.

be careful with those damn shopvac nozzles.... those things will scratch everything they touch... bastard car wash guy... you.. bastard-guy!! (hindu voice)
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #8
bobblehead
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: warp speed

For me, I was already being so careful when wiping using microfiber cloth to no avail.

I was even thinking of having that wrapped ... 3M - carbon fiber film. At the end, not wasting any more $ ... after couple of years, who cares !
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #9
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
I actually am very glad they used leather rather than wood trim there. The wood trim scratched really easily, and is very hard to polish by hand. I spent a fortune detailing it to restore it to perfection in July.

I would not want to go through that again, the center console is a high traffic area, and leather works better.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
SpotM5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

I have full leather, but the plastic/leather/metal like finish around the DCT shifter in black is really high quality and feels good to the touch
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #11
k_evink
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 BSM 335ix

I had anthracite wood in my 535 and it scuffs extremely easily. I only used a california duster on the inside and wiped with microfiber cloths...and like everyone else you can see lots of minor scuffs.

The material around the DCT shifter in the m5 is much less prone to scuffs. I do agree however that it would be nice visually if it matched the trim on the dash. The main reason I went with a black interior and the anthracite wood again is because I didn't like the look of too many different textures had I gone with wood or the silver.
Appreciate 0