Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > F10 M5 DIY Guides

03-25-2022, 04:17 PM   #1
Paul128
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Advice on condenser replacement

Hi all,

Production date Nov 2013, I have a slow ac leak and assuming it is probably condenser. BMW NZ not interested in replacing at their cost.

I have a replacement condenser from FCP and intend to do myself, including correct recovery, system vacuum, etc.

Is it correct that looking through the grill I am looking at the ac condenser (i.e. it is the front-most radiator)?
The transmission cooler is directly on top of it and also has to come out?

Is the main charge cooler directly behind these two? Or is the charge cooler that is out in front on the M5?

Does anyone have the instructions for replacement procedure that they can share?

I haven't been able to find instructions online.

Appreciate your help guys.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2022, 05:54 PM   #2
M5_Brandoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black sapphire M5

Good luck. This is something good to know. I ran into this issue a few years ago, but bmw covered.
      03-27-2022, 03:51 PM   #3
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

It's the first one looking through the grille but you'll know with the a/c pipes connected to it.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2022, 03:45 PM   #4
BMWM5NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 Monte Carlo Blue M5

Follow the piping leaving the compressor. Discharge pipe ( Smaller of 2 pipes leaving compressor) will go into the Condensor.
      04-09-2022, 03:15 PM   #5
Paul128
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Confirmed the charge cooler is out front with the transmission cooler on top. The condenser is in the middle with steering cooler on top.

I pulled apart enough to check the manufacture date of the condenser and found it was 2 weeks later than the change to the better one. Can't see or detect a leak there or at compressor or pressure switch.

With my budget leak detector, I can detect leaks at both shrader valves with port caps off. Not sure if that it significant because can't detect with caps on.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2022, 07:53 AM   #6
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 _ San Marino Blue

Try injecting dye into it to confirm for sure. I have a 2013 and mines also stopped blowing cold, I thought was condenser as well. Took it to shop, they ran tests with the machine, it held vacuum just fine, and injected dye when recharged, and was not a leak. Been about 4 weeks now and its back to ice cold. Not sure what caused it, maybe just Freon evaporating over 10 years but i have not had to go back to recheck for the leak.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2022, 09:53 AM   #7
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
F10 condenser leaks are common, and usually manifest themselves as very slow leaks over time. Generally, the o-ring on the desiccant bag plug, on the bottom of the condenser is the cause of the slow leak. This can get worse over time allowing compressor oil to leak out as well, accelerating compressor wear. I've replaced a hundred or so f10 condensers for this failure. ( this failure point is also very common on the f15/16, the f30/31/33, f25, and the e84.) You can purchase the desiccant bag and plug kit separately, condenser removal is still required to replace it.
      10-19-2022, 09:38 AM   #8
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_M_Tech View Post
F10 condenser leaks are common, and usually manifest themselves as very slow leaks over time. Generally, the o-ring on the desiccant bag plug, on the bottom of the condenser is the cause of the slow leak. This can get worse over time allowing compressor oil to leak out as well, accelerating compressor wear. I've replaced a hundred or so f10 condensers for this failure. ( this failure point is also very common on the f15/16, the f30/31/33, f25, and the e84.) You can purchase the desiccant bag and plug kit separately, condenser removal is still required to replace it.
Any tips/tricks or cheats on replacing the condenser? I pulled mine into the garage last night to get started on this today. While looking everything over, it appears the front bumper blocks access to a couple bolts that have to come off. Notably, the center bolt for the top metal panel where the braces join up from the bottom and the plastic cover panel in the same area. Is bumper removal required? Can the transmission cooler be pulled/set out of the way without disconnecting lines? This might be obvious once I get into it, but figured I'd ask anyway.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2022, 07:24 AM   #9
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Looking at doing this as well on our 550. Do any of you know what the high and low side pressure is supposed to read?

Thank you in advance
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 01:55 AM   #10
Pipapo
Registered
Rep
Drives: M6gc

Hi there, im looking to doing the condenser replacement on my M6 and Ista tells me I have to remove the water cooler and the transmission cooler to replace the condenser. Is it really necessary to open up the hoses? As I'm assuming the water cooler has to be taken of to get on the clip for the transmission oil lines on the side. And the transmission oil cooler sits on a mounting on top the condenser with the steering cooler. But on Ista the pics are really bad. I don't know how tight all those coolers sits in the frame I think the only thing wich is blocking the condensers way out is the mounting from the transmission cooler. Hope you can give me an advise, wanted to drive on vacation next weekend but already looks like that won't happen.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2023, 07:07 AM   #11
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

^ Be sure to check if it's not the smaller rubber a/c drive belt that's snapped.
Appreciate 0