M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-26-2022, 10:07 PM   #1
amr_e90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335xi 6mt

CCBs noise complaint

So this has been discussed I'm sure in the past I just want to kind of see if there is any fresh news or tricks I can do to resolve this issue , my 40k mile f10 has me embarrassed to come to a stop recently with how loud the brakes have been . When the brakes get warm/hot the noise gets worst coming from all 4 corners seems like . I have tried cleaning them with a pressure washer but the problem comes back after a few hours of driving . Would removing the pads and sanding off a layer along with greasing the backing plates help at all ? Any input would be appreciated!

PG intakes
Evolve tune
Switzer exhaust
Fabworx pipes
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 12:54 AM   #2
SmokinJoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP, 2019 X5 40i

Sanding pads won’t do it. The best solution I have found is to thoroughly heat cycle the brakes and bed. First I’d clean them well with a power washer and a mild wheel cleaner. Next find a quiet open road to burn them in. Do a few light braking cycles from 60 down to 40 at light pedal pressure. This will slowly start to get the brakes up to temp. Now do a couple from 80 to 40 at 1/2 to 3/4 pedal pressure. Give yourself a minute between each brake cycle. At this point your ready to really bed them in. Get up into low triple digit speeds and do a full pressure stop to a near stop. Quickly get back up to cruising speed to get some airflow over the brakes. At this point you may smell them. Do 1 more aggressive stop after a short cool down and you should be good to go. I recommend doing several light pedal applications over the next several miles to let the brakes cool at a slow pace. Also avoid coming to a full stop at any point when the brakes are very hot. The pads sitting pressed against the hot rotors can cause problems. After all this you should be good. This should quiet down the brakes and usually lasts months depending on how you drive. Light city driving is what seems to make mine start to squeal, so I do this process once in a while and I’m all good. Before doing this check the condition of your rotors and pads and BE SAFE!
Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 07:32 AM   #3
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
^+1 After a good cleaning and spraying with the hose or pressure washer I go through bedding them and find that I am good for a while.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 07:19 PM   #4
amr_e90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
^+1 After a good cleaning and spraying with the hose or pressure washer I go through bedding them and find that I am good for a while.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
Sanding pads won't do it. The best solution I have found is to thoroughly heat cycle the brakes and bed. First I'd clean them well with a power washer and a mild wheel cleaner. Next find a quiet open road to burn them in. Do a few light braking cycles from 60 down to 40 at light pedal pressure. This will slowly start to get the brakes up to temp. Now do a couple from 80 to 40 at 1/2 to 3/4 pedal pressure. Give yourself a minute between each brake cycle. At this point your ready to really bed them in. Get up into low triple digit speeds and do a full pressure stop to a near stop. Quickly get back up to cruising speed to get some airflow over the brakes. At this point you may smell them. Do 1 more aggressive stop after a short cool down and you should be good to go. I recommend doing several light pedal applications over the next several miles to let the brakes cool at a slow pace. Also avoid coming to a full stop at any point when the brakes are very hot. The pads sitting pressed against the hot rotors can cause problems. After all this you should be good. This should quiet down the brakes and usually lasts months depending on how you drive. Light city driving is what seems to make mine start to squeal, so I do this process once in a while and I'm all good. Before doing this check the condition of your rotors and pads and BE SAFE!
Good luck.
Quote:

Thanks for input and a detailed procedure I will try this out before replacing or messing with the actual pads . I will report back if I have some success!

PG intakes
Evolve tune
Switzer exhaust
Fabworx pipes
Appreciate 1
      06-27-2022, 08:39 PM   #5
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Definitely be very careful with wheel cleaner solvents or tire dressings. The Rotors are very porous and can be damaged if too much is applied.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 09:40 PM   #6
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Maybe I am the only one who doesn't care or I remember the old days when I was driving my E36M3/4 with track pads on that will scare the living shit of the pedestrians. Honestly M5CCB isn't really as bad. I rarely have that noise
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 09:43 PM   #7
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
LOL, yeah I am prolly getting soft in my old age.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2022, 10:13 PM   #8
amr_e90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
Maybe I am the only one who doesn't care or I remember the old days when I was driving my E36M3/4 with track pads on that will scare the living shit of the pedestrians. Honestly M5CCB isn't really as bad. I rarely have that noise
Quote:
Yea I wouldn't care if it was once in a while or the first few braking applications but this is happening all the time during my drive especially when they warm up it gets bad which I thought was the other way around .

PG intakes
Evolve tune
Switzer exhaust
Fabworx pipes
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 10:41 PM   #9
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by amr_e90 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
Quote:
Yea I wouldn't care if it was once in a while or the first few braking applications but this is happening all the time during my drive especially when they warm up it gets bad which I thought was the other way around .
Maybe mine aren't as bad. I hear them once after first stop usually after coming off the highway in city traffic and then is usually gone, but it is nothing as I said in comparing to my old race pads
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 06:48 AM   #10
C-dub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Frozen White F10 M5 Comp

I get it when I drive in stop in go city traffic which annoyingly was my entire commute at my previous job. Like you, it started once they warmed up. I use a wheel cleaner/pressure washer and it goes away for a week or two. I was definitely nervous since BMW says don't use cleaners on the rotors but Ive talked to my Porsche friends and they've used this method for years with no issues. Haven't tried the bedding procedure listed above, but it sounds like good fun. I'll give it a shot. I have 2 sets of wheels, 601Ms with PS4S and Vossen VPS 306s with Cup2s. The 601Ms get the brake noise, but the Vossens have zero noise. I have no idea what causes it. More airflow? Smaller wheel pad(part of wheel that meets the hub)? I wonder if this phenomenon applies to other aftermarket wheels or just the stockers. Further question. Are you guys on 343Ms or 601Ms? I wonder if one of the other is worse. Lets do some science here. Maybe we can figure out a solution together.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 10:52 AM   #11
TinCanSailor
Rep

Garage List
Yeah it could be propagating through the hub and being amplified by by the wheel. I have the 433 style. The noise is there but not all the time and when it does appear soap and water and lite pressure wash clears it for a while.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2022, 09:14 PM   #12
SmokinJoe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-dub View Post
I get it when I drive in stop in go city traffic which annoyingly was my entire commute at my previous job. Like you, it started once they warmed up. I use a wheel cleaner/pressure washer and it goes away for a week or two. I was definitely nervous since BMW says don't use cleaners on the rotors but Ive talked to my Porsche friends and they've used this method for years with no issues. Haven't tried the bedding procedure listed above, but it sounds like good fun. I'll give it a shot. I have 2 sets of wheels, 601Ms with PS4S and Vossen VPS 306s with Cup2s. The 601Ms get the brake noise, but the Vossens have zero noise. I have no idea what causes it. More airflow? Smaller wheel pad(part of wheel that meets the hub)? I wonder if this phenomenon applies to other aftermarket wheels or just the stockers. Further question. Are you guys on 343Ms or 601Ms? I wonder if one of the other is worse. Lets do some science here. Maybe we can figure out a solution together.
That very interesting that the wheels make a difference. I’m on 601’s at the moment but have some bbs’s on the way. We’ll see if it makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2022, 06:59 AM   #13
amr_e90
Captain
United_States
Rep

I was also thinking since I'm running spacers maybe it's making it worst as it's applying tension to the outer portion of the hub/rotor just a thought ?

PG intakes
Evolve tune
Switzer exhaust
Fabworx pipes
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2022, 09:17 PM   #14
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Saw this one today, funny seems like Porsche people are complaining more

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2022, 09:37 PM   #15
C-dub
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Frozen White F10 M5 Comp

When I first got the car, coming to a stop, I heard a lower pitched hum that wasn't the normal high pitched squeal. I was concerned that something was wrong with my rotors and I was going to be hit with a massive repair bill. I inspected everything and it all looked good, so I nervously drove on. A couple days later a 911 gt3 with PCCBs pulled to a stop next to me and made the exact same sound. I've never been so happy to hear that dreadful noise.
Appreciate 1
      09-20-2022, 02:47 AM   #16
Jus.Static
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

Garage List
2016 BMW M5  [9.33]
I've learned to get use to the squeaking lol.. mine comes and goes and the heat cycle trick definitely helps to get minimal squeak.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2022, 07:25 AM   #17
Gbmw09
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Quote:
So this has been discussed I'm sure in the past I just want to kind of see if there is any fresh news or tricks I can do to resolve this issue , my 40k mile f10 has me embarrassed to come to a stop recently with how loud the brakes have been . When the brakes get warm/hot the noise gets worst coming from all 4 corners seems like . I have tried cleaning them with a pressure washer but the problem comes back after a few hours of driving . Would removing the pads and sanding off a layer along with greasing the backing plates help at all ? Any input would be appreciated!
Quote:
Thanks for the information man
Appreciate 0