M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

01-28-2018, 01:49 PM   #1
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Car shopping help

Want to leave the R8 stock.... Looking to add possibly two more cars to the mix.
Choices right now FF, 458, 488gtb (r8 will need to get sold) , Huracan (r8 probably need to get sold), 2017 R8 V10 Plus to the family...

Trying to work it so I could possibly get two cars, trying to spend less than 350k if two cars, and probably wanna be around 150-190 max, which puts 488GTB a tad out of the comfort zone to keep the R8, and high milage huracans just in range.

I know a few of our members have had extensive ownership with 458, curious what their thoughts are long term. Already have put 22k miles on my R8 and its reliability has been amazing only issues thus far... Oil sensor was 400 in parts 200 in labor, and my mag ride bit the dust (common problem on the cars equipped with them and something you should realize you might have to deal with) just swapped over to a fixed damper V10+ suspension.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2018, 02:19 PM   #2
David 12
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5 50i BSM, M Sport

For consideration:

2018 McLaren 720s $285k, why not go big?
2018 Corvette Z06 $80k, more of a daily warrior

Dave
Appreciate 1
M6-Coupe1124.50
      01-28-2018, 02:34 PM   #3
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David 12 View Post
For consideration:

2018 McLaren 720s $285k, why not go big?
2018 Corvette Z06 $80k, more of a daily warrior

Dave
Test drove the 720s didn't like how I got in and out of it, not really something I'd spend a bunch of time in kinda like an i8 where its such a PITA to get in and out of (I'm 6'1). Why I love my R8 and eying 458/488 cause its still able to park in a normal spot and hop in and out of with ease. Also Mclearn sudden depreciation is in the back of my mind at all times.

Not a z06 fan really and with their INSANE depreciation curve, I'd pass. Plus very common car in my area. My buddy cant give his 15' 2LT with 25k miles away fro 52k lol

I plan to stack miles on them (its a car and meant to be driven hence my 22k miles on my R8 since ownership in April) so highest milage 488s, and 458s are ideal so the hit is as little as possible on resale if I ever sell it (I usually do)
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 11:05 AM   #4
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

I have had a few of those cars mentioned and still have the 2017 R8. I think you know my feelings here:

FF- ehhhh used and dated tech, the TCU was slow in auto mode but I bought the car on a whim and it lasted a year- Its pretty bad ass in manual mode but the rear seats are essentially useless. Its one car I wish I didnt buy.

Huracan/458: great cars, great feel, sound, and sense of accomplishment yet I didnt use them; they just didnt fit my needs to "get up and go". They lacked the functionality I needed but so amazing to look at whether in the garage or parked somewhere. When I did drive them, they were very fast and just sounded so great. The Huracan with AWD was so easy just launch and go but again I didnt drive the car that much. These are "Event" cars or "look at me" and while thats not my intention, thats the what happens in the real world.

The Gen 2 R8 is amazing, you get all the power and speed of the Huracan with a much better interior and the durability/functionality of a daily "junior supercar". The launches, the rolls, the sound, and the amazing V10 normally aspirated car that has over 600hp--- find me another one outside of its sister that fits your price range? Nothing. The Mag Ride is spectacular but you need to get the non plus and just pop a 2k tune in to get back the HP/TQ that the plus has. Its all software between the 2 cars and nothing else, not even the exhaust.
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 12:26 PM   #5
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
I have had a few of those cars mentioned and still have the 2017 R8. I think you know my feelings here:

FF- ehhhh used and dated tech, the TCU was slow in auto mode but I bought the car on a whim and it lasted a year- Its pretty bad ass in manual mode but the rear seats are essentially useless. Its one car I wish I didnt buy.

Huracan/458: great cars, great feel, sound, and sense of accomplishment yet I didnt use them; they just didnt fit my needs to "get up and go". They lacked the functionality I needed but so amazing to look at whether in the garage or parked somewhere. When I did drive them, they were very fast and just sounded so great. The Huracan with AWD was so easy just launch and go but again I didnt drive the car that much. These are "Event" cars or "look at me" and while thats not my intention, thats the what happens in the real world.

The Gen 2 R8 is amazing, you get all the power and speed of the Huracan with a much better interior and the durability/functionality of a daily "junior supercar". The launches, the rolls, the sound, and the amazing V10 normally aspirated car that has over 600hp--- find me another one outside of its sister that fits your price range? Nothing. The Mag Ride is spectacular but you need to get the non plus and just pop a 2k tune in to get back the HP/TQ that the plus has. Its all software between the 2 cars and nothing else, not even the exhaust.

Yeah I really honestly like my Gen1, and to have already gotten a solid 21k miles out of it and still plenty of clutch life, and next to no problems. I think its proven itself as truly a useable car in every situation... I know how much better the Gen2 is just in overall functionality, I feel like having the ability to not cater to the R-tronics prissiness, would amplify the joy of the V10.

I do miss my mag ride a little bit even with the change to fixed dampers don't get me wrong I don't miss wondering if they're gonna die in 4k miles, or 30k, or 600. But going from mag-ride to fixed, its clear if the difference in price wasn't so drastic and a recurring problem I'd have opted to pay more for the mag ride.

Theres a 2017 in sarasota I'm looking at. I still debate even going to a Gen1, Stronic, but I feel the features, upgraded look of the 17s are worth 20-40k more (plus factory warranty).

There are a few 458s that I like but honestly not as many high milage ones as I'd want. I really want one someone loved, and drove to prove it wasn't having an gremlins. But most of the ones I'm finding with high miles have been passed around to 3-4 owners. Which to me when you're over 3 owners within a few years, even on an exotic. Someone got it and beat the shit out of it and didn't take care of it.

Thinking 2017 R8 + a flyer on a 2010-2012 458 is better than a single 650s, or 2015 huracan.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 12:30 PM   #6
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iRlz View Post
Yeah I really honestly like my Gen1, and to have already gotten a solid 21k miles out of it and still plenty of clutch life, and next to no problems. I think its proven itself as truly a useable car in every situation... I know how much better the Gen2 is just in overall functionality, I feel like having the ability to not cater to the R-tronics prissiness, would amplify the joy of the V10.

I do miss my mag ride a little bit even with the change to fixed dampers don't get me wrong I don't miss wondering if they're gonna die in 4k miles, or 30k, or 600. But going from mag-ride to fixed, its clear if the difference in price wasn't so drastic and a recurring problem I'd have opted to pay more for the mag ride.

Theres a 2017 in sarasota I'm looking at. I still debate even going to a Gen1, Stronic, but I feel the features, upgraded look of the 17s are worth 20-40k more (plus factory warranty).

There are a few 458s that I like but honestly not as many high milage ones as I'd want. I really want one someone loved, and drove to prove it wasn't having an gremlins. But most of the ones I'm finding with high miles have been passed around to 3-4 owners. Which to me when you're over 3 owners within a few years, even on an exotic. Someone got it and beat the shit out of it and didn't take care of it.

Thinking 2017 R8 + a flyer on a 2010-2012 458 is better than a single 650s, or 2015 huracan.
Oh forgot to mention that the DCT in the Gen 2 is so smooth and fluid. I wont even call it an S tronic since its better. But if you get a Gen 2 Plus, you lose the Mag ride which was deal killer for me. You can steal a Gen 2 Non Plus and tune it to be faster than a Plus. Its well documented over at R8Talk as you know.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2018, 12:39 PM   #7
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Oh forgot to mention that the DCT in the Gen 2 is so smooth and fluid. I wont even call it an S tronic since its better. But if you get a Gen 2 Plus, you lose the Mag ride which was deal killer for me. You can steal a Gen 2 Non Plus and tune it to be faster than a Plus. Its well documented over at R8Talk as you know.
Yeah, it was amazing to test drive the 2017 I did. As great as this cars been if I had to do it over (minus the accident lol that would have sucked in a gen 2 on the depreciation... Already had 3 people even with the accident and 21k new miles offer me 2k less than I paid so add in the 10k lost value check I've really made money on the car which is rare lol) I'd probably get that car..

Waiting to cash out a few home run stocks in a couple weeks so that'll cover the two cars. Probably just scoop up the 2017 R8 first since they're easier to come by then the right Ferrari.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2018, 12:04 PM   #8
Northern X5M
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tanzanite Blue M5

I ordered a MB GTR and should have it sometime in April. The Mercedes GT cars are great entry level supercars, tasteful styling and the maintenance should be somewhat moderate. Might also be worth consideration for a car you want to spend time in... or not.
      01-31-2018, 11:35 AM   #9
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAM555 View Post
Yea and your m5 will be faster then your "supercar"
Two different segments- aka apples and oranges and his GTR will school our M5's on the track stock vs stock or even if an M5 is modded to the hilt.

There is just more to a supercar than straight forward speed as Im sure you will agree with.

The AMG GTR is turning up amazing times vs the likes of cars with more hp. Its a straight up track car that can be street driven.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 11:58 AM   #10
Northern X5M
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tanzanite Blue M5

LOL. I think I will leave it at what Vic said. GTR turns faster times than GT3 RS, but not "supercar". OK I stand corrected.

My M5 was actually pretty slow when it was constantly broke from axles, diffs and transmissions (plural). 11.1 M5 vs. 11.4 GTR my ego can live with.

Last edited by Northern X5M; 01-31-2018 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 07:11 PM   #11
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern X5M View Post
I ordered a MB GTR and should have it sometime in April. The Mercedes GT cars are great entry level supercars, tasteful styling and the maintenance should be somewhat moderate. Might also be worth consideration for a car you want to spend time in... or not.
I'll look into it. I haven't driven one of the new GT cars they make I always wanted an SLS, but I really am leaning toward 2017 R8 upgrade on my 2012, and 458.

I got offered a good price locally on a 720s with 900 miles so the owner whose a friend has agreed to let me spend some time with it, an extra 70-80 miles which is a lifetime for his cars.

Quote:
Two different segments- aka apples and oranges and his GTR will school our M5's on the track stock vs stock or even if an M5 is modded to the hilt.

There is just more to a supercar than straight forward speed as Im sure you will agree with.

The AMG GTR is turning up amazing times vs the likes of cars with more hp. Its a straight up track car that can be street driven.
Yup, I wouldn't give a day of GTR time back, but the 3.5x less wheel horsepower I have with the R8 V10 and arguably much worse transmission in the R-tronic compared to the GTR dct. I absolutely love the experience the R8 gives totally different kind of experience totally different kind of immersion don't feel bad about the purchase at all.

Much more to this segment than can I beat insert car/ built car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern X5M View Post
LOL. I think I will leave it at what Vic said. GTR turns faster times than GT3 RS, but not "supercar". OK I stand corrected.

My M5 was actually pretty slow when it was constantly broke from axles, diffs and transmissions (plural). 11.1 M5 vs. 11.4 GTR my ego can live with.
it was doing supercar-ish things long before the performance we all now get was standard. From 07-2013 Not much in the car world besides built race cars could figure out how to beat a GTR, it took a longgggg time and a lot of wins for the GTR to be obsolete (I'd say its obsolete now even though the 2017s are what the car shoulda been from the start to command a 100k sticker, they are luxurious and fun to drive compared to my DBA 13' and not in the same league as the CBA 09-11 cars.

Its a unique experience and I'd say a one of a kind car, so I'd classify it in that rarer than performance car category but not quite supercar territory if that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 07:09 PM   #12
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
Want to leave the R8 stock.... Looking to add possibly two more cars to the mix.
Choices right now FF, 458, 488gtb (r8 will need to get sold) , Huracan (r8 probably need to get sold), 2017 R8 V10 Plus to the family...

Trying to work it so I could possibly get two cars, trying to spend less than 350k if two cars, and probably wanna be around 150-190 max, which puts 488GTB a tad out of the comfort zone to keep the R8, and high milage huracans just in range.

I know a few of our members have had extensive ownership with 458, curious what their thoughts are long term. Already have put 22k miles on my R8 and its reliability has been amazing only issues thus far... Oil sensor was 400 in parts 200 in labor, and my mag ride bit the dust (common problem on the cars equipped with them and something you should realize you might have to deal with) just swapped over to a fixed damper V10+ suspension.
Good luck on your choice I’m loving my 458, and I’m the third owner. History wise it’s a small ownership group, and many of these owners have 5 plus cars like Vic (:

Can’t drive all of them. I considered the 488, and my buddy hated the sound but it is fast. As Vic started the 458 has a killer sound, and intoxicating to drive. Easy to drive at low speeds to enjoy ......lots of video on YouTube with some 488 owners selling and picking up a 458 which is the last Ferrari NA V8. Good luck.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 07:42 PM   #13
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
Good luck on your choice I’m loving my 458, and I’m the third owner. History wise it’s a small ownership group, and many of these owners have 5 plus cars like Vic (:

Can’t drive all of them. I considered the 488, and my buddy hated the sound but it is fast. As Vic started the 458 has a killer sound, and intoxicating to drive. Easy to drive at low speeds to enjoy ......lots of video on YouTube with some 488 owners selling and picking up a 458 which is the last Ferrari NA V8. Good luck.

Yeah I've found a few that are well priced with 3+ owners that is kinda concerning for me, maybe less so than an R8 which is a cheaper car. But usually around 2 owners I start to worry.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 11:04 AM   #14
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I've found a few that are well priced with 3+ owners that is kinda concerning for me, maybe less so than an R8 which is a cheaper car. But usually around 2 owners I start to worry.
Remember the owners when considering the vehicles. I would not be wary of a two owner low mile Ferrari 458... as long as the service records are in line and the condition adds up you will be fine. I just dont see a 458 as a heavier use car. Its got dated tech and really it isnt super comfortable for a longer drive. But its so fun to drive and you just "feel" that Ferrari passion when you are rolling.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2018, 03:40 PM   #15
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Remember the owners when considering the vehicles. I would not be wary of a two owner low mile Ferrari 458... as long as the service records are in line and the condition adds up you will be fine. I just dont see a 458 as a heavier use car. Its got dated tech and really it isnt super comfortable for a longer drive. But its so fun to drive and you just "feel" that Ferrari passion when you are rolling.
Yeah I already feel dated in the 12' R8 and my 13' GTR was one of those GTR that had quirky bluetooth streaming issues. I don't care for the Apple play in the 2017 X3 I got, but you're very right the tech that used to feel great, now feels like you're in a 2006 Lexus with CD player and a pretty screen....

One reason I felt the FF would be a good option it was great for the 30 miles I spent in it very comfortable car. I've put 21k miles on the R8 since April so assuming its not much worse than a Gen1 R8 in ride quality comfort (they felt pretty close on the rides I've been in. Different seat options I think have different results, I didn't care for the OEM seats as much as the carbon race seats on my lower legs.

At least with a 360, Gallardo, or 430 its a simple head unit swap maybe some wiring, with the cars from 2009-2013 if you don't have bluetooth streaming you're at the mercy of how all the electronics play together or spending major dollars to overhaul the entire thing.

Constantly getting in and out of the car was a big factor and one reason I don't think a Mp412c or 650s/ 570s is in the cards, same with an i8 or anything where the doors are coming up and its a chore to get in and out of.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 01:25 PM   #16
NickBoz
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS Alpine White

Quote:
Yeah I already feel dated in the 12' R8 and my 13' GTR was one of those GTR that had quirky bluetooth streaming issues. I don't care for the Apple play in the 2017 X3 I got, but you're very right the tech that used to feel great, now feels like you're in a 2006 Lexus with CD player and a pretty screen....

I believe that he is talking about the AMG GTR not Nissan GTR, it seems that there is some confusion.

Our GTR we have is amazing, crazy power and hooks up really good, as long as your tires are warm. One could easily drive an AMG GTR almost every day as it can be a comfortable cruiser and when you need it to be, it can tear up any road or track any day of the week.

For the money, the car is 100% worth it.
2018 MB-AMG GTR designo Green Hell magno
2017 BMW M4 GTS Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2018, 05:08 PM   #17
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBoz View Post
I believe that he is talking about the AMG GTR not Nissan GTR, it seems that there is some confusion.

Our GTR we have is amazing, crazy power and hooks up really good, as long as your tires are warm. One could easily drive an AMG GTR almost every day as it can be a comfortable cruiser and when you need it to be, it can tear up any road or track any day of the week.

For the money, the car is 100% worth it.
I knew he was talking about the Benz lol.
Appreciate 0