Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

11-06-2015, 11:36 AM   #1
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Radical Design Changes coming for BMW

Saw this on BMWBlog today.

Although we all know what BMWBlog puts out is about 50% true, it does at least make us wonder. I believe the next generation 5-Series is pretty much set in stone at this point, so it's doubtful we will see anything radical going on there, but for the next 3-Series some big changes could be coming and I certainly hope so. Although I do see the Mercedes E-Class making a huge leap forward in design for their next generation, competition between the two brands is definitely still in lock-step march with each other. Mercedes is winning with their new C-Class at the moment, but they are still behind in other segments such as with their new GLE "Coupe" SUV.

I'm not looking forward to most, if not all BMW's of the future being hybrid though, but hey what can we do about it, pretty much nothing at this point. It should be clear by now that for BMW, their focus will be efficiency through their lightweight carbon core chassis systems and their new hybrid turbo drive train setups. For M cars, the next generation M5 and M6 are next up on the schedule even though they are still years away, and we will most probably see Carbon Core and Hybrid technology make their way into those cars too.

There is obviously a market for a FWD 1-Series and a 2-Series Gran Coupe in the future, but I do think that the BMW brand is becoming too diversified in its segments though. BMW should instead return to a focus on a making a few products great instead of having many products that are good. This is the old way of thinking however, and I would quickly be dragged out of today's BMW board room meetings for speaking such blasphemy. After all the point of BMW is sales right? Ultimate Driving Machine? That's what my Dad used to drive. I should probably look for a mint condition E39 M5 after I pay off the F10 M5.

http://www.bmwblog.com/2015/11/06/ne...design-change/

Last edited by RPiM5; 11-06-2015 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-06-2015, 12:04 PM   #2
bruza
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 M5 & '06 Volvo S60 R

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Saw this on BMWBlog today.

I should probably look for a mint condition E39 M5 after I pay off the F10 M5.
Now you're talking. I see myself doing this as well one day.

2021 M5 Competition Marina Bay Blue/ Individual Tartufo/ Individual Piano Black Trim. Took delivery 11/27/2020
2017 X5 ///M Silverstone/Mugello Red/ Carbon Fiber Trim Turned in 11/27/2020
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 08:03 PM   #3
E90potentialbuyer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 / 2009 335i xDrive

Good points never get old. The brand is too diversified to be everything to everyone willing to spend ~$30k and up.

If I was in charge of the brand, I would have the following lineup:
- 3 series sedan, wagon and coupe (and not call them 4 series)
- 5 series sedan and wagon (and kill the ugly dog-pooping posture car)
- 6 series coupe and gran coupe
- 7 series
- X3 and X5 (and kill the ugly X1. No reason why a crossover needs to be smaller than a X3). KILL X6
- M2, M3 (sedan, wagon and coupe and KILL M4 badge), M5 (sedan and wagon), M6 (coupe and GC), AND ADD M7
- Kill all M version of SUV's - I'm sorry but you think M7 is not practical and a X5M is? - even when this M SUV cannot have a 3rd row!!!
- Z4
- Kill i3 (too ugly and pointless), keep i8
- develop hydrogen technology vehicles further
- keep any sort of battery electric out of cars for now until Hydrogen power is perfected

I would also
- improve the quality of 3 series. I drove a loaner and they feel cheap and flimsy from inside. Mazda's have better interior feel than the 3 series
- make the interior more luxurious. Kill the Pleather seats in all versions (cloth or leather), All M cars should have full leather as a no cost option, make a lot of options standard (for god's sake a Kia and a Mazda these days have better standard kit) and raise the price if they want to preserve margins
- redo the interior of 7 series completely. rethink luxury. A champagne cooler in back is not luxury. There is an Asian minivan that has that in the front glove compartment!
- come back to the driving experience. The 328i xDrive I drove was crap. Felt slow and lethargic, the start stop was a disgrace, and the steering wheel feel was gone. The 5 series loaner felt slow as well. My 335i xdrive E90 is much more responsive than that. They have Cadillac, MB and other nipping at their heels (and in most cases already there) - time to wake up and improve driving experience.
- develop more pure bred sports cars (not hardcore track cars but sports cars for the road). Think AMG GT. Where is that? I'm planning to keep 3 cars - M5, Volvo XC90, and one such car. Bring that fun factor back. I8 is good but doesn't do it for me. Would take a AMG GT over that anyday. Brand is too mainstream...
- be the first to come up with an innovative design to reduce / eliminate the transmission tunnel hump in the rear cabin. The middle seat is unusable for anyone more than 4 years old...

My rambling thoughts on what I want BMW to be...
2017 Fiat 500C Abarth
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2015, 10:30 AM   #4
frisky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M5 Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90potentialbuyer View Post
- M2, M3 (sedan and coupe and KILL M4 badge), M5 (sedan and wagon), M6 (coupe and GC), AND ADD M7

When I visited the M Studio I asked them if they're planning an M7. His answer confirmed to me that they are indeed working on it. I wouldnt be surprised if they do launch it in a few years. But dont hold me to that. ;-)

f.
2016 ///M5 Individual | Frozen Cashmere Silver Metallic | Amaro Brown Full Leather w/ Custom Special Order White Contrast Stitching | Piano Black Trim | Custom Headliner | Competition Package w/ 601M wheels | Executive Package | Drivers Assistance Package | Bang & Olufsen |
European Delivery: October 10 2015 [Pictures here]
@friskygeek
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2015, 04:50 PM   #5
desertfox73
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 / 2018 F85

OP, I completely agree with your comment about "the ultimate driving machine". It seems this phrase, which was the heart of the BMW brand, applies to an ever-shrinking percentage of the Bimmer lineup.

And in terms of design (cars, not SUVs) I personally think Mercedes is pulling away from the pack whereas the design directive at BMW appears to involve adding a crease wherever possible, evolving towards Lincoln:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0