Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-13-2024, 11:21 AM   #1
AKRM2C
Just an F Series Owner
Indonesia
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Headlight severe condensation f10 m5

Hi everyone! My car is an MY 2012 BMW F10 M5 (pre LCI).

I have retrofitted an LCI LED Adaptive Headlight original from BMW. However, i kept getting severe condensation after a wash. Believe it or not, its been my third headlight that has severe condensation that also shorts out both the TMS module and LHM Ballast Module.

Question is,

1. is there any difference on the mounts/frame of the headlight between LCI M5 and Pre-LCI M5?

2. Is there a specific way to install the LCI M5 Headlight to avoid such severe condensation?

3. Check both Vents on the inner side and outer side is not blocked, yet after every wash, once the engine warms up, the heat from engine gets the headlight misty, and it gets worse and worse until it shorts out all the modules in it.

All 3 Headlights are brand new purchased from Bmw Dealership. Not some knock off chinese or used one.

And if youre wondering how long did the light survived until it gets severely condensated after a wash? Less than a week.

Im so frustrated, i hope somebody can help me here.

Anyone faced this issue and found the fix? Thank you very much.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 08:52 PM   #2
e4603
Private
Rep
Drives: F10

Refer to the first post which states one of the bolts are longer and cracked the headlight. The bolts on my 535 xdrive are the same length but double check yours.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/headlight-leaking-condensation-and-fix-saga.1444527/?post_id=13774011&nested_view=1&sortby=oldest#post-13774011
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 11:34 PM   #3
M_Bimmer
Captain
Rep
Drives: G12 B7, G07 XB7, F02 B7, 991.1

While this topic has been talked about agnosium, I will say that the management of water ingress is sort of the key in your case.

One possible way to manage this is to remove the large round cap on the top of the headlight assembly and keep the cap off for a while. Allow the Sun and engine heat to constantly allow evaporation during vehicle use and use the Sun while your car is parked during the day..

One rain or carwash should not allow enough water ingress to kill your headlight, or you have a huge hole similar to the previous post, it's the accumulation that kills your headlight. If evaporation is not allowed to escape at the rate of water ingress, you merely allow the headlight to "fill-up" with water to a point where it becomes catestropic and expensive to fix your headlight. If you need to use the carwash, put the cap back on, and after the carwash, remove the headlight cap.

It does help to use sealant along the seam of each headlight between the black bucket and the clear lens and make sure you headlight eyebrow gasket is intake. Cheap insurance to replace that gasket if it is compromised.

This may seem like nonsense, but it's this, or continue to replace with new headlights on a regular schedule.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 12:29 PM   #4
AKRM2C
Just an F Series Owner
Indonesia
Rep

hi! thanks for the reply!, my headlight is adaptive, there is no cap on top.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 12:35 PM   #5
AKRM2C
Just an F Series Owner
Indonesia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e4603 View Post
Refer to the first post which states one of the bolts are longer and cracked the headlight. The bolts on my 535 xdrive are the same length but double check yours.
https://www.bimmerfest.com/threads/h...#post-13774011
Oh wow, I will definitely look into this. cars currently at the dealer. trying to claim my warranty for the headlight.

however, the condensation only appears after several days. on the day the headlight is installed, it's water tested and it's washed before the car was handed over to me, and everything is fine. I don't get why only after 2 weeks it starts acting up.

very much appreciated for the info e4603. will update once i checked my headlight.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 11:29 AM   #6
AKRM2C
Just an F Series Owner
Indonesia
Rep

Update in this, checked my car today, and yes sadly left and right screw is incorrect size and have messed up the plastic on my headlight. Now theres a hole in it. And also, its been done by the bmw dealer. Will let them know about this and ill be needing some explanation. I really appreciate the help tho! Shouldve asked this forum from way back!

Also. Anyone knows the part number for the correct bolt? Thank you very much!!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 11:31 AM   #7
AKRM2C
Just an F Series Owner
Indonesia
Rep

Also, one more thing, since both my TMS AND LHM ballast modules are water damaged, left and right, are they by any chance repairable?
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 12:23 PM   #8
AKRM2C
Just an F Series Owner
Indonesia
Rep

Hi, anyone has the correct part number for the bolts? Thank you
Appreciate 0