BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-26-2018, 09:28 AM   #1
SuperF10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

Rubbing in rear

My car is completely gone stock. I am running the stock tire sizes with brand new Michelin Pilot 4S. The car has no noise until 20-25mph and then there is a rotational metal noise coming from the passenger rear tire area. The noise will continue all the way through no matter the speed until the car is traveling under 20MPH. My rear brakes are almost due, they have 5mm left on the pads. I've checked the brake shields for rocks and there was nothing. What could it be? It's very loud
      05-29-2018, 03:39 AM   #2
theinfamousdrew
I'm The Captain Now
Rep
Drives: X5M/X7

Garage List
I had this happen to me on another car of mine.
It turned out to be a heat shield that was rubbing on the driveshaft.
Like your case, mine was only above a certain speed and this was due to the force of air pushing it back until it made contact with the driveshaft.

Might be something to inspect. I found it by inspecting all rotating parts (axles/driveshaft) under the car until I found the fresh marks on the driveshaft where it was rubbing.

Just something to check.

Turn on. Tune in. Drop out.
IG: @InfamousCarGuy

Appreciate 0
      05-29-2018, 01:50 PM   #3
SuperF10
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamousdrew View Post
Like your case, mine was only above a certain speed and this was due to the force of air pushing it back until it made contact with the driveshaft.

Might be something to inspect. I found it by inspecting all rotating parts (axles/driveshaft) under the car until I found the fresh marks on the driveshaft where it was rubbing.

Just something to check.
I'm going to lift it up today and check. Thank you for the suggestion. I was thinking it is the wheel bearing.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 09:48 AM   #4
SuperF10
Private First Class
Rep

The noise is very loud, I cant re create the sound with the car jacked up. I checked the heat shields and nothing is bent. It's definitely not the brake shield, the first thing I did was push that all back and the noise was still present. No rocks in caliper/pad.

The noise starts around 20mph and stays pretty consistent all the way up the mph getting just slightly louder. I'm thinking it's a bad rear wheel bearing but how common is that? I know we have to replace the whole hub assembly so I was trying to avoid that but I think that may be the problem. I cannot emphasize the level of volume the rubbing produces. It is a purely rotational rubbing noise, not really a metal scraping noise just a super loud rub.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 01:07 PM   #5
Patrick86ed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 m5

Did you ever find a solution to this? My f10 is doing the same thing, I cannot find where the sound is coming from and it's driving me crazy. Seems to happen more on deceleration.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 01:09 PM   #6
Patrick86ed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by theinfamousdrew View Post

Just something to check.
What heat shield did you find rubbing? My car is on jack stands as we speak looking for same noise.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2018, 06:32 PM   #7
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick86ed View Post
What heat shield did you find rubbing? My car is on jack stands as we speak looking for same noise.
I read on forum a while ago that someone else was having rubbing issue due to loose rear stabiliser bar.Would have to get it on ramp with full weight still on wheels probably to check.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2018, 09:32 AM   #8
SuperF10
Private First Class
Rep

It was the passenger side wheel hub. Once I replaced it the noise was completely gone. Check into the hubs, they fail frequently.

Shift the weight of the car by slightly swerving at safe speeds. If the noise disappears then it’s a hub.
Appreciate 0