M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

10-03-2018, 06:46 AM   #1
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Open Flash Tablet Installed

When it comes to IT I am a total fool so even basic actions are not second nature.

Luckily for me then that Open Flash have fantastic customer service and a quick message to Anthony and he was online and had taken control of my PC, it was running Windows 8!!

I just sat back and watched as all of the files were uploaded and then Anthony loaded two maps, both stage 1 with or without burbles.

So with the OFT ready to go I went into the garage to follow the instructions, I connected a battery charger and it was pulling about 25amps when updating, its a little nerve wracking listening to all of the chimes and watching warning after warning flash up but its not a drama when OFT have inspired such confidence.

After about 45 mins everything was done, so at 12:30am called it a day and went to bed.

Went for a drive this morning and its evident that the map has been loaded.

The drivability of the car is improved its a lot smoother to drive and you don't need to press the accelerator as far to make progress. You feel as though the car wants to pull forward with less effort, even at normal speeds.

Under full acceleration its brutal and in England with temperatures so low wheel spin is a real issue unless you learn how to drive the car properly.

It really is quick and at 100mph seemed to hit a power band and the TC light came on. Not sure why it would lose traction at this speed as the road was dry but the power really surged.

This map improves an already great car.

One thing is clear I need to switch the standard Pirelli P Zeros for Michelin PS4s

The OFT product and the service I have received is brilliant and for me this is the future of vehicle mapping.

There will be a lot of tuning companies who still insist you go to them to have a map suffering unless they move with the times.

Just need to load the burble map now and see what that's like.

All in all a great experience, especially given that this is a secondhand OFT bought from a friend in the UK.

Open Flash treated me like any other customer even though I had not spent any money with them directly.

Try getting that from a traditional tuning company.

Anthony, Shiv I owe you a drink

Last edited by OneExtra; 10-03-2018 at 08:47 AM..
Appreciate 2
OpenFlash1737.00
      10-03-2018, 06:55 AM   #2
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

Very cool, thanks for the review. I think I am going to go their route very soon, these reviews make my decision much easier. I have to pick up a battery charger though.
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 08:06 AM   #3
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireM5 View Post
Very cool, thanks for the review. I think I am going to go their route very soon, these reviews make my decision much easier. I have to pick up a battery charger though.
I had to buy one as well cost £130. Just make sure it will charge at least 30amps
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 08:09 AM   #4
SapphireM5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
Quote:
I had to buy one as well cost £130. Just make sure it will charge at least 30amps
Great thanks for the heads up!
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 04:24 PM   #5
Somy6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW Monte Carlo Blue M5

Yup, welcome to the happy side
Appreciate 1
OpenFlash1737.00
      10-03-2018, 04:37 PM   #6
SapphireM5
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somy6 View Post
Yup, welcome to the happy side
Thanks!! Stupid question, where do you hook up the battery charger to? I have read never hook it directly to the battery. Hook up under the hood?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 05:14 PM   #7
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks!! Stupid question, where do you hook up the battery charger to? I have read never hook it directly to the battery. Hook up under the hood?

Thanks
On the left of the engine there is a red plastic cover which you lift for the positive and at the front of the engine on the left there is a metal post for the negative.

Easy to connect to.

Have a look in the manual it's simple even for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 05:20 PM   #8
SapphireM5
Major
Rep

Quote:
On the left of the engine there is a red plastic cover which you lift for the positive and at the front of the engine on the left there is a metal post for the negative.

Easy to connect to.

Have a look in the manual it's simple even for me.
Thanks Thats where I have my battery tender leads hooked up. Just wanted to confirm use the under hood connections and not the battery directly. Im so pumped I cant wait to pull the trigger on this tune.

Thanks Guys
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2018, 06:02 PM   #9
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks Thats where I have my battery tender leads hooked up. Just wanted to confirm use the under hood connections and not the battery directly. Im so pumped I cant wait to pull the trigger on this tune.

Thanks Guys
Just do it.
Appreciate 1
OpenFlash1737.00
      10-04-2018, 01:40 AM   #10
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Thank you for the review!

We're happy to have you using our hardware! Please reach out if you need anything more!

~Anthony
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2018, 05:27 PM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Thank you for the review

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 01:02 PM   #12
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Just thought I would drop you a quick update OpenFlash

Loaded the burble map and took it to a car meet, everyone agreed it sounded epic, great when just revving and even better under load, put the non burble back on and it sounded very quiet and quite reserved so will be going with the burble all of the time.

The M5 now sounds like a V8 should sound!

Will hopefully take the car on a rolling road next week and do a power run of the stage 1 with and without burbles to see if there is any difference

It would be good to return to stock to compare to the stage 1 but I can't wait 40 mins to upload the factory tune. Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 01:07 PM   #13
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Just thought I would drop you a quick update OpenFlash

Loaded the burble map and took it to a car meet, everyone agreed it sounded epic, great when just revving and even better under load, put the non burble back on and it sounded very quiet and quite reserved so will be going with the burble all of the time.

The M5 now sounds like a V8 should sound!

Will hopefully take the car on a rolling road next week and do a power run of the stage 1 with and without burbles to see if there is any difference

It would be good to return to stock to compare to the stage 1 but I can't wait 40 mins to upload the factory tune. Any ideas?
Nice... I can send you a version of the factory tune that writes quickly. The slow writes are only necessary when a full write is required (flashing to stock or flashing from stock). Quick writes occur when flashing between non-stock tune files. I can create a stock tune file with a small innocuous change (ie, raising the rev limiter by 1rpm) which would essentially make it a non-stock tune file and allow for a quick write
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 01:14 PM   #14
Somy6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Any danger in burble tune? Given you have to pull timing or whatever to create the burble??

I'm so in love with my M5 with the Openflash tune. Would love more sound for sure
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2018, 02:03 PM   #15
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenFlash View Post
Nice... I can send you a version of the factory tune that writes quickly. The slow writes are only necessary when a full write is required (flashing to stock or flashing from stock). Quick writes occur when flashing between non-stock tune files. I can create a stock tune file with a small innocuous change (ie, raising the rev limiter by 1rpm) which would essentially make it a non-stock tune file and allow for a quick write
That sounds like a perfect solution, do you have my email address?

Many thanks for the quick initial response
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 12:59 AM   #16
rsuhandy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F06 M6;E92 M3;E85 Z4M; 958 SEH

Quote:
Any danger in burble tune? Given you have to pull timing or whatever to create the burble??

I'm so in love with my M5 with the Openflash tune. Would love more sound for sure
Would be interested in knowing the answer to this as well!
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 03:14 AM   #17
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsuhandy View Post
Would be interested in knowing the answer to this as well!
I would think its partly to do with fueling but don't have a clue, I am sure OpenFlash will be along to answer this.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 09:32 AM   #18
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That sounds like a perfect solution, do you have my email address?

Many thanks for the quick initial response
Please PM me your name and address and I can get you the file tonight
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 09:34 AM   #19
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

No danger at all. Our burbles are quite subtle and there only for aural delights Some timing is pulled to create burbles but only at very low load where combustion temps are minimal.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 10:07 AM   #20
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Please PM me your name and address and I can get you the file tonight
PM sent

Many thanks for doing this, will post up the results when I get them
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 12:58 PM   #21
Somy6
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No danger at all. Our burbles are quite subtle and there only for aural delights Some timing is pulled to create burbles but only at very low load where combustion temps are minimal.
Good to know, Thanks! Burbles are V1.0 or V1.1?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2018, 03:09 PM   #22
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Good to know, Thanks! Burbles are V1.0 or V1.1?
I have two maps

V1.1 stage 1
V1.1 stage 1 burbles
Appreciate 0