M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

09-19-2014, 12:06 AM   #1
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

iPhone 6 Snap-In Cradle

You think BMW will come out with a new snap-in cradle to accommodate the slightly larger iPhone 6? Maybe they will have one for the 6 Plus as well?

I do remember the hassle it was just to obtain a cradle for the iP5. I don't know how BMW has handled new cradles for the latest phones in the past. But with the smart phone market share Apple has with it's iPhone, one would think BMW is already working on it? Apple releases dimension specs to certain companies way before the release date.

Hopefully they do. We can still hook the phone up via USB, but you loose out on the shark fin advantage and convenience.
      09-19-2014, 06:38 AM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
For the 6 it will be a long wait. They haven't yet launched a dock for the Galaxy S5. I reckon it could be a 9-12 month wait.

As for the 6+ I don't think that will get a dock. They never did a dock for the Note.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2014, 08:10 PM   #3
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
The snap-in for the iPhone 5 came out around the same time the 5s was released. That means a year from now is not an unreasonable guess for a snap in for the 6. The only good news is that the 5 cradle may have required electronic changes because Apple shifted to the Lightning connector. The 6 is just a physical change so that it can fit.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 02:42 PM   #4
DietCokeOfEvil
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

It might have taken a year because of the input change (Lightening connector). Hopefully this time around, since it's just a form-factor change, it'll be a quicker design-to-manufacturing time.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 06:29 PM   #5
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch
You think BMW will come out with a new snap-in cradle to accommodate the slightly larger iPhone 6? Maybe they will have one for the 6 Plus as well?

I do remember the hassle it was just to obtain a cradle for the iP5. I don't know how BMW has handled new cradles for the latest phones in the past. But with the smart phone market share Apple has with it's iPhone, one would think BMW is already working on it? Apple releases dimension specs to certain companies way before the release date.

Hopefully they do. We can still hook the phone up via USB, but you loose out on the shark fin advantage and convenience.
@avlnch I just noticed that the iPhone 6 in case fits perfectly in the snap in connector cover which comes with the car. In principe you could modify the cover to drill a lightning cable through it and somehow fasten it in place to create a DIY dock. Given the size of the phone it won't move about since it perfectly wedges into that gap.

This guy did it with iPhone 5 but with 6 it should work better because of size.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=650352" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.bimmerfes...p?t=650352</a>

Would you have a sense on how to do this? The challenge is getting the connector firmly placed so it won't move.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 07:22 PM   #6
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Quote:

@avlnch I just noticed that the iPhone 6 in case fits perfectly in the snap in connector cover which comes with the car. In principe you could modify the cover to drill a lightning cable through it and somehow fasten it in place to create a DIY dock. Given the size of the phone it won't move about since it perfectly wedges into that gap.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=650352" rel="ugc" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.bimmerfes...p?t=650352</a>

Would you have a sense on how to do this? The challenge is getting the connector firmly placed so it won't move.
Interesting... I'll have to look.

If you have a Dremel tool it shouldn't be too hard. You can drill one hole for the Lightning cable and it's connector housing to enter, then another hole right next to it that is just the size of the rubber cable portion. Insert cable into hole 1 then slide it across to secure into hole 2. That's one way at least.
      10-15-2014, 09:54 PM   #7
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Quote:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=650352" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.bimmerfes...p?t=650352</a>

Interesting... I'll have to look.

If you have a Dremel tool it shouldn't be too hard. You can drill one hole for the Lightning cable and it's connector housing to enter, then another hole right next to it that is just the size of the rubber cable portion. Insert cable into hole 1 then slide it across to secure into hole 2. That's one way at least.
The other guy used hot glue to fasten it tightly in place. I will try this soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 10:40 PM   #8
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
I did it. iPhone 6 fits perfectly. In some ways it's better than the real thing because it doesn't have that stiff latch.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0