M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

11-07-2012, 12:43 PM   #1
zzzmmm
SICK
Rep
Drives: MCB F10 M5

view text messages on idrive?

I have the cradle for the Iphone 4s and while listening to music, I get the ding for a text msg. Pain in the a to lift console and check text while driving or stopped at light. Any way to check text msgs on Idrive? didn't help
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2012, 04:43 PM   #2
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

Have you upgraded to iOS 6? Is your phone's Bluetooth connection still active?
      11-07-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Voice command: "Office Messages."
      11-07-2012, 08:04 PM   #4
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

1. Get iOS 6

2. On the phone, go to Settings > Bluetooth > the blue arrow for your car's profile. Turn on "Show Notifications".

3. Under Settings > Notifications, make sure texts and emails are set to have some type of alert or banner, and are enabled for the lock screen if you want both. Note that email delivery to iDrive is spotty right now, though I kept emails off since I don't want to ruin my car by turning it into yet another place I'm plagued with email anyway.

4. Go to www.bmw.com/update and download any iDrive Bluetooth update that may be available there to install in your car.

Only NEW texts and/or emails that you receive while the phone's display is off will show up on iDrive, under ConnectedDrive > Messages. And they'll be auto-deleted from iDrive (but not the phone) when you turn the car off. There's no manual way to delete them from the display or the phone using the car.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #5
zzzmmm
SICK
Rep
Drives: MCB F10 M5

many thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 01:31 PM   #6
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
1. Get iOS 6

2. On the phone, go to Settings > Bluetooth > the blue arrow for your car's profile. Turn on "Show Notifications".

3. Under Settings > Notifications, make sure texts and emails are set to have some type of alert or banner, and are enabled for the lock screen if you want both. Note that email delivery to iDrive is spotty right now, though I kept emails off since I don't want to ruin my car by turning it into yet another place I'm plagued with email anyway.

4. Go to www.bmw.com/update and download any iDrive Bluetooth update that may be available there to install in your car.

Only NEW texts and/or emails that you receive while the phone's display is off will show up on iDrive, under ConnectedDrive > Messages. And they'll be auto-deleted from iDrive (but not the phone) when you turn the car off. There's no manual way to delete them from the display or the phone using the car.
what about voice to text? so you wont have to be so dangeruos while driving?

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainly View Post
what about voice to text? so you wont have to be so dangeruos while driving?

Not supported. I doubt BMW will do that anytime soon especially since they're announced they're going to work on integrating their cars with Siri, who can do that. Of course that will leave Android users out in the cold, but this wouldn't be the first time BMW has done that -- and Android users are probably used to that happening in general.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #8
mdernst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tesla Model S

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Not supported. I doubt BMW will do that anytime soon especially since they're announced they're going to work on integrating their cars with Siri, who can do that. Of course that will leave Android users out in the cold, but this wouldn't be the first time BMW has done that -- and Android users are probably used to that happening in general.
Actually, you can. My 2013 has Dragon Drive! Messaging by Nuance and I can dictate messages to the car.

BMW Dragon Drive
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #9
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdernst View Post
Actually, you can. My 2013 has Dragon Drive! Messaging by Nuance and I can dictate messages to the car.

BMW Dragon Drive
so you can reply to a text and just talk the response outloud?

... i didnt have time to check if i have the ump-teen requirements they list in order for you to access this feature.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 08:52 AM   #10
mdernst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainly View Post
so you can reply to a text and just talk the response outloud?

... i didnt have time to check if i have the ump-teen requirements they list in order for you to access this feature.
Yes. The "catch" is Dragon Drive is a subscription service. You can start the service in the car and get 60 days free but eventually you have to go to their web site and subscribe. I believe it's $39/yr.

Also, I can't speak for whether or not this is available internationally - I can only tell you it is available in the U.S.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 08:54 AM   #11
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
How well does it work?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #12
mdernst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
How well does it work?
Amazingly well. I'm typically not a big fan of the voice recognition systems because I don't find they work that well but I was pleasantly surprised by how well this worked. I can dictate a 15 - 20 word message and it will get every word correct, say, 90% of the time.

If I recall, the way I found it in the car was I was reading text messages on the iDrive screen and noticed one of the graphic menu items was "Reply" - when I selected it the whole Dragon Drive! dictation thing came up.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2012, 09:29 AM   #13
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Amazingly well. I'm typically not a big fan of the voice recognition systems because I don't find they work that well but I was pleasantly surprised by how well this worked. I can dictate a 15 - 20 word message and it will get every word correct, say, 90% of the time.

If I recall, the way I found it in the car was I was reading text messages on the iDrive screen and noticed one of the graphic menu items was "Reply" - when I selected it the whole Dragon Drive! dictation thing came up.

Mike
Excellent. I will sign up for this as soon as my car arrives.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 10:19 AM   #14
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Interesting find! It appears that this only works on the brand new iDrive system, so owners outside the US with the 2012 model are apparently stuck, as am I.

Gone but not forgotten:
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 03:13 PM   #15
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Mike
Mike - what kind of phone are you using? With what OS?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #16
mdernst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Mike - what kind of phone are you using? With what OS?
Funny you should ask that today. When I wrote all of the above I was using a Samsung Galaxy S III running Android Ice Cream Sandwich. I switched back to an iPhone 5 on Saturday and now things don't work as well. I can dictate a text message and it acts like it's working but it never sends the text using the iPhone.

My experience so far with the iPhone 5 versus the Galaxy S III is that, as far as messaging goes, the Galaxy was much better than Apple. All of my texts on the Galaxy would load to the iDrive screen whereas with the iPhone the only time I see a text is if I receive it while the phone is connected to the car. In addition I can no longer reply to messages via iDrive with the iPhone.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #17
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Funny you should ask that today. When I wrote all of the above I was using a Samsung Galaxy S III running Android Ice Cream Sandwich. I switched back to an iPhone 5 on Saturday and now things don't work as well. I can dictate a text message and it acts like it's working but it never sends the text using the iPhone.

My experience so far with the iPhone 5 versus the Galaxy S III is that, as far as messaging goes, the Galaxy was much better than Apple. All of my texts on the Galaxy would load to the iDrive screen whereas with the iPhone the only time I see a text is if I receive it while the phone is connected to the car. In addition I can no longer reply to messages via iDrive with the iPhone.

Mike
Does BMW Apps work with the Android phone? Do you have Web Radio, Facebook, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 06:53 PM   #18
mdernst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Does BMW Apps work with the Android phone? Do you have Web Radio, Facebook, etc.
No and that's part of the reason I decided to go back to iPhone. Unfortunately, iPhone 5 with iOS 6.01 is a big disappointment in the message compatibility with the BMW. At least for me.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #19
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
No and that's part of the reason I decided to go back to iPhone. Unfortunately, iPhone 5 with iOS 6.01 is a big disappointment in the message compatibility with the BMW. At least for me.

Mike
I think phone compatibility is more important than WebRadio and Facebook. This poses a dilemma for me.

I am quite embedded in the Apple ecosystem with iCloud so switching to Android is not easy - I would lose the seamless experience between iPad, Macbook Air, iMac and iPhone.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2012, 07:01 PM   #20
mdernst
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
I think phone compatibility is more important than WebRadio and Facebook. This poses a dilemma for me.

I am quite embedded in the Apple ecosystem with iCloud so switching to Android is not easy - I would lose the seamless experience between iPad, Macbook Air, iMac and iPhone.
I hear you and agree. I've been on iPhone since it came out and decided to try out Android about 4 or 5 months ago. I like it okay but I like the integration with my iPad and Macbook Pro using iPhone.

I am extremely disappointed with the way the M5 and iPhone 5 play together with regards to BMW Office and at this point I'm hoping either an Apple or BMW software update make things better at some point in the near future.

...But I'm not holding my breath either...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #21
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Any update of this? Is Dragon dictation working with the F10 2013? What is the annual subscription cost? Thanks.
      11-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #22
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Excellent. I will sign up for this as soon as my car arrives.
Not sure if this bothers anyone. I haven't read the Apple agreement regarding Siri, but below is Dragon's. It looks like they record everything you say (er .. dictate).

If I can get Siri to integrate with my 2013 model, I think I'll stick with it. No subscription and hopefully Apple isn't recording everything I say.

"As a part of the Dragon Drive! Messaging service, the system collects and uses speech data (audio files of words dictated by you when you use the service, associated transcriptions and log files generated in connection with your use of the service) only for the purpose of providing the Dragon Drive! Messaging service and to tune, develop, enhance and improve the speech recognition technology and other components of the Dragon Drive! Messaging service, and other Nuance products and services. Nuance will not use the speech data and any information content embedded therein except as set forth above."