M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

06-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #23
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_jeremy
This is a BETA version people, so it's bound to be buggy.
As of now, it will cause you issues, battery life, unstable performance, it's a part of the deal with these BETA versions.
As for looks goes, sure it have resemblence with other OS out there.
It's like other industries really, that look over each shoulders and made a tweak of what allready is out there.
The Iphone came in 07, and was due for a fresh new look, as for usage, it's basicly the same.
But what they have done with the IOS7 is make the whole thing more elegant and streamlined it.
but until the 5S is shown, the full potential of the IOS7 is yet to be seen.
Yes of course we know this.

We are discussing and sharing the issues within iOS7b1. Which is exactly what everyone else is doing to get the GM ready for everyone else.
      06-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #24
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

After an effort to troubleshoot the excess battery drain issue, I may of found a temporary work around to avoid excess battery drain. This has helped my device from draining excessively while in standby mode. Also noticed a bit less drain while device is in use.

I would recommend the following:

Start Here: Reset your network settings, which can be done by going to settings, general, reset, and tap reset network settings.

Now after the device powers back up, modify the below settings.. the first couple are very important, and the rest are less important, but will greatly assist with battery life. Since most betas are full of battery drain holes, you need all the help you can get with extending the battery life.

1. Turn off automatic downloading for Updates (in settings). As just a precautionary measure, also turn off Music, Apps, and Books.
Loc: iTunes & AppStores

2. Turn off background app refresh option for all apps listed such as weather, stocks, and nytimes.
Loc: General>Backgrnd App Refsh

3. Disable cellular LTE to reduce battery drain. You can always turn it back on temporarily when you need the extra down speed, but keep it off as much as possible.
Loc: Settings>Cellular

4. Turn off Bluetooth. I have a dedicated iP5 in my M5 which I keep in the cradle. Used for music and a backup in-car phone (you can connect two phones to BT at the same time). If you use your iP5 for BT/audio in your M, then use the cradle, or tether the device to the car via USB, or if you must, turn BT on only when you need it..
Loc: Settings>Bluetooth

5. Turn off Personal Hotspot.
Loc: Settings>Personal Hotspot

6. Ensure that auto-brightness setting is switched on. Then manually lower the brightness slider to as low as you can stand.
Loc: Settings>Brightness & Wall

Suggestions:
-- Background Apps: To view apps that are running in the background, double tap the home button. Try to kill as many apps as you can as often as you can.

-- Monitor your CPU usage by downloading and using an app called 'system status'. If your CPU usage isn't hanging out between 05%-10% with zero or just a few apps running, then close app by app to see which one is causing the high load. If it's not an app, reset network settings and that should solve the issue. Don't forget to rejoin your wifi network after the reset.
      06-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #25
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Be aware that some of the new feature menus that apple has just introduced, sucks up a ton of cpu resources and as a result drains your battery at an increased rate. I was experiencing an average load of 7%. Then while testing the effect these new features had on the cpu, they sucked up additional cpu load:
-- Background Apps Menu: +50%
-- Control Panel Menu: +30%
-- Notification Menu: +15%
-- Menu Folder View

Avoiding these menus or using them for very short periods of time will greatly save your battery life.

Try it out yourself.. use the system status app, find the system resources graph (takes up the whole page), and try out different iOS features (like the above mentioned menus) and some of your favorite apps. For example open an app and do nothing for fifteen seconds and then switch back to the graph to check how much resources it took up.

Learning and knowing exactly where these excess battery drain holes are allows you and helps you to recognize what you shouldn't do for too long to maximize battery life.
      06-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #26
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
After an effort to troubleshoot the excess battery drain issue, I may of found a temporary work around to avoid excess battery drain. This has helped my device from draining excessively while in standby mode. Also noticed a bit less drain while device is in use.
Good stuff.

Why do you think LTE uses more power than 4G? I would have thought faster transmit and receive cycles would save power.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 03:34 PM   #27
kylek13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5 Frozen Grey

I think its pretty widely accepted edge uses the least amount of battery followed by 3g, 4g, then lte.....more speed more energy?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #28
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylek13 View Post
I think its pretty widely accepted edge uses the least amount of battery followed by 3g, 4g, then lte.....more speed more energy?
Not necessarily. TDMA had low speed and high energy usage. Also newer technologies tend to be more efficient in standby mode, but less efficient in transmit mode which is what I was getting at.

I have found the iPhone 5 to be much more power efficient than the iPhone 4. Many factors at play there - LTE vs 4G, larger screen vs smaller screen, different processors, different OSs, etc. But if LTE is less efficient then they must have done a lot to improve the efficiency on other dimensions.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 05:11 AM   #29
ron_jeremy
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 13' F25 X3 20d & 16' i3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
No shit. I would never have guessed despite all the stickers on the Apple website and even the file name indicating it was a Beta.
Then why bitch about it beeing buggy?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 08:06 AM   #30
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_jeremy View Post
Then why bitch about it beeing buggy?
Okay - one of the things that annoys me is people who struggle with reading comprehension. If you were smart like the others on this thread you would have observed two things:

1) We love the beta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
I am using it too. I actually love the interface and the flat look. At first I didn't like it. Then I realized the stock wallpapers kill the contrast. Once you get the right wallpapers, the interface really pops. The animation is superb.
Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch
Yeah I like the new style. Needed a change from the outdated first generation iOS GUI.
2) Our observations are not written in a manner which conveys "bitching" as you ineloquently put it, but actually written as a neutral statement of facts about the Beta to share what people should expect and log issues for developers to address.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch
iOS7b1 is extremely glitchy, but defiantly useable. If you operate the phone as an average calm user, then you should avoid most of the glitches from occurring.

Not complaining though. If a first beta of anything is "useable" then I'm happy.

I tested iOS 7 out in my M5 without any problems. Also tried Apple Music (apple's pandora service) over BT. Really Apple Music is identical to Pandora.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
I have now experienced 2 glitches:
1) Today my battery life has been plummetting. Down to 37% by 10am. Yesterday it was fine. Not sure what changed.
2) It initially refused to stream music over bluetooth to my GM rental car. However after making one phone call over bluetooth, the phone seemed to resolve the problem and the music streaming started working perfectly again.
If we were "bitching" we would have used judgmental phrases about the beta like "iOS 7 is very poor, or iOS 7 sucks". We did not use any such phrases.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 06-17-2013 at 11:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 06:15 PM   #31
cmhsam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

Anyone have to use the GOOD TECHNOLOGY App on iOS 7? I had to revert back to iOS 6 because I was having problems with emails not opening. Our corporate email is all used through the GOOD TECHNOLOGY App. Anyone else having problems or success?
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 12:15 AM   #32
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I run my company on Microsoft exchange.. one is on premise and the other is cloud. No email issues.

Anyone try out the earlier post about iOS 7 settings and see any difference in battery life?

SP - LTE for whatever reason is known to use a lot of power. To address this, apple increased the battery size in the iPhone 5.
      06-18-2013, 12:27 AM   #33
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

@cmhsam The reason that app isn't working for you is because the SDK changed for iOS7 (like it does for every major release) and the developer of that app needs to update their app with the proper SDK.

This is the exact reason why the beta version is out.. for developers to "ready up" their apps for the official release of iOS 7 GM.

I have a few iPhone 5's.. so should beta 1 be unusable, I can swap my SIM card and be back up and running on the latest iOS 6.

It is possible to downgrade to latest iOS6 as of today, but apple doesn't recommend it. Anyone considering upgrading their device to iOS7b1, be aware that while I and others find it to be "useable" there are some issues. Most importantly, apps that you depend on everyday might not work with iOS 7 until they push an update.
      06-18-2013, 02:11 AM   #34
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 M

And this is why it's made available to developers and not the general public. Threads like this always pop up when a beta is released. Things will be broken and I know the interface will go through several iterations before the GM build. Plus, what I saw on stage last week was several builds ahead of what Apple made available to developers.

I don't like that anybody can sign up for a developer account to be "first" to show off to their friends. Or that other registered developers willingly share their accounts to allow others to get access. Apple should limit the scope to those who file legitimate Radar bugs or to those developers that have apps on the store (like I do). Otherwise you should be restricted to the simulator. I'm buried in e-mails from users and customers for my private and public apps - all complaining that things are broken in a beta OS that they shouldn't be running. Makes my life a living hell.
      06-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #35
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

You might not see it, but there is a point and reason for non-developers to use and test pre-release iOS software.
      06-18-2013, 01:37 PM   #36
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

I see it. But if Apple wanted it that way, they wouldn't release it through the developer program. If you're a 3rd party (hardware, for example) - great! Or a carmaker, like BMW. But the throngs of people I see using it are doing so for no other reason than to show off. My Facebook timeline is perfect indication of this.

Or maybe I just need new friends?
      06-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #37
kylek13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

To show off? Or to use the new added features....while understanding there may be a few flaws along the way....

Just because its beta doesnt mean it isnt suitable for the general public and works 95%+ of the time....

Hows the tesla?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 04:48 AM   #38
wdimagineer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylek13
To show off? Or to use the new added features....while understanding there may be a few flaws along the way....

Just because its beta doesnt mean it isnt suitable for the general public and works 95%+ of the time....

Hows the tesla?
New features that aren't fully baked yet? All I've heard is a steady stream of complaints from everybody who has it installed. The biggest being battery life.

I guess not everybody understands the concept of beta. They're probably used to other companies using the term with software that's farther along. Flickr was in beta for years but was fully functional, for example.
      06-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #39
kylek13
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Battery life complaints are always abundant with iPhones after a software change, before the hardware change, it is an inevitable cycle. I prefer my features medium rare.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 07:43 AM   #40
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
iPhone 4 sleep/wake/power button died yesterday... Come on and hurry up iPhone 5s. Sept is soo far away
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 12:20 PM   #41
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

I'm with you wdimagineer. I cannot believe the number of folks that are not developers that have iOS7bx running on their personal handset, for whatever reason. Lame, and for those that are shouting "compatibility and support issues with apps on iOS7", #FAIL.

The rapid shift to BYOD is creating a number of issues for us folks that have the responsibility for our corporate or paid client infrastructures. This being one of them...
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #42
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M54ccibo View Post
I'm with you wdimagineer. I cannot believe the number of folks that are not developers that have iOS7bx running on their personal handset, for whatever reason. Lame, and for those that are shouting "compatibility and support issues with apps on iOS7", #FAIL.

The rapid shift to BYOD is creating a number of issues for us folks that have the responsibility for our corporate or paid client infrastructures. This being one of them...
Apple should be stricter though. They haven't restricted activation to registered developer devices like they did last year. Anyone can load up iOS7 - or at least they could when the first beta was released. If the cost of running developer software is zero, every tom, dick and harry will do it.

I'm a non developer using iOS7 with a paid developer account, but I am doing it because I like to preview new products. And I am not counting on it - I am carrying a second iPhone 5 running iOS6 as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 04:15 PM   #43
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Apple should be stricter though. They haven't restricted activation to registered developer devices like they did last year. Anyone can load up iOS7 - or at least they could when the first beta was released. If the cost of running developer software is zero, every tom, dick and harry will do it.

I'm a non developer using iOS7 with a paid developer account, but I am doing it because I like to preview new products. And I am not counting on it - I am carrying a second iPhone 5 running iOS6 as well.
Wish everyone thought like you Stealth.
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #44
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Keep working it out! Then we i get it, it should be bug free!!!! Thanks Gents.

Now make sure you report your problems to apple!
Appreciate 0