M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

View Poll Results: F10 M5 Or Bust
Get the M5 with a set of dedicated winter wheels/tires 5 41.67%
Get the M5, with a cheaper second car, garage queen the M5 during off season 7 58.33%
"Road's closed Pizza Boy"Don't have a second car? Get back into a lease, find cheaper enthusiast car 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

05-24-2021, 07:17 AM   #23
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 _ San Marino Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5_Raz View Post
Will be a fun trip for sure! However, coming from a Mercedes, I found the seats to be kind of hard and uncomfortable a few hours into my 6 hour trip.
I am current in the planning stages of the trip, and planning to drive it. I do drive quite often, about 4hrs one way to see the folks and noticed as i am getting older the seats in most cars do become uncomfortable after a few hrs. Looking into options for this trip since it will be around 36-39hrs total.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisterB View Post
Congrats on the purchase ruben356 - I'm a fellow Alpine White, Black Merino owner. IMO it's a classic colour combo that you can't go wrong with. Nice that it's loaded up with options too (I'm a sucker for the options - IMO the B&O is great and my kids love the RSE).

That's a big drive. I think I'd personally be tempted to just get it transported.

I disagree - I've found the M Multifunction seats to be supremely comfortable. You sit 'in' them more than some other seats I've had, but they are super comfy!
Thank you, It is not "fully loaded" as yours haha, i was not even aware of RSE being an option for these. Mines does not have that.

I am planning to drive just for the adventure, spending some time with the car and myself is always good therapy. I had an F10 535 before and the seats were quite comfortable, I am sure these would be just a notch higher in comfort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbfitz46 View Post
Fly and drive! I flew from Raleigh to Ft. Lauderdale with my pops to pick mine up and drove back. Great trip and got to know the car.
I am planning this, taking the necessary steps to be prepared. Looking into Carly scanner to have incase of any issues that may arise, amongst other things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherM View Post
I flew to California from AZ and drove mine home a couple weeks back. I would do that drive again, but I don't know about as far as yours is.

Is it at a BMW dealership? I took mine to the closest BMW and had the oil changed immediately before i drove it the 400 miles. Just for piece of mind that it was fresh and the correct grade.
I am in New England and the Car is in Utah, will be roughly 36-39hrs with minimal stops along the way.

It was not a BMW dealership, but did some research on this dealer and they have great reviews. They took the car to BMW for complete service, and also for the inspection I requested. I am technically buying this car sight unseen, but they have been very professional and have done all I've asked to ease my worries, so no red flags on that part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-dub View Post
I vote Fly and Drive. I had the same dilemma and initially tried to have mine shipped from Vegas to South Florida, but I waited a month to find out that due to the COVID-related lack of business, no trucks were running from Vegas to the East Coast, so I ended up having to fly out with a friend and drive it back. I was a little nervous about driving 12 hours a day lowered on KW V3s, but it was an astonishingly comfy drive. I highly recommend them. I don't miss the EDC at all. The M5 seats are some of the best my ass has ever had the privilege of sitting in. The seat massagers do a great job of keeping the ass soreness in check. It was a great chance to get to know the car, and it was a trip my buddy and I will never forget.
Yeah, i did get a few quotes to weigh my options and they're coming in pretty steep right now. So saving some cash is always good, and the experience. KW V3's are on my to do list once i get the car. I feel I've been seeing a lot of people crashing these cars lately and i believe its do to the retaining of EDC with coil sleeves or springs is still too soft for high HP applications. I want that "train on rails" planted feeling i had with my E60. I've been reading that KW V3's are the way to attain that. Another thing i did not know about these cars was the massaging seats, is this standard? I need to review the options again on mines. Not gonna lie, i was looking into some kind of seat cushion for the long drive, getting old and long drives kill your ass, literally I am looking to have a buddy do the drive with me, but i think i will be ok alone if anything. I am planning to put in 10-12hrs per day, and rest at night for couple hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherM View Post
I second the seat massagers. They do a great job keeping your ass from getting sore on long rides.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianm5 View Post
Hi

I really recommend your choice. The M5 is a criminally underrated car.

The weather in the UK is pretty bad all year round, but we don’t tend to have the extremes of snow that are possible in US.

I almost avoided buying the car because of some internet scaremongering about the car. It almost sounded unusable in winter. It was all baloney (I'm pretty sure I didn’t spell that correctly).

In the wet, on ice or in snow, the M5 is one of the safest cars I have ever driven. In comfort mode the throttle is pretty suppressed and lazy and with a light foot the area is no less controllable than anything else. In any conditions the brakes and chassis make the car much more safe and responsive than most cars.

I had a chap brake very hard for a turn after a long bend on a Scottish highland pass in the rain. It was ‘definite crash’ and yet the M5 braked to a stop on a wet hard turn.

There are a few emerging web articles in the U.K., where a lovely example is about 20kGBP or 28kUSD, where the headline is performance bargain.
This was my concern as well the "Winter Usability" of the vehicle. I do plan to take it out occasionally to stretch its legs during the cold months, but i did end up buying a budget 4X4 truck to use during winter months. I would imagine however the M5 is more than capable with the correct tire setup. I might buy a set and put it to the test. That is very reassuring, glad the M5 kept you safe in those conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
Just 10 miles away! I bought the first one I saw in a private sale and after agreeing price he delivered it to me and I paid. No lease car here I wanted to OWN it.
It had to have the basics, comfort massage seats in black, rear split folds,hk dsp 13 speaker,343M,soft close, speed limit ind, and definitely no comfort entry, lane buzzer or night vision, was also my fave colour.
I spent a few months looking for mines, i wanted the Alpine white and Black Merino combo i got, or was planning to wrap the car if it came a different color. Always a good feeling when you get exactly what you're looking for. Makes you more exited and happy to own the car long term.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60734.50
      05-24-2021, 07:30 AM   #24
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I am prepping a list of must have things, and tips for the trip. If anyone can chime in on suggestions, would highly appreciate it.

I am planning to fly out there on a Wednesday evening, pick up the car first thing Thursday and head out. I am planning to put at least 10-12hrs a day driving, I don't want to drive too late into the night. I will be stopping at Hotels to get some rest for couple hrs, and take off again around 4-4:30 am each morning. I will be hitting some rural highways in most of the Midwestern states, and do not want to chance encountering animals on the roads driving late into the night.

Grabbing some stuff pre trip to take with me. Can anyone recommend a Bluetooth OBD dongle to use with Carly? I want to have it in case i get any dash lights and for live data such as egine/trans temps along the way.

I will be packing light since I have to fly out there, but will be stopping at some local stores to grab some supplies, I think i should be good with the following, any suggestions on things to add would help alot.

-Tire plugs or liquid tire patch?
-Air machine, believe these come with one in the trunk?
-Carly diag tool
-Tool set, depends how good of a set i can find locally
-Couple quarts of oil, should be able to stop by local BMW and grab these

Any recommended sprays, or methods to prevent too many bugs from sticking to the car?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 09:11 AM   #25
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben356 View Post
I am prepping a list of must have things, and tips for the trip. If anyone can chime in on suggestions, would highly appreciate it.

I am planning to fly out there on a Wednesday evening, pick up the car first thing Thursday and head out. I am planning to put at least 10-12hrs a day driving, I don't want to drive too late into the night. I will be stopping at Hotels to get some rest for couple hrs, and take off again around 4-4:30 am each morning. I will be hitting some rural highways in most of the Midwestern states, and do not want to chance encountering animals on the roads driving late into the night.

Grabbing some stuff pre trip to take with me. Can anyone recommend a Bluetooth OBD dongle to use with Carly? I want to have it in case i get any dash lights and for live data such as egine/trans temps along the way.

I will be packing light since I have to fly out there, but will be stopping at some local stores to grab some supplies, I think i should be good with the following, any suggestions on things to add would help alot.

-Tire plugs or liquid tire patch?
-Air machine, believe these come with one in the trunk?
-Carly diag tool
-Tool set, depends how good of a set i can find locally
-Couple quarts of oil, should be able to stop by local BMW and grab these

Any recommended sprays, or methods to prevent too many bugs from sticking to the car?

Thanks in advance.
I have tyre patch kit with sturdy T handle pin together with flashlight and reflector jacket for night emergency and a single cylinder foot pump in case the mini compressor stops.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 09:23 AM   #26
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have tyre patch kit with sturdy T handle pin together with flashlight and reflector jacket for night emergency and a single cylinder foot pump in case the mini compressor stops.
Thanks, did not think of a flashlight and reflective vest. I do plan to get a good tire patch kit, I also get a small can of WD40 to lubricate, so it can go easier into the tire I've found. I hope you've never had to use the foot pump, i couldn't imagine how long it would take to top off a tire with one of those.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 09:25 AM   #27
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I have been getting a few quotes back for shipping the car, and they're coming in close to what I am factoring spending on the drive. It is tempting, to just have it shipped, I am just worried about the carriers potentially messing with the car, or taking it for Joy rides. I am also worried about any mishaps or surprises along the drive. There's worries either way, haha, just have to decide.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 09:58 AM   #28
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Thanks, did not think of a flashlight and reflective vest. I do plan to get a good tire patch kit, I also get a small can of WD40 to lubricate, so it can go easier into the tire I've found. I hope you've never had to use the foot pump, i couldn't imagine how long it would take to top off a tire with one of those.
I haven't but I guess it would take quite a while at least it's an escape should the other fail and I wouldn't use WD40 on puncture hole with glue mix.
I once spotted a nail positioned at an angle to a back tyre on my driveway before I drove off,there are sickos about.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 10:11 AM   #29
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I haven't but I guess it would take quite a while at least it's an escape should the other fail and I wouldn't use WD40 on puncture hole with glue mix.
I once spotted a nail positioned at an angle to a back tyre on my driveway before I drove off,there are sickos about.
You're right, better to have something in case it gets to that point. I spray very small amount on the tip of WD40, just to help push in, because some times it can be a pain getting the plug in there before the tire looses too much air, i have had it happen a lot and it is frustrating haha.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 11:19 AM   #30
co_pa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 m340ix

Quote:
sounds like an epic trip.

for the bt obd reader, i am using the veapeek recommended by youtuber "thicc whips" (aka thiccf30) for bimmercode. it works well and he has a code for 15% off:

15% Off The Veepeak Adapter Using Code: YTBDST15
OBD2 Adapter For Bimmercode: https://amzn.to/2EvOM1C
      05-24-2021, 12:58 PM   #31
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by co_pa View Post
sounds like an epic trip.

for the bt obd reader, i am using the veapeek recommended by youtuber "thicc whips" (aka thiccf30) for bimmercode. it works well and he has a code for 15% off:

15% Off The Veepeak Adapter Using Code: YTBDST15
OBD2 Adapter For Bimmercode: https://amzn.to/2EvOM1C
Awesome, thanks for the code, just ordered one. I will try both Bimmercode and Carly since i believe the base apps are free. Won't be doing any coding just yet, more for pulling codes and data. Hoping i don't have to.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 06:57 PM   #32
Craze
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5 E60, M5 F10, X5 50i

Panadol,
Phone charger, maybe a plug in dash cam?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 07:54 PM   #33
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craze View Post
Panadol,
Phone charger, maybe a plug in dash cam?
Not gonna lie, have been looking into seat cushions for long sitting as i already do that for work and usually get discomfort when driving lol. I am hoping the M5 seats are good enough to not need that. The rest I have, always carry some kind of pain meds, and dash cam is ready to go for this car.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 08:15 PM   #34
ECB
Private
Rep
Drives: e39 M5, e46 M3,f10 M5, 997.1tt

Quote:
I have been getting a few quotes back for shipping the car, and they're coming in close to what I am factoring spending on the drive. It is tempting, to just have it shipped, I am just worried about the carriers potentially messing with the car, or taking it for Joy rides. I am also worried about any mishaps or surprises along the drive. There's worries either way, haha, just have to decide.
A few yrs ago, I bought a Porsche sight unseen in NJ and had it shipped to NC. Definitely worth the money to ship. Between airfare, missing a few days of work, etc, cost was a no-brainer. And to have it arrive a few days later at my doorstep, was quite nice. Not trying to rain on everyone's parade here, I'd skip the 2600 mile drive and have it shipped Congrats on the purchase!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 07:34 AM   #35
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECB View Post
A few yrs ago, I bought a Porsche sight unseen in NJ and had it shipped to NC. Definitely worth the money to ship. Between airfare, missing a few days of work, etc, cost was a no-brainer. And to have it arrive a few days later at my doorstep, was quite nice. Not trying to rain on everyone's parade here, I'd skip the 2600 mile drive and have it shipped Congrats on the purchase!
Thanks for the input. I have been considering this, only thing off putting, is the fact that most shipping companies are brokers and they just give the job to the lowest bidding trucker in a sense. I am concerned about the possibility of these guys beating on the car, when moving it or possibly damage to the car. I have been calculating expenses on the drive and it pretty much sums up to about the same as shipping. Driving it also comes with its own worries, the car is at 56k miles, and even though it has had thorough service, there's always the possibility of things "popping" up after 50k, I believe anyway. As much as i would enjoy the drive, not sure if putting the car through that at this mileage is good, would be easier to just have it pop up at my house with a few extra miles. 1st world problems, haha.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2021, 09:32 AM   #36
santamonica00
Lover of the 3rd pedal
Rep
Drives: '16 M5 6spd; '13 Audi S4 6 spd

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECB View Post
Thanks for the input. I have been considering this, only thing off putting, is the fact that most shipping companies are brokers and they just give the job to the lowest bidding trucker in a sense. I am concerned about the possibility of these guys beating on the car, when moving it or possibly damage to the car. I have been calculating expenses on the drive and it pretty much sums up to about the same as shipping. Driving it also comes with its own worries, the car is at 56k miles, and even though it has had thorough service, there's always the possibility of things "popping" up after 50k, I believe anyway. As much as i would enjoy the drive, not sure if putting the car through that at this mileage is good, would be easier to just have it pop up at my house with a few extra miles. 1st world problems, haha.
Bought my '16 F10 CP 6spd last February from a BMW dealer in CT (car had lived in FL) sight unseen. Worked with two different shipping companies including one recommended by the dealer. Got comfortable with who they were brokering the work to. Got an enclosed rig to bring it out to Los Angeles for about $1,700 and figured for a 2,800 mile trip it was a great deal. Car had about 46k miles and putting another 6-7% on it just didn't make sense.

Road trips are great and done enough long and cross-country treks with far less fun vehicles but I'd probably say to just have it shipped. I know it's tempting so wouldn't judge you for taking the leap though just seems like a better option to drive it from your home base on shorter trips to start. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 10:24 AM   #37
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by santamonica00 View Post
Bought my '16 F10 CP 6spd last February from a BMW dealer in CT (car had lived in FL) sight unseen. Worked with two different shipping companies including one recommended by the dealer. Got comfortable with who they were brokering the work to. Got an enclosed rig to bring it out to Los Angeles for about $1,700 and figured for a 2,800 mile trip it was a great deal. Car had about 46k miles and putting another 6-7% on it just didn't make sense.

Road trips are great and done enough long and cross-country treks with far less fun vehicles but I'd probably say to just have it shipped. I know it's tempting so wouldn't judge you for taking the leap though just seems like a better option to drive it from your home base on shorter trips to start. Enjoy!
Yeah, i am looking up carriers and getting familiar with a few as well. Getting some enclosed trailer quotes, coming in right around the $2k mark. I might just take this route for peace of mind all around.

Sorry for hyping up this thread on my short lived epic road trip
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2021, 03:33 PM   #38
santamonica00
Lover of the 3rd pedal
Rep
Drives: '16 M5 6spd; '13 Audi S4 6 spd

No judgement! Things change. Best of luck
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 07:12 AM   #39
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Driving the car is still not completely off the table lol. Waiting on a few things that will be determining factors whether i take the leap or not. I think, we can't live in fear of driving these cars, they're enthusiast cars, and yes things happen, but i for one want to enjoy the car more this time around. My last few performance cars have all been garage queens, and didn't enjoy them as much.

If i do decide to drive, will be taking some gear to grab some shots and footage of the experience. Stay tuned.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 11:39 AM   #40
co_pa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 m340ix

i shipped my m5 from minneapolis to detroit last summer. amazing service bar none. happy to share contact and experience. hit me up.

(btw, i think trailering is the right call - but that's just me)
      06-02-2021, 07:53 AM   #41
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I took a leap of faith. Flying out tonight and picking up the car tomorrow morning. Planned as best as I could, hotels along the way are mapped and booked. Don't have much video equipment to document, stopping at a local Best Buy once I arrive to see if I can grab some stuff, as well as buying some items locally that I could not carry in my luggage. Hoping for a great experience and good luck with the car. I will update soon.
Appreciate 2
co_pa223.00
M5Rick60734.50
      06-02-2021, 02:08 PM   #42
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

Congratulations, and have fun!
      06-02-2021, 08:09 PM   #43
AlisterB
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
After my search, I signed today on a 2013 Alpine White w Black Merino guts with 55k miles. All options minus night vision.
Quote:
Thank you, It is not "fully loaded" as yours haha, i was not even aware of RSE being an option for these. Mines does not have that.
When you said 'all options minus night vision', I assumed that to mean all options minus night vision!

Do you know what options your car has? Things like carbon ceramic brakes, soft close doors, B&O sound system, Rear Seat Entertainment (RSE), active (massaging) seats, active seat ventilation, full leather (includes dash top, full door trims etc)? If you're not sure, you can put the VIN in to the following site: https://www.mdecoder.com/
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2021, 08:51 PM   #44
thevoyce
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M5 Comp S2

If you can afford it, I would make your M5 the weekend car