M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-07-2022, 01:17 AM   #11045
Esteban
Major General
Esteban's Avatar
United_States
41011
Rep
7,224
Posts

Drives: a slow car fast
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
FML my 40 year old HVAC system took a dump a few days ago, right before one of the worst heat waves in Socal I can remember. It's easily 95 degrees in my house.

First purchase was a new furnace, blower, coils and condenser/heat pump. $14k.

[img]https://www.americanstandardair.com/...at-pump-md.png[/img]

Of course, it takes a few days to get the parts and install, so in the meantime I got one of these portable AC puppies for my home office because my head started to hurt from the heat and zoom calls were becoming awkward with my shirt off:

[img]https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...AC_SL1000_.jpg[/img]
40 years, huh. That's a long run. I expect to replace mine this coming spring. Just the condenser and blower, though.

Only 15 years old but it runs all year set at 70F so it might see an early death, lol. Couldn't stand to be stuck in 100+ temp with no A/C.
__________________
Appreciate 1
RickFLM410751.00
      09-07-2022, 04:04 AM   #11046
RedX4MC
Scott Langenthal
RedX4MC's Avatar
United_States
154
Rep
148
Posts

Drives: 2022 Toronto Red Metallic X4MC
Join Date: May 2022
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Carbon Fiber 50th Anniversary Roundel

Purchased a BMW 50th Anniversary Carbon Fiber Emblem Roundel from bimmerplug.com after seeing an M5 at Detailer's Domain with one. It goes over the top with a piece of double-stick tape.
Attached Images
  
__________________
Scott "Retired and LOVING it"
2022 Toronto Red Metallic X4 M Competition (Current Ride - Scarlett) 🚘
2021 Mineral Gray Metallic M340i xDrive (Retired)
2017 Melbourne Red Metallic 340i xDrive (Retired)
2002 Mineral Grey Metallic 330xi (Retired)
Appreciate 1
jmg18460.50
      09-07-2022, 08:28 AM   #11047
P1
Lieutenant General
P1's Avatar
11470
Rep
11,112
Posts

Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: United States

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
Did you buy the cameras already re-flashed or do it yourself? I tried a quick search for custom FW but only found people DIY'ing and posting questions on forums.
Bought them already reflashed.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 09:10 AM   #11048
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
16028
Rep
7,436
Posts

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

According to that cam comparison guy, Amcrest is a U.S. firm that sources Dahua cameras. Not sure if that means Amcrest reflashes them or not. But I'm using Synology Surveillance Station, so totally different software for viewing. Once I have my cams set up, I may set up a firewall rule to keep them from sending anything out of the network IP range.
__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 09:57 AM   #11049
jmg
Lieutenant General
jmg's Avatar
18461
Rep
14,083
Posts

Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post



Of course, it takes a few days to get the parts and install, so in the meantime I got one of these portable AC puppies for my home office because my head started to hurt from the heat and zoom calls were becoming awkward with my shirt off:

Been waffling between getting one of these for the garage or going with a mini-split. I need the cooling more than the heating, so a mini-split is a bit of overkill. But the costs aren't that far apart. And the mini-split doesn't take up floor space.
I would do the mini-split which I imagine are quieter since the condenser is outside. I'm thinking of getting one too, so I don't have to run the central air when no one else is home.
__________________

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous 2018 F80 ///M3 CS 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 10:03 AM   #11050
jmg
Lieutenant General
jmg's Avatar
18461
Rep
14,083
Posts

Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
FML my 40 year old HVAC system took a dump a few days ago, right before one of the worst heat waves in Socal I can remember. It's easily 95 degrees in my house.

First purchase was a new furnace, blower, coils and condenser/heat pump. $14k.

[img]https://www.americanstandardair.com/...at-pump-md.png[/img]

Of course, it takes a few days to get the parts and install, so in the meantime I got one of these portable AC puppies for my home office because my head started to hurt from the heat and zoom calls were becoming awkward with my shirt off:

[img]https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...AC_SL1000_.jpg[/img]
40 years, huh. That's a long run. I expect to replace mine this coming spring. Just the condenser and blower, though.

Only 15 years old but it runs all year set at 70F so it might see an early death, lol. Couldn't stand to be stuck in 100+ temp with no A/C.
Yup, furnace was all rusted out. I guess they are supposed to be swapped every 20 years, so it had a long life! The coils were nasty and disgusting. I was still using R22, the old refrigerant, so recharging the system would have been expensive. I also went with an electric heat pump and ditched the gas furnace. Less risk of carbon monoxide, longer lasting furnace.
__________________

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous 2018 F80 ///M3 CS 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 10:21 AM   #11051
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
16028
Rep
7,436
Posts

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Yikes. My HVAC contractor just quote a mini-split for the garage at $5500. Even if I could find someone to do it for half that, it's still way more than a floor unit. Looks like I need to shop for a floor unit. Luckily we're just about out of the major summer heat, so I have until next year to find and install one.
__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
jmg18460.50
      09-07-2022, 10:42 AM   #11052
Awsm66
Registered
6
Rep
3
Posts

Drives: Blue 2010 335i
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Meridian, MS

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Yikes. My HVAC contractor just quote a mini-split for the garage at $5500. Even if I could find someone to do it for half that, it's still way more than a floor unit. Looks like I need to shop for a floor unit. Luckily we're just about out of the major summer heat, so I have until next year to find and install one.

If you are decent at DIY you can buy a DIY minisplit from mrcool or some others. They are really easy to install. I installed one in my office space I built into my garage/shop and they are really easy to do.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 10:48 AM   #11053
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
16028
Rep
7,436
Posts

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Just dipping my toes into the DIY arena. I'm nowhere near confident enough to try that yet. I can still screw up a free lunch given the chance.
__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 11:44 AM   #11054
jmg
Lieutenant General
jmg's Avatar
18461
Rep
14,083
Posts

Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Yikes. My HVAC contractor just quote a mini-split for the garage at $5500. Even if I could find someone to do it for half that, it's still way more than a floor unit. Looks like I need to shop for a floor unit. Luckily we're just about out of the major summer heat, so I have until next year to find and install one.
Cost depends on how big your garage is, and if it's insulated. I have a 3 car, so a mini-split would have to be huge to start with, and it's not insulated, so it would have to be even bigger. I think you are looking at minimum $2k just for something adequate for 600sq-ft. $8k for 1200 sq-ft. Install is probably in the $1-2k range. I don't think it's cost effective for a 3 car garage. Better of insulating it and then getting the duct to the central AC work done, so long as your condenser can handle the extra square footage. If not, what I sometimes do is walk around and shut vents to unoccupied rooms.
__________________

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous 2018 F80 ///M3 CS 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 11:55 AM   #11055
Esteban
Major General
Esteban's Avatar
United_States
41011
Rep
7,224
Posts

Drives: a slow car fast
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
...If not, what I sometimes do is walk around and shut vents to unoccupied rooms.
I do that. We have a fourth bedroom that we use as storage so I keep that vent closed and the rest of the house gets a little more.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 12:10 PM   #11056
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
16028
Rep
7,436
Posts

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Cost depends on how big your garage is, and if it's insulated. I have a 3 car, so a mini-split would have to be huge to start with, and it's not insulated, so it would have to be even bigger. I think you are looking at minimum $2k just for something adequate for 600sq-ft. $8k for 1200 sq-ft. Install is probably in the $1-2k range. I don't think it's cost effective for a 3 car garage. Better of insulating it and then getting the duct to the central AC work done, so long as your condenser can handle the extra square footage. If not, what I sometimes do is walk around and shut vents to unoccupied rooms.
Two car garage and all insulated, including the door. But 700sf, so it'd need a sizable unit. The contractor also suggested just an air handler since I really don't need the heating option from a mini-split. But he still said it would be north of $2k. I'll probably just go with a portable floor unit. I don't need it to be frosty in the garage. Just tolerable if I include a good fan.
__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
jmg18460.50
      09-07-2022, 01:02 PM   #11057
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
3929
Rep
1,468
Posts

Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awsm66 View Post
If you are decent at DIY you can buy a DIY minisplit from mrcool or some others. They are really easy to install. I installed one in my office space I built into my garage/shop and they are really easy to do.
What about the wiring? Aren't most of these 220 where you need an electrician?
__________________

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 01:10 PM   #11058
jmg
Lieutenant General
jmg's Avatar
18461
Rep
14,083
Posts

Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
What about the wiring? Aren't most of these 220 where you need an electrician?
Depends on the size, some are 120V. Plus garages are more likely to have a 220V for the washer and dryer.
__________________

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous 2018 F80 ///M3 CS 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 01:20 PM   #11059
jmg
Lieutenant General
jmg's Avatar
18461
Rep
14,083
Posts

Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I do that. We have a fourth bedroom that we use as storage so I keep that vent closed and the rest of the house gets a little more.
Thinking of replacing our vents with some kind of smart vent system. Maybe shut off certain rooms at certain times of day. Certainly shutting all the downstairs vents at night would be great. I can count 10 vents off the top of my head though, so it's not going to be cheap.

$1k for this system that works with my NEST Thermostat:

Flair Smart Vent
__________________

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous 2018 F80 ///M3 CS 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 1
Esteban41010.50
      09-07-2022, 01:53 PM   #11060
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
17707
Rep
9,370
Posts

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

My son shot a big horn Cali sheep in Oregon, single lifetime tag used up. He sent us a pic and I had it printed on canvas at 30x40. When it gets here, I'll have it framed in some antique-looking pale wood, and it should all be ready for Christmas giving!
__________________
I have romped on her and I giggled like a drunk infant the entire time. - Sedan_Clan
Appreciate 3
Buug95916493.50
cmyx6go15442.50
      09-07-2022, 02:34 PM   #11061
M_Six
Free Thinker
M_Six's Avatar
United_States
16028
Rep
7,436
Posts

Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Thinking of replacing our vents with some kind of smart vent system. Maybe shut off certain rooms at certain times of day. Certainly shutting all the downstairs vents at night would be great. I can count 10 vents off the top of my head though, so it's not going to be cheap.

$1k for this system that works with my NEST Thermostat:
We originally had two zone heating/cooling in our house. Two separate heat pumps and furnace/air units. We used the a/c in the basement so rarely that when it came time to replace that unit, we went with a straight furnace. No heat pump and no a/c compressor. Our basement (walkout) rarely gets warmer than 74F or colder than 62F. The only part of that old system we miss is the dehumidifying feature. I installed a large dehumidifier in the furnace room that drains into a floor drain and a smaller one in our workout room, so those control the humidity quite well now.
__________________
Mark
markj.pics

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 05:37 PM   #11062
ezaircon4jc
Major General
ezaircon4jc's Avatar
United_States
4094
Rep
5,221
Posts

Drives: 2019 540i M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
My son shot a big horn Cali sheep in Oregon, single lifetime tag used up. He sent us a pic and I had it printed on canvas at 30x40. When it gets here, I'll have it framed in some antique-looking pale wood, and it should all be ready for Christmas giving!
Need my address?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 07:48 PM   #11063
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
UncleWede's Avatar
United_States
17707
Rep
9,370
Posts

Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Oxnard, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
My son shot a big horn Cali sheep in Oregon, single lifetime tag used up. He sent us a pic and I had it printed on canvas at 30x40. When it gets here, I'll have it framed in some antique-looking pale wood, and it should all be ready for Christmas giving!
Need my address?
Sausage, or pic?
__________________
I have romped on her and I giggled like a drunk infant the entire time. - Sedan_Clan
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 08:22 PM   #11064
///MPhatic
The Seeker
///MPhatic's Avatar
13255
Rep
3,110
Posts

Drives: OG M2 Exige
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (2)

///M Performance carbon/alcantara shift knob.
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 9
kscarrol8716.00
stein_325i25037.50
Kilabyte3928.50
Buug95916493.50
RedX4MC153.50
Dang3r12503.00
Dino GT35117.50
P111469.50
      09-07-2022, 08:38 PM   #11065
Kilabyte
I'm Batman!
Poland
3929
Rep
1,468
Posts

Drives: Mineral White M3 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (1)

^Nice, I really like mine.
__________________

S55, 2JZ, M48.00
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2022, 09:13 PM   #11066
///MPhatic
The Seeker
///MPhatic's Avatar
13255
Rep
3,110
Posts

Drives: OG M2 Exige
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: USA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilabyte View Post
^Nice, I really like mine.
Haven't made up my mind about it yet. It's different, that's for sure.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:49 AM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST