M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

05-02-2014, 01:02 PM   #1
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

Today my iDrive is acting very odd.. can't figure it out.

iDrive Connected Phones
1. I cannot get any phones connected to bluetooth to show up. My iPhone shows up as connected, and my iDrive shows it is connected. I removed my iPhone from BT settings on iOS and removed it from the iDrive, repaired the device via BT, and same issue.

2. My daily carry iPhone is setup with the iDrive as bluetooth primary phone and bluetooth audio stream. My M5 iPhone (connected via cradle in center console) is setup as wire connected secondary (additional) phone and wire connected audio. The phone1, phone2, and both music symbols appear, but are greyed.. I am pretty sure those icons are usually white. Both devices do not work. My carry iPhone is running iOS 7 current public release and my M5 iPhone is running the latest version of iOS 6.

Dash BC Features (Right Side)
1. The SXM music station list no longer shows up when operating the right scroll wheel on the M5's steering wheel.

2. The telephone recent calls list no longer shows up when rolling the scroll wheel and pressing the phone button under it. It would still work (just not show up). Then when I deleted and re-paired my phones, it doesn't work at all.

I tried all the simple and basic troubleshooting steps. I think the reset command for iDrive might help.. just came remember the procedure. iDrive runs off linux - I'm surprised this is happening.

Does anyone remember the reset procedure for iDrive?

ping @v12
      05-02-2014, 01:19 PM   #2
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Thought I would post an update if anyone else comes across this weird issue...

I was using the right iDrive reset keys, just wasn't using the correct sequence. Had to think back to 2006 E60 M5 days

iDrive Reset Procedure
- Mode Button
- Sound Volume Knob
- Eject Button
** You must use the buttons on the dash (located next to the touch sensitive numbered preset buttons)

iDrive Reset Sequence
- Press and hold mode button
- Press and hold sound mute knob
- Press and hold eject button
** You have to press each button in that sequence, not press them all at the same time. Hold them down until the iDrive turns off (takes less than thirty seconds), letting go once you see the M start-up animation appear.

My right side BC features work again.. radio and phone menus. The bluetooth functions are back to normal as well.. the phone1, phone2, and one of two music icons are white.

I noticed that for the office feature, the phone needs to be connected by the cradle or by USB wire. Going to setup email on my M5 iPhone and see if it works. I have yet to see the office feature work.
      05-04-2014, 12:40 PM   #3
skypx
Veteran U.S. Army
Germany
Rep
Drives: ///M

How is this procedure differ from pressing and holding the volume button unit iDrive restarts?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2014, 03:25 PM   #4
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypx
How is this procedure differ from pressing and holding the volume button unit iDrive restarts?
Hmm.. not sure. Never restarted the iDrive that way. The method I mentioned earlier is what I have been using since my 2006 E60 M5.

Maybe BMW made it easier.. if the iDrive reboots from just holding down the power knob, then there's a good chance it doesn't do anything different than the three button reset procedure.