M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

06-03-2017, 11:35 PM   #23
JoshIII
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 535i M-Sport

Just Getting Started on 2013 to 2014 NBT

I hope you guys are still active here, especially Dracon, because I am thinking about doing the same thing he did for enabling SiriusXM album art graphics on my 2013 535i M Sport.

I don't want to get too technically detailed at this point. I only have a general overall picture of the system and required retrofit.

I reviewed Dracons posts on this subject, and it makes sense. He obviously is light years ahead, so I need to consider all potential pitfalls and expenses before attempting the same plan.

For starters though.. does the NBT include the 3G phone, navigation system, Hard Drive, iDrive Processor(CIC) or just the FM/AM/Satellite receiver? It would be really neat if could upgrade from 3G to LTE at the same time (dreaming).

If all that stuff gets replaced with the single silver box retrofit only to enable SiriusXM channel art, I'm not sure its going to be worth the trouble, expense, and complication.

I guess I need to find a system diagram, before I can even ask intelligent questions at this point.

Also, what is the cost of getting a coding computer, interface cable, and software for just the coding operation that follows retrofit? That is required to make everything play together and work right.

By the way, for this project and questions above, I am talking DIY totally. I will be getting 2014 MY used components rather than a kit from BimmerTech, for example.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/images/...eposthorse.gif
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 08:56 AM   #24
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshIII View Post
I hope you guys are still active here, especially Dracon, because I am thinking about doing the same thing he did for enabling SiriusXM album art graphics on my 2013 535i M Sport.

I don't want to get too technically detailed at this point. I only have a general overall picture of the system and required retrofit.

I reviewed Dracons posts on this subject, and it makes sense. He obviously is light years ahead, so I need to consider all potential pitfalls and expenses before attempting the same plan.

For starters though.. does the NBT include the 3G phone, navigation system, Hard Drive, iDrive Processor(CIC) or just the FM/AM/Satellite receiver? It would be really neat if could upgrade from 3G to LTE at the same time (dreaming).

If all that stuff gets replaced with the single silver box retrofit only to enable SiriusXM channel art, I'm not sure its going to be worth the trouble, expense, and complication.

I guess I need to find a system diagram, before I can even ask intelligent questions at this point.

Also, what is the cost of getting a coding computer, interface cable, and software for just the coding operation that follows retrofit? That is required to make everything play together and work right.

By the way, for this project and questions above, I am talking DIY totally. I will be getting 2014 MY used components rather than a kit from BimmerTech, for example.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/images/...eposthorse.gif
The NBT unit itself contains everything except the Telematics module (cellular connection), that's controlled by the TCB in your vehicle.

So the NBT unit is the navigation system, hard drive, satellite radio module, etc, etc. It's all one big sealed box.

You pull the old NBT out and put the new NBT in. Physical replacement is super-simple. Clearing all the old FSC codes and properly coding the unit is another story, but not too difficult if you have the tools and knowledge to do it.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2017, 05:03 PM   #25
JoshIII
Registered
Rep

NBT Retrofit Cost

Hey thanks for the fast response Dracon!

I just looked at your nbt.pdf for the first time, where you disassembled the nbt.

Does SiriusXM have its own circuit board or is it integrated into a big FM/AM/Sirius board inside the NBT?

If Sirius has it own circuit board in the NBT, it might be possible to just replace the SiriusXM board and keep the same NBT (HD, NAV, FM HD Radio, etc.)

I read from your earlier post the 2014 NBT you got for your 2013 M5 was about $400 through a friend. So that would be a low ball price for an Ebay find of the same box I am sure.

The other big expense for me at this point would be getting the BMW Coding software and connector cable.

I heard on Volks Wagons, the Info/Comm Computer cables plug right into the same port used by OBD ECM etc. UPDATE: Its plugs into the same place (OBD2) with the ENET cable into the 535i BMW

Question: What will the coding software and connector cable cost? UPDATE: Nevermind I found the cost of the software (E-sys 3.27.1), is free. The OBD Cable is about $20 plus shipping. I havent looked for an Amazon source for it yet.

Thanks!

Last edited by JoshIII; 06-04-2017 at 09:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 08:29 AM   #26
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshIII View Post
Hey thanks for the fast response Dracon!

I just looked at your nbt.pdf for the first time, where you disassembled the nbt.

Does SiriusXM have its own circuit board or is it integrated into a big FM/AM/Sirius board inside the NBT?

If Sirius has it own circuit board in the NBT, it might be possible to just replace the SiriusXM board and keep the same NBT (HD, NAV, FM HD Radio, etc.)

I read from your earlier post the 2014 NBT you got for your 2013 M5 was about $400 through a friend. So that would be a low ball price for an Ebay find of the same box I am sure.

The other big expense for me at this point would be getting the BMW Coding software and connector cable.

I heard on Volks Wagons, the Info/Comm Computer cables plug right into the same port used by OBD ECM etc. UPDATE: Its plugs into the same place (OBD2) with the ENET cable into the 535i BMW

Question: What will the coding software and connector cable cost? UPDATE: Nevermind I found the cost of the software (E-sys 3.27.1), is free. The OBD Cable is about $20 plus shipping. I havent looked for an Amazon source for it yet.

Thanks!
It's all integrated together. I looked at trying to replace just the radio board (it's one big radio board, not just a separate Sirius module). So you'd have to replace the entire headunit.

If you look on eBay, you can probably find them pretty cheap. I found one for $299 (http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-5-6-7-Se...5YwBGP&vxp=mtr) on eBay.

As long as the build date on the NBT is 07/2013 or higher you should be good to go.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 09:35 AM   #27
v3n0m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
Ok, so here's what I learned as part of my little project.

Apparently, there's two major variants of the NBT hardware itself in respect to the ports on the back for North America.

One of them has an additional 12pin connector above the quad lock and a Bright Orange ethernet port (direct ethernet connection to the RSE). These are for connecting to the RSE system if the vehicle is so equipped (like mine). The 12 pin connector carries video signal to the RSE module and the Bright Orange ethernet port connects the NBT to the RSE for communications.

Here's the back of the first unit I purchased which was from a 2014 M6

[IMG]http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/...pswo7efgne.jpg[/IMG]

And the unit I purchased which was from a 2014 328i (which didn't have Rear Seat Entertainment). Note the additional connector and USB port.

[IMG]http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/...psnfavdkyj.jpg[/IMG]

So after I got the right unit, the swap out was pretty simple in terms of hardware. Amazingly, it's very quick and easy to access the NBT on the 5-series. It only requires removal of the main dash trim and the front control panel.

Once the new NBT was installed, I had to change the VIN to my VIN, clear out all the previous vehicle's FSC codes and load in the FSC codes for my VIN in order to get all the features re-activated (Navigation, SiriusXM, BMW Apps, etc, etc).

Surprisingly enough, ISTA/P didn't seem to care that the 2014+ NBT was installed in the vehicle as even the 2014+ models are valid part numbers for the 2013 model of the 5-series. ISTA/P only complained about the fact I retrofitted the Touchbox module and the Touch iDrive controller, which was easily fixed in Expert Mode to reflash and recode the NBT to my VO.

After that, it was a matter to comparing the coding between a 2014 model and a 2013 model to see what the differences are. If I changed my VO to 2014 and VO coded the module, mostly everything worked except for a new screens which didn't apply to 2013 model vehicles (like 2013 model vehicles can't control their ambient lighting brightness and style via the iDrive). So I weeded out the parameters I needed and left out the ones that didn't apply to me and recoded the new NBT with my new custom parameters and everything worked just fine.

So now I have Sirius station art on my navigation display. Also making a couple adjustments to my coding on the Rear Seat Entertainment allows it to display the album art on the rear screens as well. I don't know if the newer hardware revisions have any other advantages except an updated SiriusXM tuner with displays the channel art. Something like this probably wouldn't make sense for anyone outside North America since SiriusXM isn't offered elsewhere.

Here's after everything was swapped out and installed and coded:

Main display in the front

[IMG]http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/...psgljsy9em.jpg[/IMG]

and SiriusXM channel art on the rear screens

[IMG]http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/...ps60mnn7wr.jpg[/IMG]
Hi Dracon. Few questions for you if you could help me out. I'm familiar with coding and flashing firmware using esys, but less familiar with ista/p.

1. How did you change the new nbt vin to yours/how did you virginize the existing unit.
2. How did you read the original fsc code from your old nbt and put it on the new one?
3. How did you override the touch controller issue (I run into this when trying to code sometimes too)?

Is that all you needed to do aside from VO coding it to activate the new nbt? Would you be able to share the coded values you deactivated?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 12:24 PM   #28
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by v3n0m View Post
Hi Dracon. Few questions for you if you could help me out. I'm familiar with coding and flashing firmware using esys, but less familiar with ista/p.

1. How did you change the new nbt vin to yours/how did you virginize the existing unit.
2. How did you read the original fsc code from your old nbt and put it on the new one?
3. How did you override the touch controller issue (I run into this when trying to code sometimes too)?

Is that all you needed to do aside from VO coding it to activate the new nbt? Would you be able to share the coded values you deactivated?

Thanks!
1) I virginized the unit to make it a blank slate, the VIN changes once you write the first FSC code to the unit.
2) I have the FSC repair pack from BMW for my vehicle, contains everything needed to replace a headunit.
3) Which touch controller issue are you referring to?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 12:54 PM   #29
v3n0m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 MCB M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dracon View Post
Quote:

Thanks!
1) I virginized the unit to make it a blank slate, the VIN changes once you write the first FSC code to the unit.
2) I have the FSC repair pack from BMW for my vehicle, contains everything needed to replace a headunit.
3) Which touch controller issue are you referring to?
1. How did you virginize the unit? Or can you just write your fsc codes without doing anything first?
2. I'm referring to this issue, which I also run into sometimes. "ISTA/P only complained about the fact I retrofitted the Touchbox module and the Touch iDrive controller, which was easily fixed in Expert Mode to reflash and recode the NBT to my VO." I currently remove the retrofit and put the old controller back. How do you do it?

Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2017, 02:42 PM   #30
Dracon
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
1. How did you virginize the unit? Or can you just write your fsc codes without doing anything first?
2. I'm referring to this issue, which I also run into sometimes. "ISTA/P only complained about the fact I retrofitted the Touchbox module and the Touch iDrive controller, which was easily fixed in Expert Mode to reflash and recode the NBT to my VO." I currently remove the retrofit and put the old controller back. How do you do it?

Thanks for the help.
1) There's a process to remove all the FSCs from the NBT and return it to a virgin state. It can't be done via ISTA-P.

2) That doesn't have anything to do with the NBT itself really. You'd still have to use Expert Mode to bypass the retrofitted TBX and CON units. Or you can use E-Sys to reflash and recode the NBT to your VO, then make the custom edits required to enable the TBX module and Sirius album art.

At least for as long as you can still use ISTA-P. BMW is removing F, G and I Series flashing support from ISTA-P in the next version as it's moved to ISTA-D now.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2017, 05:53 PM   #31
JoshIII
Registered
Rep

This is the NBT Head Unit referenced earlier used on eBay for $300.

Looks like it was manufactured in 2012. It needs to be 07/2013 manufacture or later to be sure the SiriusXM channel art mod is on it?

UPDATE: See comments below showing date of manufacture/release.

Also its a Karman Hardon. I don't think I have the optional Karman Hardon audio system. Is the standard audio system a Karman Hardon in the 2013 535i?

UPDATE: The standard NBT HU is manufactured by HARMAN. Sorry for the confusion

Wonder if you could post a picture like this of your 2014 NBT (without the RSE)?

Does the NBT include the Audio Amplifier too? Where is the audio amp in the 535i?

How much you want for yours (without the RSE)?

Thanks!

Comments: The 2nd picture shows the final date of manufacture. Note the CI9 327 320 01 decal in the lower right hand corner of the 2nd photo for the date, i.e. Date: 2X/14. I cant make out the month, but clearly the year is 14 or 2014.
Attached Images

Last edited by JoshIII; 06-08-2017 at 04:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 10:50 AM   #32
JoshIII
Registered
Rep

Harman Versions Cross Reference?

For the 535i:

From 07/01/2013 - 07/01/2014 the NBT HU P/N was 65129325979
From 07/01/2012 - 07/01/2013 the NBT HU P/N was 65129289615

The $64000 question is what HARMAN version number do these part numbers cross reference too?

65129289615 crosses to the Harman CI 931875101 Date 17/13 (What month?)
-this Head Unit does not have Sirius Channel Art, but does have Navigation

I just got a used NBT HU from California with Harman Version Number CI 932732001. It is suppose to be for the 2014 MY, but has a manufacture Date 33/13? Wondering if it qualifies for the 65129325979 BMW part number, for MY 2014? If not I am sending it back to Calif.

Harman has a funny way of coding their date of manufacture dates I wish someone here could explain.
Appreciate 0