M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

06-27-2016, 10:33 PM   #1
josec70
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22' Individual Chalk M5C

M5 - Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge BT Integration Help

I recently replaced my IPhone 6+ with a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and it has been less than a smooth transition to say the least.

I have a 15' M5 and I'm having the following issues trying to integrate the new phone (Sprint Network) after pairing it via BT:

1. Constantly disconnects and subsequently reconnects.
2. None of the phone logs are being imported (Redial, Received Calls Etc.).
3. I can't get Waze to work through the car speakers as I did with the IPhone 6+.

Any help with other members would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 04:27 PM   #2
johntomferg
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly drove a 13 F10 M5

I'll offer what help I can, but am not claiming to be the expert. I've used a Samsung Note 3 and Samsung Note 5 with my car and my wife has had the various iPhones over the years.

>>1. Constantly disconnects and subsequently reconnects.

I had this problem in the past. It was tied to the attempt to pull emails from the phone to the Office -> Messages portion of the IDRIVE interface via BT. Try turning off the email/messages over BT [Car side setting] as a brute force test and see if it is the issue. If it is, see if any updates forour phone are available [AT&T just recently pushed a large update to my Note 5, for example, that forced me to drop and re-create my exchange and email settings in order to have a good experience.

>>2. None of the phone logs are being imported (Redial, Received Calls Etc.).

It has been my experience that it will import the Contacts but will not import call history from the Phone. It will only populate those fields via actions that occurred when the car and phone were actively connected via Bluetooth. I would expect that this is the same behavior for iPhone but I have not independently verified. It is definitely the experience I have had for Android.

>>3. I can't get Waze to work through the car speakers as I did with the IPhone 6+.

Waze often send very short snippets of audio. The activation / audio / deactivation time of the Bluetooth audio can result in too much time being spent in activation/deactivation such that you never heard the audio. If Music or Phone Calls are working over Bluetooth and just WAZE is having an issue, then this is a possible reason. Try to force WAZE to say something that take more time (like a long navigation statement) and see if this works.

Also Waze has a feature that lets you keep the audio coming via the phone speaker for the Waze app and not send it via Bluetooth to the car. Review this in the settings for the Waze app. I actually prefer setting it this way so I am not constantly interrupting my music or audio stream for road alerts from Waze.

Also, there have been various updates of the Android OS for the Samsung phones where if an application like YouTube, Tune-In, Pandora, etc was still in the active programs (but not the primary application with focus on the display), it will not release the audio for other apps like Waze. This can be very frustrating. Just take the time to do a "close all" and try again as a brute force test. I've seen similar issues on iPhone with some apps, so I can't say it is just an Android issue.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2016, 07:54 PM   #3
josec70
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22' Individual Chalk M5C

Thanks so much for your help! I'll give it a try.
Appreciate 0