M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

02-27-2017, 09:17 PM   #23
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstmng View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
Maybe I'm blind but where is the Turbo S?
right there

Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid in "The New Panamera E-Hybrid Models" section
You must have confused me with Phil, I wasn't the one confused between Turbo S (which there isn't one yet) and Turbo S E-Hybrid and the weight difference.

If you go back and read the posts, you said the Turbo S will have + 550kg over the M5, and Phil replied he doubt the S will add more than 100kg over the M5 since the Turbo only added 45kg over the M5.

The question I had with Bimmer6 was is there a regular Turbo S, which there isn't.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 04:33 AM   #24
mstmng
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 F10

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
right there

You must have confused me with Phil, I wasn't the one confused between Turbo S (which there isn't one yet) and Turbo S E-Hybrid and the weight difference.

If you go back and read the posts, you said the Turbo S will have + 550kg over the M5, and Phil replied he doubt the S will add more than 100kg over the M5 since the Turbo only added 45kg over the M5.

The question I had with Bimmer6 was is there a regular Turbo S, which there isn't.
I doubt there will be regular Turbo S
Hence i was referring to Turbo S E-Hybrid as Turbo S
But now we understood each other
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 07:41 AM   #25
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
right there

I doubt there will be regular Turbo S
Hence i was referring to Turbo S E-Hybrid as Turbo S
But now we understood each other
Yep!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 09:39 AM   #26
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
This would be interesting to see how the extra power and torque evens out with the extra weight of the hybrid batteries.

On a straight line, the weight penalty seems negligible in this case.......but what about in turns (e.g. Nurburgring)

We'll wait-and-see.....
Personally I think the Turbo S E-Hybrid is slower than the Turbo around the ring.

Weight is a giant killer in track time (most of the time anyways), hence even a regular M4 non CP was quicker at the ring than the M5 CP by SA's test. The Turbo S E-Hybrid Executive is at least 310kg more than the Turbo Executive (according official figures on Porsche's website), makes me hard to believe it will be able to overcome the Turbo on the track despite the HP and Torque advantages.

Plus I think if the Hybrid is even quicker than the Turbo, Porsche would have said it.

Of course I could be wrong, but if I am a betting man, I would bet the lighter Turbo is a better track performer.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 09:45 AM   #27
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackraven View Post
This would be interesting to see how the extra power and torque evens out with the extra weight of the hybrid batteries.

On a straight line, the weight penalty seems negligible in this case.......but what about in turns (e.g. Nurburgring)

We'll wait-and-see.....
Personally I think the Turbo S E-Hybrid is slower than the Turbo around the ring.

Weight is a giant killer in track time (most of the time anyways), hence even a regular M4 non CP was quicker at the ring than the M5 CP by SA's test. The Turbo S E-Hybrid Executive is at least 310kg more than the Turbo Executive (according official figures on Porsche's website), makes me hard to believe it will be able to overcome the Turbo on the track despite the HP and Torque advantages.

Plus I think if the Hybrid is even quicker than the Turbo, Porsche would have said it.

Of course I could be wrong, but if I am a betting man, I would bet the lighter Turbo is a better track performer.
Indeed. I mean we don't exactly see the Tesla P100D setting Nurburgring lap records with its 4,900lbs weight either. All anybody talks about the P100D are it's 0-60 and 1/4 mile times. Heavy cars can't turn.

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2017, 05:50 PM   #28
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

I'd love one of these as a daily... only when they do a 5 seat option though... why are Porsche casually just forgetting about 6hp too... usually they love to squeeze every last HP out of a car especially in promo literature... it's 686 hp combined not 680. I'm quite aware It's immaterial anyway
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 09:24 AM   #29
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5essex View Post
I'd love one of these as a daily... only when they do a 5 seat option though... why are Porsche casually just forgetting about 6hp too... usually they love to squeeze every last HP out of a car especially in promo literature... it's 686 hp combined not 680. I'm quite aware It's immaterial anyway
Now they have a 5 seat option with the Panamera sport Turismo Wagon. My guess is this will also be available on the regular 2018 Panamera too.

More details here:

http://www.autoblog.com/2017/03/01/2...hp-tile-large3
Appreciate 1
M5essex640.50
      03-02-2017, 09:38 AM   #30
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Interesting commments around HP and lap times, not being anti-speed, but how fast can you really dive a 4000 lbs car or want too. When I tracked the M5 and M6 I vowed to never do it again it was not fun whipping all that weight around the track. By the way you can chew up a set of tires during one track day. Now as a fast luxo cruiser the M5 was great for me I just didn't have the need for 4 doors .....listened to the wife. Now the few times a year when we take the M4 and have a friend she says see I told you we needed 4 doors(:

I spoke to my Porsche dealer in the north east, and he said lease rates on the Turbo are over 3k including a down. I rather buy the thing and keep it for 5 years before I fork out over 100k on a lease.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 08:04 AM   #31
tekaefixe
Private First Class
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 DCT CP PureMetalSilver

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
So I guess there's not going to be a regular Panamera Turbo S then?

I also highly doubt that the next M5 will be able to out perform that blistering 0-60 time of 3.2 seconds.

Also the all electric range of 31 miles is super impressive!

I do wonder if Stealth.Pilot would rather have this than the next M5? Lol!

Check it out.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ower?fbfanpage
I saw this on the news. Looks amazing. Like a 4 door 918. What an amazing car. I hope BMW does this with the next M5.

I think I will buy one of these eventually, but:

1) after they launch the update with the new Porsche HUD (not sure if 2018 MY will have it)

AND

2) after someone else owns it for a year and 5000 miles!
I'm also interested in the HUD. Do you think the new Cayenne will come with the option or it will only come in the next years?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2017, 01:36 PM   #32
Hashtag_M_Rated
///M Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 First Edition M5

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
I love that car and will eventually own one in the future on the other hand this car will be almost $100 more than what the new M5 will be. Not sure if it's a good comparison! I think the Panamera Turbo is a better comparison to what the new M5 is going to be.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2017, 06:11 AM   #33
phil_
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Panamera Turbo S

All this Panamera talk made me sell my M5. Although the new gen is fantastic the price is out of reach for me. I've always liked the old styling. I know I'm in the minority here.

Signed a deal for a 2012 Panamera Turbo S. It's being shipped cross country so the wait begins.

Black on black full leather. 20" Turbo wheels. 30,000 miles / 45,000km. CPO for 2 years and in Canada we can renew CPO until 10 years from original in service date.
      04-16-2017, 07:05 PM   #34
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hashtag_M_Rated View Post
I love that car and will eventually own one in the future on the other hand this car will be almost $100 more than what the new M5 will be. Not sure if it's a good comparison! I think the Panamera Turbo is a better comparison to what the new M5 is going to be.
I had a test drive of the Panamera Turbo last week. It is a fantastic car. It's handling and road holding is absolutely astonishing. I would say the cornering grip is 911 like and it's turn-in is even better. The steering is the best i've experienced and better than my 911 Turbo S.

The engine is also totally relentless. It reminded me a lot of the F10 M5 engine above 70mph which is high praise given that it is AWD with the same HP. And the lag is non existent and the best I have experienced from a Turbo engine so far.

Also the new nav interface is superb. Really quick.

I'm totally smitten with this car. However it is too expensive for a second car given its depreciation pattern, and while we could go for a 4S, my wife also doesn't want something with too low a ride height either. She's decided to wait for the new GLC63S Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #35
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I had a test drive of the Panamera Turbo last week. It is a fantastic car. It's handling and road holding is absolutely astonishing. I would say the cornering grip is 911 like and it's turn-in is even better. The steering is the best i've experienced and better than my 911 Turbo S.

The engine is also totally relentless. It reminded me a lot of the F10 M5 engine above 70mph which is high praise given that it is AWD with the same HP. And the lag is non existent and the best I have experienced from a Turbo engine so far.

I'm totally smitten with this car. However it is too expensive for a second car given its depreciation pattern, and while we could go for a 4S, my wife also doesn't want something with too low a ride height either. She's decided to wait for the new GLC63S Coupe.
Sport Auto had already tested the new Pam Turbo. And yes, the review said Pam Turbo drives like a four door 911. But it is slower than the current M5 and M6 in a straight line acceleration, likely due to downforce.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 10:11 PM   #36
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Sport Auto had already tested the new Pam Turbo. And yes, the review said Pam Turbo drives like a four door 911. But it is slower than the current M5 and M6 in a straight line acceleration, likely due to downforce.
Maybe over a quarter mile but not 0-70.

Either way I'm addicted to cornering speed and in that this car really excelled.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 10:33 PM   #37
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer6 View Post
Still have the M passion I really hope the M5 is a treat!
My vote for KING.... well in your case it's TOPLESS QUEEN as Vic55 named her
BTW have you ever tried or heard anyone tried 305 tire on rear?
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 10:36 PM   #38
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe over a quarter mile but not 0-70.

Either way I'm addicted to cornering speed and in that this car really excelled.
Well you said above 70mph so I thought you were talking about acceleration after 70mph.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2017, 06:58 AM   #39
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by M6-Coupe View Post
My vote for KING.... well in your case it's TOPLESS QUEEN as Vic55 named her
BTW have you ever tried or heard anyone tried 305 tire on rear?
Sorry I have not ....he'll my car has 4200 miles on it almost two years. Too much work no play(:
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2017, 08:19 AM   #40
F83
Roofless & Ruthless
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY 6MT F83

Garage List
Quote:
Not all is lost, while the Pam Turbo or Turbo S no doubt probably better on track, M5 should be able to beat them in a roll.

In fact based on the latest Auto Bild test, the new Pam Turbo needs 35.1 seconds just to get to 280km/h, even the current F10 M5 is quicker than that.

It's not a knock against the Porsche since it looks like they prioritized downforce over top speed acceleration, but since many in this forum are more interested in a rolling competition than a track competition, I think the M5 still is a good choice.
Plus you will be able to get a fully loaded M5 for a price that won't get you into a stripper e Turbo.

I blame Lups because of reasons.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 06:40 PM   #41
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So I guess there's not going to be a regular Panamera Turbo S then?

I also highly doubt that the next M5 will be able to out perform that blistering 0-60 time of 3.2 seconds.

Also the all electric range of 31 miles is super impressive!

I do wonder if Stealth.Pilot would rather have this than the next M5? Lol!

Check it out.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...ower?fbfanpage
Hey Dave @RPiM5

I bought one of these and still have not had the next M5. So you were right!

[IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...9b1c2111_b.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...2f5569bf_b.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...4b2690c1_b.jpg[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2020, 11:41 PM   #42
brava09
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4C xdrive

Quote:
then?

What?
11 Audi RS5 Misano Red--sold
08 E92 M3 Jerez Black 6MT--sold
08 E92 335i 6MT traded in for M3
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 12:20 AM   #43
Bullish657
Private
Rep
Drives: M5

Still ugly tho isn't it - modern version of the Austin Princess
Attached Images