BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

04-18-2020, 04:31 AM   #1
J11SEK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 2015

Any of you guys ever changed the oem cooling thermostat for the 90degree version?? Have read a lot about these helping the engine stay cooler during increased pressures/temperatures and therefore helping avoid any said problems occurring due to increased heat etc.... have searched online for this component but failed to find one just wondering if anyone on here (uk) has one fitted?? Tia.
Ps wondered how relevant these are to our uk weather conditions
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 05:44 AM   #2
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Our cars control the thermostat in different ways depending on the mode you drive in.
In efficient the thermostat allows the temperature to go over 100 degrees whereas in sport plus it drops down to somewhere in the 80s, I can't remember exact numbers but I remember watching this occur in the secret menu.

I dont think our weather in the UK warrants the use of a different thermostat.
Appreciate 1
J11SEK268.00
      04-18-2020, 09:59 AM   #3
J11SEK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
Our cars control the thermostat in different ways depending on the mode you drive in.
In efficient the thermostat allows the temperature to go over 100 degrees whereas in sport plus it drops down to somewhere in the 80s, I can't remember exact numbers but I remember watching this occur in the secret menu.

I dont think our weather in the UK warrants the use of a different thermostat.
Dwaynos that's interesting...... so if in stand still traffic and temps rising, sport plus can be opted for to lower coolant temps??
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 12:25 PM   #4
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J11SEK View Post
Dwaynos that's interesting...... so if in stand still traffic and temps rising, sport plus can be opted for to lower coolant temps??
Yes most definitely, next time you're out in the car, access the secret menu and find coolant temp, drive around in efficient and watch the numbers climb, put it in sport plus and watch them fall again very quickly.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 12:28 PM   #5
J11SEK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by J11SEK View Post
Yes most definitely, next time you're out in the car, access the secret menu and find coolant temp, drive around in efficient and watch the numbers climb, put it in sport plus and watch them fall again very quickly.
Sorry Dwaynos I'm fairly new to ownership...... is there an easy way to access this "secret menu" tia.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 01:16 PM   #6
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah you do it via the button on the instrument cluster. If you Google f10 hidden menu or secret menu you will find the instructions there.
Appreciate 0