BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-17-2020, 05:35 PM   #1
bmwpower603
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 m3 coupe 08 e90 M3

S63 engine reliability compared to S65

How reliable is the s63 engine ? Is there a place that engine failure numbers can be found for these vehicles?

I currently own a 2008 m3 with 173k miles. The engine is very healthy, with all preventative maintenance already done. Has anyone had experience with both the s65, and s63 engines? I have ISTA, and lots of experience working on bmws and audi. Everyone knows about the rod bearing issue with s65 engines. But besides that, the engines are really solid. Only place it can leak oil are : Valve covers, oil pan, oil filter housing, spark plug tubes, and timing covers. I know this will not be the case with the s63. (I’m not worried about leaks) As they can easily be stopped usually.

Do these s63 engines require rod bearing replacement as preventative measure? And if so, will this bullet proof the engine ? If I had to guess, replacing all 8 injectors and ignition coils would be much more expensive than a rod bearing service on this engine.

Does anyone have extremely high miles, and can share some thoughts about overall engine health? I bought my m3 with over 150k, with every service done at the dealer. And it was driven lightly, due to having a child in the rear. I would preferably be looking for something similar with high miles. So I know all the crap has been done already!

My e90 m3 isn’t really doing it anymore as far as power output. Which is my reason for looking into maybe f10 m5, or m6 grande coupe in a 6 speed manual.

Thoughts?

-Cheers

Here’s a pic of the old girl

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 09:12 PM   #2
Jonzny
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Came from and E92 M3, gobs more power though significantly more muted driving in experience, in both sound and feel.

So far no major concerns, unlike E9x w rod bearings and TAs.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 10:37 AM   #3
NotSooFast
On the Go!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Just a few!

Moved from e90 to e92 to F10, all M's.

The F10 is more reliable for me at the same mileage and time point as my e9x. Though the e9x was soo much fun and engaging.

There is nothing like a bulletproof engine. Since majority of E9x's are over the 60K mark in mileage you are seeing failures as a common occurrence and due to low price points, people are going the preventative maint. route. The F10's still have some ways to reach that age. Also, with proper care and oil change intervals there are F10s over 100K on stock engines - these are also the ones on stock or conservative stage 1 tunes.

You should be fine with the F10 if you get one with all the documented service history. However, there is guarantee it is going to be bullet-proof. Hope this helps!
      05-18-2020, 08:14 PM   #4
94jedi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 M3

yep, came from an E90 M3, 2008 Stg 2 tune w/ full akra and other bolt ons...I've been lucky w/ both to be honest. I replaced RB's in the M3 and a few other minor things; Haven't had a much issue w/ the S63 either. I'd say they're pretty on par w/ each other but the S63's do eat RB's too. Actually, I'm beginning to think all M cars do.
      05-19-2020, 11:29 AM   #5
S_CDSM5
Private
Rep
Drives: 650 Gran Coupe

f10 m5 is going to have much much more power. Just be sensible, stay within a stage 1 tune and keep the power upgrades limited. Any M car is going to be expensive to maintain. Also do not buy one thinking your walking into reliability. They are decent cars but by no means bulletproof. Regular oil changes and all the maintenance being done on time is crucial. They are cool cars however.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 01:27 PM   #6
Jonzny
First Lieutenant
Rep

Soon after posting my original reply, I am pretty sure I have lost my engine.
Loud ticking noise, could be a spun bearing or bent rod.. Not sure yet, but it is not a comforting sound

I'll be getting into a E9x w/ addressed RB and TAs
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2020, 08:31 PM   #7
bmwpower603
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 m3 coupe 08 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonzny View Post
Soon after posting my original reply, I am pretty sure I have lost my engine.
Loud ticking noise, could be a spun bearing or bent rod.. Not sure yet, but it is not a comforting sound

I'll be getting into a E9x w/ addressed RB and TAs
Good choice with getting an e90.

But even with rod bearings done. The main bearings can still fail. But it’s very unlikely.

I still want the f10 m5. So if you had done the rod bearings you’d be in the clear?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 10:14 PM   #8
Jonzny
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwpower603 View Post
Good choice with getting an e90.

But even with rod bearings done. The main bearings can still fail. But it’s very unlikely.

I still want the f10 m5. So if you had done the rod bearings you’d be in the clear?
As of right now I have no idea if it's a spun bearing or a bent rod. I haven't heard of anyone doing RBs on these cars, unlike E46 and E9x M3s

Needless to say I wouldn't recommend the car to others without a warranty, simply not worth it. The cost of a replacement motor in these cars is too much. If I blew my E9x motor the replacement would be half the cost.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2020, 05:54 PM   #9
AngryDog
Rep
Drives: E55 AMG

Slightly concerning reading about engine failures. I'm at the point where I want to start looking at f10's to replace my E60, but obviously don't want to jump out of 1 frying pan straight into another.
Appreciate 0