M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-04-2023, 07:08 AM   #67
M5Rick
General
M5Rick's Avatar
61365
Rep
19,862
Posts

Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Southern England

iTrader: (0)

^ Good vid
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 10:41 AM   #68
lucid21
Private
United_States
29
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: 2014 6MT M5 Comp
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoxautox View Post

That’s the thing, it does have a tensioner, it is the main pulley. It has a u shaped middle so that when the arrow is facing the ac it lets the tension off and the belt comes right off. Then as you turn the crank back so the arrow faces away it tensions it back up, then you put the four bolts back on. It’s a pretty smart design.

I found pics at the very end of this video:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mNb6xTwKYHw
OK, but I don't think this is necessary and seems like a lot of work in a tight space to pull off. My understanding is that these belts will "stretch" to some degree without being damaged and a tool like this will do that for you without the need to "relieve" the tension on the belt. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AC60VEC...roduct_details

I've seen several videos of that being done on S63 engines, but I haven't done it myself.
__________________
88 S14 M3 (NASA GTS3 racecar) / 11 6MT 550i M Sport / 14 6MT M5 Competition / 15 X5 50i M Sport (tow vehicle)
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 08:29 PM   #69
autoxautox
Private
33
Rep
57
Posts

Drives: BMW M5 F10 2015 Comp
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid21 View Post
OK, but I don't think this is necessary and seems like a lot of work in a tight space to pull off. My understanding is that these belts will "stretch" to some degree without being damaged and a tool like this will do that for you without the need to "relieve" the tension on the belt. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AC60VEC...roduct_details

I've seen several videos of that being done on S63 engines, but I haven't done it myself.
Cool tool. Thanks for the info, never heard of it.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2023, 09:12 PM   #70
lucid21
Private
United_States
29
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: 2014 6MT M5 Comp
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoxautox View Post
Cool tool. Thanks for the info, never heard of it.
I'll keep you posted on if/how that tool works. Also, did you need access from the bottom, or could you take care of it from above? Trying to figure out if I should have the car on a ramp before I start. Thanks.
__________________
88 S14 M3 (NASA GTS3 racecar) / 11 6MT 550i M Sport / 14 6MT M5 Competition / 15 X5 50i M Sport (tow vehicle)
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2023, 06:08 AM   #71
autoxautox
Private
33
Rep
57
Posts

Drives: BMW M5 F10 2015 Comp
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucid21 View Post
I'll keep you posted on if/how that tool works. Also, did you need access from the bottom, or could you take care of it from above? Trying to figure out if I should have the car on a ramp before I start. Thanks.
For the ac belt, I needed access from the bottom. You could probably get away with doing the main belt from the top but it helped to have the bottom access for it as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2023, 05:53 PM   #72
lucid21
Private
United_States
29
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: 2014 6MT M5 Comp
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Massachusetts

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoxautox View Post
For the ac belt, I needed access from the bottom. You could probably get away with doing the main belt from the top but it helped to have the bottom access for it as well.
Got it. Thanks.
__________________
88 S14 M3 (NASA GTS3 racecar) / 11 6MT 550i M Sport / 14 6MT M5 Competition / 15 X5 50i M Sport (tow vehicle)
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 12:59 AM   #73
kevlarblue
Registered
United_States
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i, 2013 M5, 2006 650i
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Las Vegas, NV

iTrader: (0)

I just got a 2013 with 65K and it whines just like videos in this thread. Did anybody get results from the tensioner or anything else?

Mine is a 6MT and only makes the noise when in gear and under acceleration and it sounds like it comes from the transmission or driveshaft area. This is not consistent with a tensioner in my opinion because the whine is not present in neutral at any RPM.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2024, 11:21 PM   #74
dadcrisis
Registered
dadcrisis's Avatar
No_Country
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 2013 M5
Join Date: Apr 2024
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevlarblue View Post
I just got a 2013 with 65K and it whines just like videos in this thread. Did anybody get results from the tensioner or anything else?

Mine is a 6MT and only makes the noise when in gear and under acceleration and it sounds like it comes from the transmission or driveshaft area. This is not consistent with a tensioner in my opinion because the whine is not present in neutral at any RPM.

Iím having same issues as you kevlarblue also a 6MT. Have you made any progress in identifying the whine?

I gave DP and AFE intakes too, but I donít think theyíre related.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2024, 03:09 PM   #75
kevlarblue
Registered
United_States
0
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 2009 335i, 2013 M5, 2006 650i
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Las Vegas, NV

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadcrisis View Post
Iím having same issues as you kevlarblue also a 6MT. Have you made any progress in identifying the whine?

I gave DP and AFE intakes too, but I donít think theyíre related.
I decided to try a flush of the transmission fluid and that made no difference. It still whines just like before.

Foolishly, I took it to the dealership for the flush and thought they might have an answer or be able to diagnose the noise. They were reluctant to even do the flush because it's a "lifetime fluid" and they don't recommend it (even though the technician does it for his personal M4). Their next course of action would have been to remove and inspect, but ultimately replace, the transmission at a mere cost of $19,600.

The technician suspected the noise is coming from a bearing on the input shaft. I disagree with that because it sounds nothing like any bearing I have ever heard (whining like gears vs a growl or grind like a bearing) but I am not a trained mechanic.

For now, I am going to just live with the noise and continue to drive and enjoy the car. Hopefully a resolution or some information will present itself.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST