Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

03-18-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Road Debris vs. M5

Well, at lunch today I had some sort of road debris thrown up on my car.

Clear bra helped, but I think the bumper cover will need replacing, so not much help there. What do you guys think?
Attached Images

03-18-2013, 04:30 PM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

This is why we can't have nice things in America! In Europe every single road is immaculate! I never saw a single piece of debris on the road anywhere, especially in Germany. You could literally eat off the pavement!

Your bumper might need replacing. I had a piece of debris hit my font bumper a week after I got the Clear-Bra on. Luckily my damage isn't that noticable. I'm going to replace my bumper when it gets more beat up.

Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
ONEOF40 FS M3
FROZEN SILVER
Rep
Drives: '12 E92 M3 FS EDITION

Garage List
You might be able to get it fix, hard to tell just from the pic...but in any case it sucks. Hope it all work out for you.

I agree with RPiM5. I have hit all types of things in US roads, especially pieces of tires. It is like obstacle course out there sometimes and at high speeds sometimes there is just not enough time to react, and other times things just come out flying from cars ahead of you.

I came to the conclusion not to use any type of clear bra because in cases like this, it does not help much and sun effect over time. I just get the front bumper respray once it gets really bad, and use touch up if applicable.

PREVIOUS M CARS - 02 E39 M5 / 06 E60 M5 / F10 M5 6MT 14 991 C2S
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
ColdList
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: McLaren 675LT / C7 Z07

Must be pretty deep (looks like it). I know the Suntek clear bra on my car has a self-healing clear coat. Pretty cool stuff. Of course, with severe cuts you are not going to be protected. Looks like you will be respraying.

STINKS!
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 12:50 AM   #5
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdList
Must be pretty deep (looks like it). I know the Suntek clear bra on my car has a self-healing clear coat. Pretty cool stuff. Of course, with severe cuts you are not going to be protected. Looks like you will be respraying.

STINKS!
The suntek is amazing. I had a deep graze on mine from a high speed rock impact. You could see where the material was scraped. A few weeks later and it looks like new again. Truly self healing.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Yeah, it's fairly deep. It is a shame we have to look out for such things on our roadways. I saw a 20/20 special over the weekend and it showed a woman who was almost impaled by a piece of lumber kicked up and thrown into her windshield. Scary stuff...

Maybe I should replace it with the Euro bumper cover that does not include the reflectors (since I'd probably have to hit up IND again for new painted ones with the new bumper)?
      03-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvaughan View Post
Yeah, it's fairly deep. It is a shame we have to look out for such things on our roadways. I saw a 20/20 special over the weekend and it showed a woman who was almost impaled by a piece of lumber kicked up and thrown into her windshield. Scary stuff...

Maybe I should replace it with the Euro bumper cover that does not include the reflectors (since I'd probably have to hit up IND again for new painted ones with the new bumper)?
Definitely go of for the euro bumper cover. Or have them fill the reflector hole with a filler and then paint the bumper so you don't need a painted reflector.
Appreciate 0