M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

04-01-2019, 08:23 PM   #23
aayaz
M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 Monte Carlo M5

I bought the special BMW oil filter removal cap but for the life of me i couldn't get the filter housing off. The BMW filter removal tool kept slipping around. Might be because it's cold here in NY but any tips? Should i maybe put some double sided tape on the tool?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 05:59 AM   #24
Guy M5
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 2014 MCB

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayaz View Post
I bought the special BMW oil filter removal cap but for the life of me i couldn't get the filter housing off. The BMW filter removal tool kept slipping around. Might be because it's cold here in NY but any tips? Should i maybe put some double sided tape on the tool?
It's definitely the right tool, yes?

Maybe double check?

Mine was a very snug fit on the filter housing and I can't imagine how tight the filter would have to be (it shouldn't be that tight anyway) for it to have slipped while removing it!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 08:16 AM   #25
aayaz
M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy M5 View Post
Quote:
It's definitely the right tool, yes?

Maybe double check?

Mine was a very snug fit on the filter housing and I can't imagine how tight the filter would have to be (it shouldn't be that tight anyway) for it to have slipped while removing it!
Yea it's definitely the right tool. It does fit very snug for me too. Here is what I'm using
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 09:53 AM   #26
Guy M5
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 2014 MCB

Yep, that's the correct tool.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 08:22 PM   #27
aayaz
M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Anyone have any suggestions to try? This stupid filter housing is on so damn tight!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 09:36 AM   #28
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Have you tried undoing it when the engine is stone cold which may be better then warm the oil after you've loosened then slightly tightened the filter housing for ease of draining oil. Obviously some grunt overtightened it way too much before.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 11:47 AM   #29
aayaz
M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5theonlyone View Post
Have you tried undoing it when the engine is stone cold which may be better then warm the oil after you've loosened then slightly tightened the filter housing for ease of draining oil. Obviously some grunt overtightened it way too much before.
Wouldn't a cold engine result in the oil filter housing being more difficult to remove then a hot engine? I'm guessing when i first had the oil changed last year, the INDY shop did not lubricate the filter housing rubber ring.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 12:02 PM   #30
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Wouldn't a cold engine result in the oil filter housing being more difficult to remove then a hot engine? I'm guessing when i first had the oil changed last year, the INDY shop did not lubricate the filter housing rubber ring.
I'm thinking on the basis of hot metal expanding and being more difficult to undo.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 12:07 PM   #31
aayaz
M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm thinking on the basis of hot metal expanding and being more difficult to undo.
Have you ever tried those adjustable filter wrenches? I've read that people stick a piece of sand paper around it too for better leverage.

I really can't stand when these shops over tighten everything and not to the exact spec it's supposed to be tightened at!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 12:21 PM   #32
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Have you ever tried those adjustable filter wrenches? I've read that people stick a piece of sand paper around it too for better leverage.

I really can't stand when these shops over tighten everything and not to the exact spec it's supposed to be tightened at!
As a rule I have my oil/filter change at a BMW service shop not far from me together with it's yearly roadworthiness test and wouldn't take these cars to some other agent that does all makes.These special engines need everything torqued to factory spec inc oil filter.
Let us know how you get on and as your doing it at home maybe try putting a handy jack under the filter wrench to really jam it in to get proper leverage.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 02:42 PM   #33
aayaz
M Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
As a rule I have my oil/filter change at a BMW service shop not far from me together with it's yearly roadworthiness test and wouldn't take these cars to some other agent that does all makes.These special engines need everything torqued to factory spec inc oil filter.
Let us know how you get on and as your doing it at home maybe try putting a handy jack under the filter wrench to really jam it in to get proper leverage.
Update: i bought some sand paper and wrapped it along the inside of the oil filter removal tool. Then i used the long metal handle of my old low profile jack and fit it over my torque wrench to gain much more leverage and gave it a nice snug quick turn to the left and the filter came loose. I'll be sure to torque it to the right spec and not over tighten.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 05:38 PM   #34
mrtt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46/E60/E92/F10/E55

Quote:
Update: i bought some sand paper and wrapped it along the inside of the oil filter removal tool. Then i used the long metal handle of my old low profile jack and fit it over my torque wrench to gain much more leverage and gave it a nice snug quick turn to the left and the filter came loose. I'll be sure to torque it to the right spec and not over tighten.
your filter housing shouldn't have been that tight. Hand snug is fine.
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00
      04-05-2019, 05:41 PM   #35
mrtt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46/E60/E92/F10/E55

Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/Ease2U-Filter...r=8-1-fkmrnull

Worked flawlessly, nice and tight fit. Use a 3" 3/8 extension and it's a breeze
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 11:12 AM   #36
arsecossie
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

Thanks for the video! I'm about to go change my oil 😊
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 08:35 AM   #37
theinfamousdrew
I'm The Captain Now
Rep
Drives: X5M/X7

Garage List
Hey Fast400 , do you mind adding all of the pertinent info to the original thread?
I can never remember how many quarts/liters are required. lol

Such as:
Tools needed
Oil capacity
Etc

Thanks in advance!

Turn on. Tune in. Drop out.
IG: @InfamousCarGuy

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 09:17 AM   #38
pritchhd@yahoo.com
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 bmw m5

Engine oil capacity

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f10-m5-lim_201608/repair-manuals/11-engine/11-00-engine/GIXXgkBH
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2019, 09:18 AM   #39
pritchhd@yahoo.com
DSC OFF
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 bmw m5

oil Change procedure

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...ngine/GaW7awrR
Appreciate 2
OneExtra809.50
Flying Ace4982.50
      12-19-2019, 02:11 PM   #40
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G05 45e, 997.1 & 991.1 GT3s

I still find it odd that it's acceptable to allow the oil to splatter out of the filter housing and onto the underbelly tray. There's got to be a better way to drain the housing without removing the underbelly tray. I'm even toying around with re-purposing an old milk jug like a large funnel.
      12-19-2019, 09:08 PM   #41
Fast400
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: iX M60

Garage List
2014 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Ace View Post
I still find it odd that it's acceptable to allow the oil to splatter out of the filter housing and onto the underbelly tray. There's got to be a better way to drain the housing without removing the underbelly tray. I'm even toying around with re-purposing an old milk jug like a large funnel.
Lol
That's actually a brilliant idea
Maybe a 2liter coke bottle with the bottom cut
If you're really careful and slow you can minimize the mess you make
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 11:35 PM   #42
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast400 View Post
Lol
The funnel ideally needs to be a cone shaped. Thin on the end that'll slide into the housing hole and wide enough on the other side to put your arm through to unscrew the filter.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 04:49 PM   #43
Flying Ace
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast400 View Post
Lol
You're right, I changed my oil over the weekend.

I took the advice in here to unscrew the filter cap just enough to allow the oil to flow down the side of the filter. After the drip is done, I completely removed the filter and there was no mess. I just had to clean the wench and cap, which you have to do anyways.

Key procedure to changing any oil is when it drains, open the filler cap to relief the pressure to allow a full drain. Then, plug it all up (filter, drain and filler) first, and unplug the drain again and you'll see more oil come out of the drain due to shifts in pressure. Plug it all up again and repeat with removing only the filter. This is the quickest way to drain if you don't have the luxury of allowing it to drain overnight
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2022, 11:22 AM   #44
x35250
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5, Monte Carlo Blue

Use this time and time again. Thanks!
Appreciate 0