M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
SleepTight
Second Lieutenant
SleepTight's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
287
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW M5
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Long Island, New York

iTrader: (0)

No "M" animation on startup--why?

No matter how long my car sits, I almost never get the animated "M" graphic on the navigation screen when I start the car. I understand that the full startup sequence doesn't run if the car has not been shut off for some lengthy period of time, but shouldn't 24 hours be sufficient to get the full startup animation?

Every once in a while, I will get the "M" animation on the navigation when I start the car (which is how I know its there in the first place) but it seems to be completely random and unrelated to the amount of time the car has sat. Also, it makes no difference whether I lock the car or leave it in my garage unlocked.

In contrast, I always get the "M" graphic on the HUD on my morning startup.

It's obviously not a big deal but seriously, what gives?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
bobblehead
Brigadier General
bobblehead's Avatar
Canada
210
Rep
4,689
Posts

Drives: warp speed
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Toronto, On

iTrader: (0)

funny thing .. I never noticed that "M" thing on startup ...

i just pressed Start and buckled up and gear in and drive away ....
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 03:24 PM   #3
wdimagineer
Major
wdimagineer's Avatar
United_States
324
Rep
1,377
Posts

Drives: 2015 X5 M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (0)

I coded mine to always appear by increasing the startup delay. It's just the system being "ready" before the animation can play. I guess BMW's engineers figured that you'd care more about iDrive being ready for use than seeing an animation play.
__________________
Current: 2015 X5 M - Donington Grey/Mugello Red - DINANTRONICS Stage 2 + Free Flow Exhaust - Bimmerpost Featured!
Past: Bimmerpost Featured 2014 X5 xDrive50i 2014 Jeep SRT 2013 Tesla Model S P85+ Bimmerpost Featured 2013 F10 M5 2012 550 xDrive 2011 M3 ZCP
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
stealth.pilot
Major General
stealth.pilot's Avatar
United Kingdom
409
Rep
5,877
Posts

Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Buckhead

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
I coded mine to always appear by increasing the startup delay. It's just the system being "ready" before the animation can play. I guess BMW's engineers figured that you'd care more about iDrive being ready for use than seeing an animation play.
Interesting. Can you share what parameter you changed?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
wdimagineer
Major
wdimagineer's Avatar
United_States
324
Rep
1,377
Posts

Drives: 2015 X5 M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (0)

I don't recall off the top of my head, but the values were START_UP or something similar. Just set the delay in seconds. Options exist for both iDrive and HUD.
__________________
Current: 2015 X5 M - Donington Grey/Mugello Red - DINANTRONICS Stage 2 + Free Flow Exhaust - Bimmerpost Featured!
Past: Bimmerpost Featured 2014 X5 xDrive50i 2014 Jeep SRT 2013 Tesla Model S P85+ Bimmerpost Featured 2013 F10 M5 2012 550 xDrive 2011 M3 ZCP
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #6
emmfive
Lieutenant
emmfive's Avatar
United_States
66
Rep
560
Posts

Drives: 2019 i8
Join Date: May 2012
Location: CA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
I guess BMW's engineers figured that you'd care more about iDrive being ready for use than seeing an animation play.
Oh they are so wrong. I'm going to code my car so I see this each and every time
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 05:37 PM   #7
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
mcvaughan's Avatar
United_States
397
Rep
1,590
Posts

Drives: F87 Competition
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Katy, TX

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobblehead View Post
funny thing .. I never noticed that "M" thing on startup ...

i just pressed Start and buckled up and gear in and drive away ....
LOL me too!
__________________
Matt
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #8
wdimagineer
Major
wdimagineer's Avatar
United_States
324
Rep
1,377
Posts

Drives: 2015 X5 M
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisratz View Post
Oh they are so wrong. I'm going to code my car so I see this each and every time
That's why I coded it.

I guess 'regular' F10 owners have no fancy animation so they don't know what they're missing.
__________________
Current: 2015 X5 M - Donington Grey/Mugello Red - DINANTRONICS Stage 2 + Free Flow Exhaust - Bimmerpost Featured!
Past: Bimmerpost Featured 2014 X5 xDrive50i 2014 Jeep SRT 2013 Tesla Model S P85+ Bimmerpost Featured 2013 F10 M5 2012 550 xDrive 2011 M3 ZCP
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 07:05 PM   #9
V8
Enlisted Member
6
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: F13 M6 Coupe
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Does coding void warranty? Also really want ///M animation on start up!!
Anyone know how to do it?
i.e. is it a simple thing once you have the correct cables?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #10
nytrus112
///MBajan
nytrus112's Avatar
United_States
28
Rep
203
Posts

Drives: '14 M5 SB CP; '15M235i SB
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepTight View Post
No matter how long my car sits, I almost never get the animated "M" graphic on the navigation screen when I start the car. I understand that the full startup sequence doesn't run if the car has not been shut off for some lengthy period of time, but shouldn't 24 hours be sufficient to get the full startup animation?

Every once in a while, I will get the "M" animation on the navigation when I start the car (which is how I know its there in the first place) but it seems to be completely random and unrelated to the amount of time the car has sat. Also, it makes no difference whether I lock the car or leave it in my garage unlocked.

In contrast, I always get the "M" graphic on the HUD on my morning startup.

It's obviously not a big deal but seriously, what gives?

HAHAHAHA....dude get out of my head. I was just about to start a thread about this. I SWEAR!!! Yeh I noticed randomly I sometimes get that M animation which I really like. I'd like to get it every time also actually. Is this something I can get the dealership to code? I don't plan on messing with any codes myself. It is definitely totally random. Good explanation above but I'd love to see it every time honestly. I do always get the pretty "Navigation starting up" animation with the city skyline. But I want the M one every time.
__________________
2015 M235i Sapphire BLK/ Black; MPE/MP trim/MPE/MP splitter/MP diffuser/ LSD/6SP/TP/PP
2014 M5/CP Sapphire BLK
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 12:19 AM   #11
nugent
Captain
nugent's Avatar
United_States
39
Rep
603
Posts

Drives: f10 m5
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: san francisco

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepTight
No matter how long my car sits, I almost never get the animated "M" graphic on the navigation screen when I start the car. I understand that the full startup sequence doesn't run if the car has not been shut off for some lengthy period of time, but shouldn't 24 hours be sufficient to get the full startup animation?

Every once in a while, I will get the "M" animation on the navigation when I start the car (which is how I know its there in the first place) but it seems to be completely random and unrelated to the amount of time the car has sat. Also, it makes no difference whether I lock the car or leave it in my garage unlocked.

In contrast, I always get the "M" graphic on the HUD on my morning startup.

It's obviously not a big deal but seriously, what gives?
you sure you're driving an ///M?
__________________
e92 m3 6MT, RS4 6MT, S4 Avant 6MT, WRX 5MT, Corsica

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 02:31 AM   #12
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
25
Rep
563
Posts

Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Edmonton alberta, canada.

iTrader: (0)

i wish i could get this coded. but i know jack shit about coding. mine only shows the ///M in the HUD on start up, never on the nav screen. THAT would be cool. then others could see it too.

is it only on the 2013's that you see this? mines a 2012.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 08:27 AM   #13
AGS
Major
AGS's Avatar
193
Rep
1,074
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5 Competition
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrus112 View Post
I do always get the pretty "Navigation starting up" animation with the city skyline.
I've never seen this. When does it come up? What settings cause it to appear?
__________________
Current: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2014 Anvil WW Jeep Wrangler
Previous: 2016 Silverstone M5, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 02:09 PM   #14
nytrus112
///MBajan
nytrus112's Avatar
United_States
28
Rep
203
Posts

Drives: '14 M5 SB CP; '15M235i SB
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGS View Post
I've never seen this. When does it come up? What settings cause it to appear?
LOL...wow...so we all have different experiences it seems. Well, sometimes instead of getting the nice M startup screen, my system just quickly goes to the BS screen with the disclaimer asking you to say OK to not using the system while driving and blah blah. If I press ok quickly, my next screen is :"Navigation System is starting up...." and I get an animation that's a pretty green outline of a city skyline kind of shimmering in greeen on screen. Looks pretty tight I must admit. No one else know what I'm referring to???
__________________
2015 M235i Sapphire BLK/ Black; MPE/MP trim/MPE/MP splitter/MP diffuser/ LSD/6SP/TP/PP
2014 M5/CP Sapphire BLK
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #15
nytrus112
///MBajan
nytrus112's Avatar
United_States
28
Rep
203
Posts

Drives: '14 M5 SB CP; '15M235i SB
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

I'm gonna have my camera ready today with each startup and take pics of every alternate animation I see and post here later.
__________________
2015 M235i Sapphire BLK/ Black; MPE/MP trim/MPE/MP splitter/MP diffuser/ LSD/6SP/TP/PP
2014 M5/CP Sapphire BLK
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #16
AGS
Major
AGS's Avatar
193
Rep
1,074
Posts

Drives: 2019 M5 Competition
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrus112 View Post
LOL...wow...so we all have different experiences it seems. Well, sometimes instead of getting the nice M startup screen, my system just quickly goes to the BS screen with the disclaimer asking you to say OK to not using the system while driving and blah blah. If I press ok quickly, my next screen is :"Navigation System is starting up...." and I get an animation that's a pretty green outline of a city skyline kind of shimmering in greeen on screen. Looks pretty tight I must admit. No one else know what I'm referring to???
It is really funny that BMW has all this stuff in there and there's no consistency to when it comes up! I see the "M show" about half the time, and the other half the time it goes right to the disclaimer screen. I've never seen the city scape. Could be you shut the car off with a location plugged into the nav?
__________________
Current: 2019 Donnington Grey M5 Competition, 2014 Anvil WW Jeep Wrangler
Previous: 2016 Silverstone M5, 2013 Monte Carlo Blue M5 (ED on 9/1/12), 2009 Carbon Black M5, 2006 Silverstone M5, 2003 Sterling Grey M5, 2000 Anthracite 540i6, 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9Ltd, 1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD, 1978 Mazda RX-7
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #17
nytrus112
///MBajan
nytrus112's Avatar
United_States
28
Rep
203
Posts

Drives: '14 M5 SB CP; '15M235i SB
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGS View Post
It is really funny that BMW has all this stuff in there and there's no consistency to when it comes up! I see the "M show" about half the time, and the other half the time it goes right to the disclaimer screen. I've never seen the city scape. Could be you shut the car off with a location plugged into the nav?
Nope. This is regardless of if a destination is plugged in at end of my trip. I will be now watching it more closely for those kinds of differences/situations though. Pretty sure it's not that. I've seen it many times and I can count very few times I've used my M5 GPS for destination so far. Pretty sure not related.
__________________
2015 M235i Sapphire BLK/ Black; MPE/MP trim/MPE/MP splitter/MP diffuser/ LSD/6SP/TP/PP
2014 M5/CP Sapphire BLK
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #18
cpiguy
Captain
cpiguy's Avatar
United_States
56
Rep
639
Posts

Drives: 2014 Porsche 911 Turbo S
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Westlake Village, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Never seen either.
__________________

CPIGUY
2017 Ferrari 488 Spider
2019 Tesla Model 3 Performance
2019 BMW X5 MSport, in coming
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 04:54 PM   #19
mdernst
Private First Class
mdernst's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
173
Posts

Drives: Tesla Model S
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hammond, LA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
While I'm not sure (like others, I can't figure out when the M animation is going to come up or not) but I think the only time you stand any chance of seeing the "city scape" is if it was displaying the map when you turned the car off and it is trying to boot back directly into the navigation map screen.

Even then, you don't get it everytime - just when it needs a few extra seconds to boot to the Map screen.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #20
Mperial
Second Lieutenant
Mperial's Avatar
United_States
48
Rep
292
Posts

Drives: 2016 M3, 2017 X1
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Haven't seen either of these features...
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2012, 12:34 AM   #21
nytrus112
///MBajan
nytrus112's Avatar
United_States
28
Rep
203
Posts

Drives: '14 M5 SB CP; '15M235i SB
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdernst View Post
While I'm not sure (like others, I can't figure out when the M animation is going to come up or not) but I think the only time you stand any chance of seeing the "city scape" is if it was displaying the map when you turned the car off and it is trying to boot back directly into the navigation map screen.

Even then, you don't get it everytime - just when it needs a few extra seconds to boot to the Map screen.

Mike
This could well be right because I always have my car set to split screen with main screen as navi map and right side as entertainment details. At default that's how I'm setup.
__________________
2015 M235i Sapphire BLK/ Black; MPE/MP trim/MPE/MP splitter/MP diffuser/ LSD/6SP/TP/PP
2014 M5/CP Sapphire BLK
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #22
nytrus112
///MBajan
nytrus112's Avatar
United_States
28
Rep
203
Posts

Drives: '14 M5 SB CP; '15M235i SB
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charlotte, NC

iTrader: (0)

Ok sorry I've been slacking off here. So far this is all I got. I'm gonna put some more stuff up soon. This is the "Waiting for Navi system to load" screen. It's all animated and does this pretty shimmer effect thing.....
Attached Images
 
__________________
2015 M235i Sapphire BLK/ Black; MPE/MP trim/MPE/MP splitter/MP diffuser/ LSD/6SP/TP/PP
2014 M5/CP Sapphire BLK
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:10 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST