M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

07-18-2019, 06:35 AM   #1
M.ibreik
Palestine
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

Exclamation Help me save my M5 F10 (Blueish smoke + Excessive oil Loss)

Help me out on this please as I feel lost from hearing thousand things from visiting mechanics. Allow me to explain.

My 2014 F10 M5 Details:

mileage: 140K (KM)
Oil used: BMW 5w-30
Bone stock (no tune, no mods) NO warranty

So I had noticed at some point that when coming to complete stop at a stop light and accelerating a small Blueish smoke puff comes out of my exhaust, I honestly ignored it as on idle I didn't see nothing at all and reving the car very little smoke came out.

About a week ago I have decided to drop in catless DPs and that's when I started to freakout as now my car when fully wormed up at idle the same smoke is coming out of the exhaust and stopping at stop lights the longer I stay at the light the more smoke comes out of the exhaust when I accelerate after. Every mechanic I have visited is guessing and can't say what's the reason ( I understand that this can be caused by alot of things)

I have replaced my PCV pipe as they suggested it may be the cause. After replacing them got even worse with much more smoke coming out. Just topped up my engine oil right after I dropped my DP's and after 300KM checked my oil level in the engine and it's just above the minimum line. So for sure there is oil leak into my combustion and I'm trying to determine whether it's Turbo, Valve Seals or piston rings.

Here is what I saw when I changed my Charge pipes and took a look into the turbos (charge pipe to intercooler area) and below is a picture of what it looks like. Some people saw it and told me it's normal other said for sure it's the issue please help my any suggestions even small ones would be very appreciated

What's driving my crazy that the performance of the car hasn't dropped at all no rough idle, no power loss or any weird noise
In the photos attached below please ignore the coolant build up around the turbo intake as the turbo coolant pipes have been replaced and it just dripped around it
Attached Images

Last edited by M.ibreik; 07-19-2019 at 01:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 07:13 AM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

May be the valve stem seals, saw a vid of them being replaced on a N63 engine with engine still in place though with lots of dismantling of ancillaries.Just to say BMW in Europe recommends 0W-30 oil in these now and 5W 30 grade is not.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2019, 09:41 AM   #3
arucano
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Grand Coupe CP

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 GC  [10.00]
Those symptoms are mainly indicative of valve seals leaking or oil carry over from the crank case ventilation. The 5W-30 does not cause that problem.
Good luck
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 01:44 AM   #4
M.ibreik
Palestine
Rep

I also suspected that it's valve stems and seals however, at cold start I have no smoke whatsoever and that what made me have some doubts especially after I saw the picture I have attached inside the turbo from the charge pipe side. But what's is making me lean towards the valves is that the smoke is continuous after the car full warms up till I turn it of. I will have a compression test done on it very soon and this is the next step but I really don't think that I have any issues with the Pistons at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 01:16 PM   #5
M.ibreik
Palestine
Rep

UPDATE!

I just took a look at my new PCV pipes and noticed that there is oil leak around it which leads me to assume that my Crank case could be very pressurised and pushing oil into the charge pipes but what could lead to this?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 01:54 PM   #6
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.ibreik View Post
UPDATE!

I just took a look at my new PCV pipes and noticed that there is oil leak around it which leads me to assume that my Crank case could be very pressurised and pushing oil into the charge pipes but what could lead to this?
A pressurised crankcase is usually a sign of blowby, cylinder pressures leaking past the piston rings.

A cylinder leak down test should show if the rings are sealing but if it's not a big leak it may not be obvious. This test would not tell you if the oil scraper ring is good though.

If you don't want to spend money on a diagnosis you could fit a temporary oil catch can in the PCV system. If the smoking stops then it would be oil entering the PCV, if it continues then you would have to go a bit further.

Oil burning can be hard to diagnose without correct equipment. My advice would be to keep looking for someone who knows how to test and not guess. This is difficult though unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2019, 02:04 PM   #7
M.ibreik
Palestine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
A pressurised crankcase is usually a sign of blowby, cylinder pressures leaking past the piston rings.

A cylinder leak down test should show if the rings are sealing but if it's not a big leak it may not be obvious. This test would not tell you if the oil scraper ring is good though.

If you don't want to spend money on a diagnosis you could fit a temporary oil catch can in the PCV system. If the smoking stops then it would be oil entering the PCV, if it continues then you would have to go a bit further.

Oil burning can be hard to diagnose without correct equipment. My advice would be to keep looking for someone who knows how to test and not guess. This is difficult though unfortunately.
So you think that I have an excess blow-by due to Pistons not sealing properly this pushing not only air but oil along with it into the intake through the PCV?

Because I also tried checking the pressure of the Crank case removing the oil cap and the cap is being sucked in which makes me assume that the Crank is under tight vacuum that it's sucking the oil cap back on which makes me assume that there isn't blow by issue in the crank due to vacuum? Anyway I will try finding someone who will do proper diagnose on the engine

What do you think?
Attached Images

Last edited by M.ibreik; 07-19-2019 at 03:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 03:10 AM   #8
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

Quote:
So you think that I have an excess blow-by due to Pistons not sealing properly this pushing not only air but oil along with it into the intake through the PCV?

Because I also tried checking the pressure of the Crank case removing the oil cap and the cap is being sucked in which makes me assume that the Crank is under tight vacuum that it's sucking the oil cap back on which makes me assume that there isn't blow by issue in the crank due to vacuum? Anyway I will try finding someone who will do proper diagnose on the engine

What do you think?
If you had blowby you would not normally expect to get a vacuum in the crankcase. Chances are you have a turbo issue and the oil is finding it's way back into the PCV from the turbo/turbos not from the engine to the PCV.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 05:53 AM   #9
M.ibreik
Palestine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
If you had blowby you would not normally expect to get a vacuum in the crankcase. Chances are you have a turbo issue and the oil is finding it's way back into the PCV from the turbo/turbos not from the engine to the PCV.
That's exactly what I'm thinking because I can feel my crankcase is under great vacuum and blowby is not an issue. I also suspecting my turbo see the picture of the turbo I have attached above and check if it could be leaking oil
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 06:46 AM   #10
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

You are guessing at this point, I know you want to find out ASAP what's wrong. First you need a compression and leakdown test performed. These will point you in the right direction. Start with those and go from there. GL!
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 10:15 AM   #11
M.ibreik
Palestine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireM5 View Post
You are guessing at this point, I know you want to find out ASAP what's wrong. First you need a compression and leakdown test performed. These will point you in the right direction. Start with those and go from there. GL!

True! I'm just panicking after seeing smoke at my tail pipe because I'm not used to my car not running healthy. But that's true doing both of these tests first should help. I'm just trying to read the signs my car is giving me hoping to determine the issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 09:30 AM   #12
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireM5 View Post

True! I'm just panicking after seeing smoke at my tail pipe because I'm not used to my car not running healthy. But that's true doing both of these tests first should help. I'm just trying to read the signs my car is giving me hoping to determine the issue.
I totally get it, sucks to see smoke like that. But those two tests will really get you headed in the right direction. Usually if it's rings though she will blow smoke under vacuum, like if you get up to speed and down shift the the rpms come up it will suck oil past the rings at that time and blow smoke. At idle like your describing or at a stop light it maybe turbo related. Valve seals usually leak down overnight and you will get a big puff of blue smoke on startup.
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 06:28 PM   #13
burritolover
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

I am experiencing basically the same exact symptoms on my 2014 M5 CP with 100k miles.

Let me know what the result of your compression check is.

I plan to have my independent perform an compression and leak down test also, but wont have time till late next week.

Good Luck to both of us!
Everyone I know is telling me to sell the car asap. We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 01:40 AM   #14
Gel2al2d
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '93 Toyota MR2, '14 BMW M5

Had that problem with my MR2 and it was my turbo seals, happened twice already. Yes, its a different car but basically the turbos are doing the same function whether it be v8 or 4 cylinder. if you tried everything else, get your turbos re-built.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 04:57 PM   #15
e92954
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335I

Any update on this ?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 11:53 AM   #16
E93M3ofSFL
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 F10 , 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92954 View Post
Any update on this ?
Since I live in south florida as per Troy Jeup I use race thermostat (cooler engine temp ) and 5w50 redline oil plus I heat wrap coolant lines ... all these done for longevity...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 06:06 AM   #17
kiesha2014
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 M

Update on this?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2020, 10:48 AM   #18
A3ch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 X5 M, 14 BMW M5

+1. I'm trying together as much anecdotal evidence as i can regarding the longevity of this platform so I decide if its worth keeping after warranty expires
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2020, 09:04 AM   #19
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

What was the cause of this issue and how was it resolved?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 01:57 PM   #20
AngryM5
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 Comp w/Mods

Same over here...

I'm experiencing the same smoking after warmup and at idle... I'd guess my turbos as well since no smoke on startup. BUT... haven't done a thing yet... any updates? @M.ibreik... oops.. looks like they aren't members anymore.. No tag available>>>???
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 09:02 PM   #21
satinof10m5
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 f10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryM5 View Post
I'm experiencing the same smoking after warmup and at idle... I'd guess my turbos as well since no smoke on startup. BUT... haven't done a thing yet... any updates? @M.ibreik... oops.. looks like they aren't members anymore.. No tag available>>>???
Seems like a common problem. I have had the same issue. Once I pull car out of storage I'm going to try a can of seafoam and change oil to liquid molly 5-40 molecular
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2021, 04:08 PM   #22
Neilb76
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 420d

Any updates this thread
Appreciate 0