M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

01-30-2020, 09:32 AM   #1
EMETREE
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05 X5 M50i

[COLOR="RED"]UPDATE:[/COLOR]I finally got my car to the shop after some crazy snow the past few days here in Colorado. It ended up being my left electric strut. It costed me $700 with parts and labor. (Not a cheap part). Thought I would let everyone know for future reference in case if it happens to anyone else!!

Hello everyone,

I bought my M5 back in august, and have Absolutely loved everything about it! Unfortunately I recently started to have an issue with my trunk.

When I go to open it, I put my hand on the trunk handle and the trunk will sometimes work and open up by itself but won't close by itself, it'll stay open and you have to pull it down yourself. There's other times where it'll unlock but you have to pull it open and close it manually. Other times it'll actually work and open/close automatically.

I do have the feature where you put your foot under the diffuser and it'll open up, but I don't use it.

It's not a big deal opening/ closing it manually for me, but would really like for everything to be functioning on the car.

Any advice would be great guys!! Thank you !
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 10:54 PM   #2
bquicksilver
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 - Alpine White CP

Was the car coded? I know trunk opening can be adjusted and I've heard it can be problematic when coded in.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 11:02 PM   #3
EMETREE
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bquicksilver View Post
Was the car coded? I know trunk opening can be adjusted and I've heard it can be problematic when coded in.
The car hasn't been coded, it started having this issue a while ago. It was nothing major but now it appears to only work manually most of the time. occasionally it'll work properly
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 04:04 AM   #4
PoolCar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10M5, 997 - 911

You say you use a lever. Where is the lever?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 08:39 AM   #5
EMETREE
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolCar View Post
You say you use a lever. Where is the lever?
Sorry I meant the trunk handle, OG post fixed!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 03:38 PM   #6
TLK
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP, '12 550i, '04 545i

Hard to diagnose. You really need to check for error codes which means you need ISTA or take it to an independent BMW shop.

It could be that the buttons are noisy or the comfort opening (foot waving) sensor is bad and the motors shut down, could be the motors themselves, or the controller. Can't really tell without ISTA.

Only the outside handle is cheap enough to just buy and try, the other parts cost too much to buy without knowing exactly what is wrong.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 03:43 PM   #7
EMETREE
Lieutenant
Rep

Blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLK View Post
Hard to diagnose. You really need to check for error codes which means you need ISTA or take it to an independent BMW shop.

It could be that the buttons are noisy or the comfort opening (foot waving) sensor is bad and the motors shut down, could be the motors themselves, or the controller. Can't really tell without ISTA.

Only the outside handle is cheap enough to just buy and try, the other parts cost too much to buy without knowing exactly what is wrong.
I definitely agree with you, I scheduled in the car to get it checked out next Friday, hopefully nothing too bad
Appreciate 0