M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-05-2023, 09:43 AM   #1167
Patton250
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW X3,M5,Turbo S

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
It may be or not but times are changing and more people are making life style choices dependent on third world matters.
I know of nobody doing that. The very people that claim they care the most about these Third World people are the ones who are still flying private jets everywhere
Appreciate 3
Cos270608.50
Efthreeoh16946.00
KRS_SN13103.00
      02-05-2023, 10:46 AM   #1168
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post

How can people say the model 3 is ugly,
THe same way people say this about an F50 :

Quote:
that shit looks like a pile of shit.
It seems people think what they think, and like what they like.

I think both cars are ugly, but if I had to choose, I'd favor the F50.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      02-05-2023, 11:17 AM   #1169
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
These wheels matched to a black colored body does really look good. I like black cars (all the cars and trucks in my fleet are black) because it hides some lines on the body that don't translate well in contrasting colors but still provides an overall silhouette of the body shape. I think the Model 3 has an overall great shape, it's just the up turned front surface with the drooping curve that takes away from an overall good design. I just think a proper grille would help the font end.

From my recent personal experience buying a Bronco, I do not particularly like the lower corners of the grille. It's a trapezoid body cut I don't think it fits in with the rest of the design and doesn't play to the theme of mimicking the original 1966 Bronco. Trying to go outside my box and not buy another black vehicle I played with several color choices, but the grille issue I just couldn't get past other than choosing black, which best hides what I see as a design error.
I love black cars, but I hate trying to keep them clean
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      02-05-2023, 11:20 AM   #1170
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
0-60 times and looks apart lets look at the bigger picture and you know about this already but it's easy close your eyes to it.
https://www.newsweek.com/2023/02/10/...t-1775172.html
Time to toss your cell phone than.... and never buy one again

But we all know that ain't happening
Appreciate 1
Efthreeoh16946.00
      02-05-2023, 12:06 PM   #1171
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post

Unless a new power pack is thought of, it's a high tech world.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2023, 12:16 PM   #1172
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton250 View Post
I know of nobody doing that. The very people that claim they care the most about these Third World people are the ones who are still flying private jets everywhere
Not in your region maybe, I've followed regions at voting time in the States and different opinions can be huge from one State to the next, the constant changes in California for instance is noticeable.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2023, 12:26 PM   #1173
kyriian
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 Black Sapphire Z4MR

Garage List
2014 BMW X5  [0.00]
2011 Scion tC  [0.00]
Quote:
beauty is in the eye of the beholder.... many people think the Porsche Cayenne is a travesty, but people buy them
It is a family SUV with a Porsche badge, most people are shallow af and it serves the purpose of taking little Timmy and little Tammy to their private preschools, so people buy them.

Travesty or not, it funds the 911s and 718s

I will return to the track, one day.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50
      02-05-2023, 12:35 PM   #1174
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

Quote:

Specious argument, cellphones are almost a requirement for daily living in the 21st century.
      02-05-2023, 12:54 PM   #1175
chad86tsi
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M760i P60 Greyblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas1836 View Post
Specious argument, cellphones are almost a requirement for daily living in the 21st century.
It also takes 30,000 to 40,000 average cell phone batteries cobalt content to equal an average EV battery cobalt content.

If all my lifetime cell phones cobalt content require a days work by a miner, how many days work of a miner will be required to outfit me with the cobalt required for a lifetime of EV usage?
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58897.50
Efthreeoh16946.00
      02-05-2023, 12:59 PM   #1176
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad86tsi View Post
It also takes 30,000 to 40,000 average cell phone batteries cobalt content to equal an average EV battery cobalt content.

If all my lifetime cell phones cobalt content require a days work by a miner, how many days work of a miner will be required to outfit me with the cobalt required for a lifetime of EV usage?
Do you think they might come up with a different technology for EV batteries? I really am ignorant on this subject so be easy on me.

I did know there was lots of environmental damage from mining materials for EV batteries. I just didn’t know if this material was the only thing they could use for the foreseeable future.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 01:50 PM   #1177
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
Well, you are obviously are in the minority on that. It’s the number one selling M3 of all time. As an outsider, I think the G 80 is incredibly beautiful from all angles. Most people I know do also. As far as Tesla goes, most people, I ask, don’t have an opinion either way only those in the fad seem to have opinions on them. I also don’t think it’s just Tesla that’s ugly. Every freaking fully electric vehicle I have seen on the market with the exception of this really awesome looking Audi are all ugly as shit. It’s almost as if they set ugly as a guideline for all electric vehicles.

Now this is a good looking EV. If I didn’t already have an M5 on its way, I might look at getting this Audi. I suspect it’s well-built also unlike Tesla.
https://www.audiusa.com/us/web/en/mo.../overview.html
I can’t tell if this was sarcastic or not? The G8X is probably the most universally agreed upon ugly cars bmw has ever built. You will rarely find any sort of review or commentary that doesn’t mention its terrible front end. Aside from those that actually own the car, I don’t think I have ever seen anyone comment they thought it was a beautiful car.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 02:00 PM   #1178
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
I can’t tell if this was sarcastic or not? The G8X is probably the most universally agreed upon ugly cars bmw has ever built. You will rarely find any sort of review or commentary that doesn’t mention its terrible front end. Aside from those that actually own the car, I don’t think I have ever seen anyone comment they thought it was a beautiful car.
Lmaooooo

I have a g80 and it’s ugly. I like the rear hips and the way it looks from the side. All other angles look like poo. The F80 is so much nicer looking but too old for me to get. At least the s58 is a beast lol
      02-05-2023, 02:02 PM   #1179
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Unless a new power pack is thought of, it's a high tech world.
Don’t worry you guys still have time.

Because 2030 is not that far away and people will be shitting bricks in 2035 when everyone is like, “I fucking can’t believe this happened. I thought EV was just a phase.”

Lmao
      02-05-2023, 02:03 PM   #1180
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Universality agreed upon??? Lol. Yeah by old hardline BMW extremist. Every G80 owner I know absolutely loves how his car looks. I’ve met probably 10. There are hundreds of guys on this forum that love it. Sales prove that people love them. Only a moron would buy a car that expensive that they think is ugly. Well not just morons. People with an extreme amount of money that they don’t give a crap. I love when people think because they feel a certain way everyone does. I guess that means since I hate the Kansas City Chiefs, everyone in the world hates them
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      02-05-2023, 02:48 PM   #1181
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Universality agreed upon??? Lol. Yeah by old hardline BMW extremist. Every G80 owner I know absolutely loves how his car looks. I’ve met probably 10. There are hundreds of guys on this forum that love it. Sales prove that people love them. Only a moron would buy a car that expensive that they think is ugly. Well not just morons. People with an extreme amount of money that they don’t give a crap. I love when people think because they feel a certain way everyone does. I guess that means since I hate the Kansas City Chiefs, everyone in the world hates them
Well, I disagree with you about almost everything, but I mostly agree with you here.

I do think the grille was made to be a statement and could have been done in a more attractive way. However, I don't think it's the travesty that everyone makes it out to be. I also learned a long time ago to withhold judgment on automotive designs for about a decade. The E85/E86 Z4, for example, was widely panned on release but the flame surfacing has aged extremely well.

Obviously, nothing in design and art is universally agreed upon. I have bought cars I thought were ugly though just because the rest of the car outweighed the looks.
Appreciate 2
      02-05-2023, 03:26 PM   #1182
x622
Forced Induction Connoisseur
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC / 23 720s

Garage List
2023 Mclaren 720s  [0.00]
2005 Honda S2000  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5MC  [0.00]
1964 Ford Mustang  [0.00]
1968 Pontiac GTO  [0.00]
Quote:
Riveting tale chap, but nobody cares. Of course the people who bought big sniffs like them, that's why they bought them. This doesn't make it look good. I personally laugh every single time I see one, and what's even worse is the damn i7's. I saw one a few days ago behind me and had to do a double take at how terrible it looked.

It looked just like this. Dukec belongs on a cross.

I will say at least it's not a refrigerator from big hero 6.

02-05-2023, 03:30 PM   #1183
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x622 View Post
Riveting tale chap, but nobody cares. Of course the people who bought big sniffs like them, that's why they bought them. This doesn't make it look good. I personally laugh every single time I see one, and what's even worse is the damn i7's. I saw one a few days ago behind me and had to do a double take at how terrible it looked.

It looked just like this. Dukec belongs on a cross.

I will say at least it's not a refrigerator from big hero 6.

OK sport.

Nobody really cares what you think either especially BMW. They laughing all the way to the bank. Sales are high and they’re bringing in new people and as far as they’re concerned, it’s worth a handful of old timers, whining like adolescent children whose parents won’t stop at the ice cream shop on the way home. So laugh away champ.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 04:07 PM   #1184
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Don’t worry you guys still have time.

Because 2030 is not that far away and people will be shitting bricks in 2035 when everyone is like, “I fucking can’t believe this happened. I thought EV was just a phase.”

Lmao
A lot can happen in seven years, with a public backlash new gas cars could still be sold after 2030 I'm hoping and the EV programme will be partially shelved because of unrealistic power demands from the National Grid.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2023, 04:15 PM   #1185
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
OK sport.

Nobody really cares what you think either especially BMW. They laughing all the way to the bank. Sales are high and they’re bringing in new people and as far as they’re concerned, it’s worth a handful of old timers, whining like adolescent children whose parents won’t stop at the ice cream shop on the way home. So laugh away champ.
you keep going back to sales numbers to justify what people like and yet you drag Teslas for being ugly yet the Model 3 out sold the 3 series by 3-1 in 2021 and the gap continues to get wider...
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      02-05-2023, 04:19 PM   #1186
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
you keep going back to sales numbers to justify what people like and yet you drag Teslas for being ugly yet the Model 3 out sold the 3 series by 3-1 in 2021 and the gap continues to get wider...
No not at all. I admit I’m in the minority when it comes to hating the looks of all Tesla’s. G80 haters here won’t admit they are in the minority. I’ve been consistent. Tesla sales have been great, people love them and I hate them. (I love Elon though). G80 sales are great, people love them and you hate them.

Simple
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 04:41 PM   #1187
gatorfast
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 718 Cayman

Quote:
No not at all. I admit I’m in the minority when it comes to hating the looks of all Tesla’s. G80 haters here won’t admit they are in the minority. I’ve been consistent. Tesla sales have been great, people love them and I hate them. (I love Elon though). G80 sales are great, people love them and you hate them.

Simple
Looks are obviously subjective, but I can promise the majority of people think the g80 looks like poo. Everyone? Of course not. But man have you not read a single review of the car or taken a spin through these message boards?

As far a sales numbers, I certainly don’t think that is the best way to judge the looks of any vehicle. Especially in the lease environment of the last 10+ years, people will get the newest model in 3 years or less no matter what. Every new model should outsell the prior one because cars are now disposable items.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2023, 04:49 PM   #1188
Patton250
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Looks are obviously subjective, but I can promise the majority of people think the g80 looks like poo. Everyone? Of course not. But man have you not read a single review of the car or taken a spin through these message boards?

As far a sales numbers, I certainly don’t think that is the best way to judge the looks of any vehicle. Especially in the lease environment of the last 10+ years, people will get the newest model in 3 years or less no matter what. Every new model should outsell the prior one because cars are now disposable items.
I have read plenty of reviews online and comments here. Both are such a microcosm of actual total numbers. My dealership says they have mad more enthusiasm about the G80 the the F80. Also way more sales guys there are ordering a G80 for personal use then the F80. BMW changed the grille. All the rest looks the same. It’s not ugly it’s just different. MOST people think uniformity is ugly. Apparently not long time BMW enthusiasts. Well times are changing. BMW obviously is looking for new blood and it’s working.
Appreciate 0