Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

03-23-2020, 04:16 AM   #1
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Battery charge

Morning

This long period locked in has got my M5 warning about battery discharge, can anyone tell me how long a ‘good run’ has to be to top the battery right up?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 05:32 AM   #2
jarjarmustdie
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i convertible le mans blue

Mine is similar as not currently being used.
Just connect a trickle charger and that will keep it topped up.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2020, 11:37 AM   #3
J11SEK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianm5 View Post
Morning

This long period locked in has got my M5 warning about battery discharge, can anyone tell me how long a ‘good run’ has to be to top the battery right up?
A good 50-100mile to charge battery sufficiently, but a trickle charge with less miles covered would also do the job
Appreciate 1
M5Rick59587.50
      03-23-2020, 04:16 PM   #4
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep

I did a quick 40m, car seemed happy.

The roads were the way the were in about 1990. Virtually no traffic or queues, just a lot of dawdlers.

Not sure how ‘recharging my m5 battery’ would fit as a need to go out after today necessity speech.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick59587.50
      03-24-2020, 09:36 AM   #5
J11SEK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 2015

Quote:
I did a quick 40m, car seemed happy.

The roads were the way the were in about 1990. Virtually no traffic or queues, just a lot of dawdlers.

Not sure how ‘recharging my m5 battery’ would fit as a need to go out after today necessity speech.
Trickle charge it, if you can't get out to stretch it's legs.......
Appreciate 1
M5Rick59587.50
      03-24-2020, 12:20 PM   #6
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

I use this if its stood for more than a week, works perfectly

https://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-MXS-5-...s%2C220&sr=8-5
Appreciate 1
M5Rick59587.50
      03-25-2020, 10:44 AM   #7
BalSingh
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E31, F20 and F10

The CTEK is the best by far on the market. I use the MXS 5.0 as above...it has the AGM charge ability (for cars with stop start).
Appreciate 1
M5Rick59587.50
      03-31-2020, 09:36 AM   #8
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep

I did a long run today after the shop. The car has stopped asking and started telling it wants the battery charged. I will get a trickle when lockdown is over but (as it was the only reason I was on the motorway) I noticed the battery only displays as charging on efficientdynamics when the car is engine braking.

Is it genuinely not charging the battery under throttle? Why would ED specifically not show this...is this just some ED to try and make me think pressing the throttle is bad and not pressing the throttle is good.

Not impressed. A battery charge remaining gauge would have been better than some ED graphical driver distraction.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 10:12 AM   #9
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I did a long run today after the shop. The car has stopped asking and started telling it wants the battery charged. I will get a trickle when lockdown is over but (as it was the only reason I was on the motorway) I noticed the battery only displays as charging on efficientdynamics when the car is engine braking.

Is it genuinely not charging the battery under throttle? Why would ED specifically not show this...is this just some ED to try and make me think pressing the throttle is bad and not pressing the throttle is good.

Not impressed. A battery charge remaining gauge would have been better than some ED graphical driver distraction.
Not sure why you dont just buy a Ctek charger and get it sorted, if the battery dies you will be in the shit. A charger is Ł69 a new battery is hundreds, if the battery is that low driving it round wont charge it sufficiently
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 10:40 AM   #10
PoolCar
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10M5, 997 - 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
Not sure why you dont just buy a Ctek charger and get it sorted, if the battery dies you will be in the shit. A charger is Ł69 a new battery is hundreds, if the battery is that low driving it round wont charge it sufficiently
+1. I have the Ctek 5.0 and it's great. I use one on the M5 and another on a garaged car.
No issues with flat batteries. Also conditions the battery too.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2020, 01:32 PM   #11
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
‘Will get a trickle charger when the lockdown is over’

I’m getting estimated times for delivery of 28 April from amazon
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 03:48 AM   #12
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
‘Will get a trickle charger when the lockdown is over’

I’m getting estimated times for delivery of 28 April from amazon
You might get one from another seller sooner but I would try if your car is calling for it

https://www.smarterchargers.co.uk/in...&product_id=53

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/ba...er-665079.html
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 07:38 AM   #13
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 GC

Hi guys I ordered this Monday, due for delivery today hopefully.

Like many others here I am getting the battery drain, dealers cant pin point the issue, had a new battery, starter motor etc, I can only out down to the tracker

https://www.halfords.com/motoring/ba...er-230278.html
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 08:50 AM   #14
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I get drain eventually but dont have a Tracker, its just good policy to have the car on charge for anything longer than a few weeks
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2020, 08:59 AM   #15
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I get drain after 4/5 days of inactivty, it doesnt take much of a voltage drop trigger an altert.

Hopefully the trickle charger will make a difference
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 01:19 PM   #16
Taheemr
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

By the way, does it matter if you opt for the lithium trickle charge over the AGM given that our cars have AGM batteries, you can perhaps sense I;ve dropped a boo boo

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 04:46 PM   #17
PoolCar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taheemr View Post
By the way, does it matter if you opt for the lithium trickle charge over the AGM given that our cars have AGM batteries, you can perhaps sense I;ve dropped a boo boo

Thanks
Check the technical blurb on your charger.
Ctek say the following:

There are many different types of car battery available today, including wet cell, calcium and Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) . Each needs to be maintained in a slightly different way, but all of them can be charged and maintained with a CTEK 24V or 12V battery charger.

For car batteries, a 12V battery charger such as the MXS 5.0 will charge and condition the battery through a series of stages. First it removes the sulphur from the internal plates, then breaks it down and mixes it back into the acid solution to give the battery a new lease of life. For trucks and other larger vehicles, CTEK’s 24V battery chargers will perform the same task.

Wet cell, calcium and AGM are all different versions of the lead-acid battery, and have their own advantages, disadvantages and maintenance requirements.

Wet cell car batteries, or flooded batteriesas they’re also known, still dominate a large part of the car battery market. The first wet cells were typically fragile glass containers with lead rods hanging from an open top. Now, developments in manufacturing techniques and safety have seen the wet cell progress to an affordable, reliable and – if recharged and maintained correctly – long lasting vehicle battery.

Calcium batteries are also a big part of the battery market and have the same generic make up of wet cell batteries, except both the positive and negative plates are replaced by calcium alloy. This means that fluid loss is about 80% lower than a normal wet cell battery and the self discharge rate is also considerably lower, so there are huge advantages to these units.

AGM – or ‘dry’ batteries – are the latest step in the evolution of lead-acid batteries. Instead of using water or a gel, an AGM uses a fibreglass separator to hold the electrolyte in place.

Gel batteries use a gelified acid. Gel batteries can withstand deep discharging and are generally used in vehicles with demanding electrical equipment, electric wheelchairs and on boats.

All of these batteries use different technologies to suit the different needs of the vehicle. But they all have one thing in common – they need to be carefully maintained to ensure they always provide the energy needed. None of them are free from self discharge so they’ll all require a charge at some point and a CTEK 24V or 12V battery charger will see to that.

Unlike many battery chargers on the market, a CTEK 24V or 12V battery charger will react only to a battery’s specific needs, so every CTEK charger will charge, condition and prolong the life of all types of car battery.

https://www.ctek.com/education/car-batteries
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 09:59 AM   #18
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep

Sorry, promise not to talk about batteries any more, I’m charged but probably not topped up......

......is this why my stop/start keeps showing a ‘system override’ (warm engine) and keeps the engine on at a stop?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2020, 02:47 PM   #19
PoolCar
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, promise not to talk about batteries any more, I’m charged but probably not topped up......

......is this why my stop/start keeps showing a ‘system override’ (warm engine) and keeps the engine on at a stop?
More than likely. Obviously, car is designed to only resort to stop/start when it has sufficient battery reserve to safely start again.
I always override stop/start as I live in an area where traffic is light and stopping the engine for a few seconds is not likely to save much and is also very stressful on battery/starter motor etc. for little or no gain.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2020, 05:53 AM   #20
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:

I have coded my stop start to be always off as I cant think its a good idea to have a turbo charged car and cutting the engine off after a spirited drive, surely you would starve the turbos of oil

Plus as mentioned the fuel saving verses the wear on the starter motor makes no sense
Appreciate 1
      04-16-2020, 02:20 PM   #21
ianm5
Private First Class
Rep

I’m probably stating the obvious here but I’ve trickle charged the car back to full....

...the stop start is back on but more surprisingly there seems to be a huge increase in power (either power or response etc), I’m talking about a 100bhp difference in feeling.

I’ve read some threads, perception of improved power seems not unheard of but there’s no specific info.

In the end I bought the charger I could get hold of during lockdown, aka a Halfords special. It’s not amazing but it’s getting the job done. Turns out everyone I know needs the thing.
Appreciate 1
OneExtra809.50
      04-17-2020, 03:22 AM   #22
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I’m probably stating the obvious here but I’ve trickle charged the car back to full....

...the stop start is back on but more surprisingly there seems to be a huge increase in power (either power or response etc), I’m talking about a 100bhp difference in feeling.

I’ve read some threads, perception of improved power seems not unheard of but there’s no specific info.

In the end I bought the charger I could get hold of during lockdown, aka a Halfords special. It’s not amazing but it’s getting the job done. Turns out everyone I know needs the thing.
I am not sure about a restoration of power but maybe you just forgot how quick it was
Appreciate 1
J11SEK268.00