M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

07-08-2016, 06:34 PM   #23
sbassi
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
2019 BMW X6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbassi View Post
So took to a dinan dealer and removed the dinan stage 2 tune for now, this is allow us to focus on one thing at a time. I have one of the older filters for the dinan cold are intakes. Dinan is sending the new cylinder style ones, dinan believes this could be the issue!

Without the dinan stage 2 I haven't had the malfunction warning yet. So is it really the intakes? Or the tune? I drove home which is 70miles from where the dinan dealer is.

The dealer did update the new firmware on the stage 2.

Let me know your guys thoughts.
Its the intake. The filter specifically. The M5 had 3 different variants when it comes to the air box. We did not know this upon the first release and the first few months we were chasing these issues and rectifying all the variants so they worked properly. They have all been resolved at this point though.

I assume you are still running around with the old filters at this point and not the tune until the new filters come in. Basically the combination of the tune and old filters throws the car over the edge of what its acceptable tolerances are. With only one or the other though its within those safe limits which is why you are not having the warning now.

Regardless, P-Tech will get that end of it all squared away for you.
So frustrated, I just went to pTech yesterday and had them put in the new filters, add the deletes in the intake, and they reinstalled the stage 2 tune.

Just now I started the car after a few drives today and now I have a the drivetrain malfunction warning.

I thought it would be just the filters but guess not. Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 01:35 PM   #24
DATM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR / F06 M6

Garage List
I am the one who sold sbassi the Dinan stage 2 tune. I feel compelled to respond as I was having similar issues with the tune. I originally had the stage 1 tune and had dtml so I upgraded to the stage 2. Dinan sent me the new stage 2 and i got the same problems. They blamed that it was my car so I just gave up. I had taken the stage 1 to the dealership multiple times and several sensors replaced and still same issues, so I did not want to keep taking the car to the dealership for the stage 2. I guess we can now conclude that 2 cars have issues with the same Dinan stage 2 tune. I hope you guys will help resolve this issue with sbassi as now we can see that multiple cars are having issues with your tune.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2016, 08:17 PM   #25
sbassi
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
2019 BMW X6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DATM3
I am the one who sold sbassi the Dinan stage 2 tune. I feel compelled to respond as I was having similar issues with the tune. I originally had the stage 1 tune and had dtml so I upgraded to the stage 2. Dinan sent me the new stage 2 and i got the same problems. They blamed that it was my car so I just gave up. I had taken the stage 1 to the dealership multiple times and several sensors replaced and still same issues, so I did not want to keep taking the car to the dealership for the stage 2. I guess we can now conclude that 2 cars have issues with the same Dinan stage 2 tune. I hope you guys will help resolve this issue with sbassi as now we can see that multiple cars are having issues with your tune.
Thanks DATM3, I really do hope dinan helps me through this process. I spoke with them earlier and seems as if there is not much they can do.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2016, 07:30 AM   #26
m6beast
Captain
Rep
Drives: stock m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbassi View Post
Thanks DATM3, I really do hope dinan helps me through this process. I spoke with them earlier and seems as if there is not much they can do.
Sorry you're going through these issues. I had a buddy of mine had stage 1 Dinan and as soon as he upgraded to stage 2 engine malfunction everytime. Once he removed his Dinan no more malfunctions. Sorry for your troubles and good luck
Appreciate 1
      07-20-2016, 01:51 PM   #27
Zmaj
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

this is terrible news. I had plans on going with stage 1 but definitely not comfortable any longer hearing this story.

You have tried running the car with intake only, no software and no issues correct?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 01:58 PM   #28
m5james
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 X5M Alpine White on Sakhir

$$Dinan_Engineering$$, any comments considering what you charge or you guys just throwing your hands up while keeping their money?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 02:53 PM   #29
sbassi
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
2019 BMW X6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zmaj
this is terrible news. I had plans on going with stage 1 but definitely not comfortable any longer hearing this story.

You have tried running the car with intake only, no software and no issues correct?
Yes, no issues as of now. I have sent in the dinan module and let's see if that is the issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 02:26 AM   #30
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5james View Post
$$Dinan_Engineering$$, any comments considering what you charge or you guys just throwing your hands up while keeping their money?
No comments. Been out of town and just came back tonight so I am unaware of the most recent developments but it sounds like warranty is supporting him as best as they can. We don't have Sbassi's money. Never have.

This is actually the 3rd owner of this unit and Dinan has no obligation to any warranty coverage as the unit is not tied to the VIN of the vehicle in question. Technically there is no warranty and we are still attempting to assist.
Appreciate 1
k3silk147.00
      07-21-2016, 07:36 AM   #31
DATM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
No comments. Been out of town and just came back tonight so I am unaware of the most recent developments but it sounds like warranty is supporting him as best as they can. We don't have Sbassi's money. Never have.

This is actually the 3rd owner of this unit and Dinan has no obligation to any warranty coverage as the unit is not tied to the VIN of the vehicle in question. Technically there is no warranty and we are still attempting to assist.
Actually, I am the original owner of the stage 2 unit (unless you only refurbish your stage 1 and stage 2 units when they are upgraded). My car was also the original car both units were attached to. I did purchase the car with the stage 1 unit attached to it. I sold the stage 2 unit 1 month after receiving it because it was still having the same problems as the stage 1 which your support continued to say that my car was the issue and not the tune. I have been running a JB4 w/bcm Map 2 since I sold the Dinan stage 1 & 2 and have not had any issues.

Last edited by DATM3; 07-21-2016 at 07:47 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 07:41 AM   #32
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

overpriced. sorry OP.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 04:33 PM   #33
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 F10 CP

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DATM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post

Actually, I am the original owner of the stage 2 unit (unless you only refurbish your stage 1 and stage 2 units when they are upgraded). My car was also the original car both units were attached to. I did purchase the car with the stage 1 unit attached to it. I sold the stage 2 unit 1 month after receiving it because it was still having the same problems as the stage 1 which your support continued to say that my car was the issue and not the tune. I have been running a JB4 w/bcm Map 2 since I sold the Dinan stage 1 & 2 and have not had any issues.
Clearly a problem here..sorry to hear about the hassles... Car should be fun and these issues shouldn't have worry anyone
      07-25-2016, 09:06 AM   #34
DATM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I'm pretty sure the guy that sold me the M6 with the Dinan Stage 1 sold the car because of the issues he was having. The car history shows that it went to the dealership several times to change out the same sensors that my dealership replaced for codes the Dinan randomly threw out. The issues were never resolved with the replacement of the sensors so I guess they never tried removing the Dinan tune. After several visits to the dealership after I purchased the car I decided to remove the Dinan tune and miraculously the issues never came back. I didn't hold anything against Dinan as they accepted for me to return the stage 1 for another one under warranty and that's when I decided to upgrade to stage 2. They sent me the stage 2 and similar issues occurred again... Random DTML's again with odd codes. They told me it was from my catted downpipes and I told them I got the DTML before I installed the downpipes and after as well.
Appreciate 2
TLK112.00
      07-26-2016, 06:57 PM   #35
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCarsFan View Post
Clearly a problem here..sorry to hear about the hassles... Car should be fun and these issues shouldn't have worry anyone

given the price, i expect ZERO issues.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2016, 02:43 AM   #36
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
given the price, i expect ZERO issues.
Which is why I run a tune. No hassles.
      07-30-2016, 06:44 AM   #37
PREDATOR 007
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5

I think everyone here including Dinan would agree that tunes and piggy backs (jb4) are leaps and bounds ahead of Dinan in terms of performance. The problem is, warranty issues with the dealer. Who wants to get into that pissing match? The people that go Dinan do it for the peace of mind that they don’t have to worry about the BMW warranty. Granted, there could be some placebo effect here because I have yet to see anyone with Dinan test their car pre and post install. They say it just “feels faster” or they notice nothing.

I was considering Dinan for the reasons above, but can’t justify it for the price. If Dinan had people glowing about this piggy back tune like the JB4, then they would be selling like hot cakes.

To the OP, if your car is out of warranty anyway, why are you fooling with this? You might as well get a flash or go JB4 for real measurable results?
Appreciate 2
      07-30-2016, 10:46 AM   #38
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PREDATOR 007 View Post
I think everyone here including Dinan would agree that tunes and piggy backs (jb4) are leaps and bounds ahead of Dinan in terms of performance. The problem is, warranty issues with the dealer. Who wants to get into that pissing match? The people that go Dinan do it for the peace of mind that they don’t have to worry about the BMW warranty. Granted, there could be some placebo effect here because I have yet to see anyone with Dinan test their car pre and post install. They say it just “feels faster” or they notice nothing.

I was considering Dinan for the reasons above, but can’t justify it for the price. If Dinan had people glowing about this piggy back tune like the JB4, then they would be selling like hot cakes.

To the OP, if your car is out of warranty anyway, why are you fooling with this? You might as well get a flash or go JB4 for real measurable results?

how crazy is that? i mean seriously.

Just fanboyism. that's all it is..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 12:15 PM   #39
sbassi
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
2019 BMW X6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by PREDATOR 007

I have been a dinan customer for years and truly believed there wouldn't be issues. They have the module still and let's see what they say
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2016, 03:56 PM   #40
MCarsFan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbassi
Quote:

I have been a dinan customer for years and truly believed there wouldn't be issues. They have the module still and let's see what they say
Honestly this is crazy. I hate to think how many hours you've been put through dealing with your car having issues. If anything this thread has shown me once again another car with issues from fitting a dinantronics system.
      07-30-2016, 06:54 PM   #41
DATM3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I actually think the Dinan tune smoothed the power curve out on the S63tu. It had a very nice linear feel with no turbo lag feel compared to the Jb4. Its unfortunate with the problems it has though.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 09:49 AM   #42
Lerxst M4
Command Sergeant Major of the Army
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by PREDATOR 007 View Post

Hmmm...I gained 99 whp with Dinan stage 2 and MSR intakes on the same dyno, same operator, similar weather conditions. Butt dyno confirmed as well.

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1173328

http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1190198
2008 E90 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2016, 09:50 AM   #43
Lerxst M4
Command Sergeant Major of the Army
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
how crazy is that? i mean seriously.

Just fanboyism. that's all it is..
Read my post above. What tune do you have on your M5?
2008 E90 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2016, 11:05 PM   #44
sbassi
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
2019 BMW X6  [0.00]
Joe with dinan warranty has been helping me with this situation. I just received a (new) replacement module for the one I had sent back for dinan to test. During the test process Joe said the module I sent back was giving some dirty signals, whatever that means! So I just installed the new stage 2 tune, mind you the harness is the same one I had.

I took it for a test drive and love the feeling, I just hope it stays this way and I don't get the dreaded DTML.

I will keep everyone posted.
Appreciate 0