M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-06-2019, 08:45 PM   #1
GiddyAssassin
Private
51
Rep
99
Posts

Drives: '14 BMW M5 CP
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW M5 CP  [5.00]
If you are looking for the perfect phone mount look no further

I just picked up my 2015 M5 CP last week and started looking for a phone mount solution that wasn't an awful. I was so sick of all the stupid suction cup mounted stuff on your dash or things that block 90% of your air vent.

If you have an F10 and are looking for the perfect phone mount look no further. Go to Rennline, Pelican Parts, ECS, whoever does it for you, and buy this. Hurry, go now. Fitment was perfect, install took 60s. I couldn't be happier. My iPhone X is very stable with no concern about it shaking lose on bumps. You're welcome. That is all.


http://www.rennline.com/ExactFit-Mag...tinfo/PM01.17/
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2019, 01:15 PM   #2
lotus49
Private
England
3
Rep
52
Posts

Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Yorkshire

iTrader: (0)

Something like that would be useful but I need one with a cradle as I don't use a case so a magnetic mount won't help me. I'll have to keep looking.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 01:33 PM   #3
GiddyAssassin
Private
51
Rep
99
Posts

Drives: '14 BMW M5 CP
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW M5 CP  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus49 View Post
Something like that would be useful but I need one with a cradle as I don't use a case so a magnetic mount won't help me. I'll have to keep looking.
I see you like to live on the edge without a phone case. Yeah this wouldn't be for you then. Unless you just bought a cheap one to slide it into just for the car, but that might just defeat the purpose. My #1 gripe about a magnet in your case is that I have to slide it off at night to set it on the wireless charger.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 10:24 AM   #4
Chesie
Enlisted Member
Chesie's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
43
Posts

Drives: 2019 M6GC 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiddyAssassin View Post
I see you like to live on the edge without a phone case. Yeah this wouldn't be for you then. Unless you just bought a cheap one to slide it into just for the car, but that might just defeat the purpose. My #1 gripe about a magnet in your case is that I have to slide it off at night to set it on the wireless charger.
Pitaka makes a nice carbon fiber case that has a built-in magnet. It does not interfere with wireless charging. In fact, they make a wireless charging magnetic mount for cars, that installs in either the CD slot or an air vent. The quality is excellent. Attached is a picture of the mount in my M6. With the CD slot mount and my iphone xs, it is very sturdy.

www.ipitaka.com

Regards,
Danny
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2019, 10:51 AM   #5
Chesie
Enlisted Member
Chesie's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
43
Posts

Drives: 2019 M6GC 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [0.00]
After looking at the mount in the OP, I decided to see if I could slide the CD mount in the crevice lateral to the AC control module. I think it is even cleaner now. Winning.
Attached Images
 

Last edited by Chesie; 05-13-2019 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2019, 02:44 PM   #6
GiddyAssassin
Private
51
Rep
99
Posts

Drives: '14 BMW M5 CP
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW M5 CP  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesie View Post
Pitaka makes a nice carbon fiber case that has a built-in magnet. It does not interfere with wireless charging. In fact, they make a wireless charging magnetic mount for cars, that installs in either the CD slot or an air vent. The quality is excellent. Attached is a picture of the mount in my M6. With the CD slot mount and my iphone xs, it is very sturdy.

www.ipitaka.com

Regards,
Danny
Nice. Thanks for the tip. I will definitely pick up one of those cases.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #7
induc916
Private First Class
53
Rep
175
Posts

Drives: 2014 M6
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

I have this one and love it - https://www.quadlockcase.com/collections/shop-drive
__________________
14 M6 Sakhir Coupe | Pure S1 | JB4 | Meth | Fabworx DP | 4mm bored throttle bodies | SSP-R | Billet Diff Mount | DSS Axles | Rkautowerks carbon charge pipes | CSF Intercoolers |Akro exhaust | Gapped Plugs | project-gamma intakes | DME Stage 3+ Custom | 749whp/789wtq
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 10:34 PM   #8
BeachM5nster
First Lieutenant
BeachM5nster's Avatar
United_States
131
Rep
312
Posts

Drives: '14 M5
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Southeast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiddyAssassin View Post
I just picked up my 2015 M5 CP last week and started looking for a phone mount solution that wasn't an awful. I was so sick of all the stupid suction cup mounted stuff on your dash or things that block 90% of your air vent.

If you have an F10 and are looking for the perfect phone mount look no further. Go to Rennline, Pelican Parts, ECS, whoever does it for you, and buy this. Hurry, go now. Fitment was perfect, install took 60s. I couldn't be happier. My iPhone X is very stable with no concern about it shaking lose on bumps. You're welcome. That is all.


http://www.rennline.com/ExactFit-Mag...tinfo/PM01.17/
i agree completely. i hate the windshield mounts. air vent mounts will just break your vent slats. dash/cluster mounts get in the way and always leaves a mark or indentation somewhere.

i prefer the seat bolt mount cradle as its out of the way, sturdy, adjustable and isnt breaking or scarring anything.

https://www.amazon.com/d/Cell-Phone-...ail/B00EHQMZ6K
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 01:32 AM   #9
roscopeeco
Private
15
Rep
60
Posts

Drives: 2016 BMW M5
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Green Bay, WI

iTrader: (0)

Can anyone help me. I have an iphone X and puchased the pro case with the wireless charger. I also purchased the adapter from their site that you place in the 12V "lighter". It came with a wire in the package. Anyhow, after plugging everything up, I get nothing when placing the phone on the charger. I used my own wire with the 12V adapter that I purchased from Pitaka and plugged in my phone. I was able to charge, so it isn't the adapter. What am I missing?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 09:46 AM   #10
Chesie
Enlisted Member
Chesie's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
43
Posts

Drives: 2019 M6GC 6MT
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: NW Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2019 BMW M6  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roscopeeco View Post
Can anyone help me. I have an iphone X and puchased the pro case with the wireless charger. I also purchased the adapter from their site that you place in the 12V "lighter". It came with a wire in the package. Anyhow, after plugging everything up, I get nothing when placing the phone on the charger. I used my own wire with the 12V adapter that I purchased from Pitaka and plugged in my phone. I was able to charge, so it isn't the adapter. What am I missing?
The setup I have is mag case with magmount qi wireless charger. When I purchased mine, I also purchased the dual port car charger, along with a USB-C cable, because the dude at Pitaka said that combination charges the phone faster than using the cable that comes with the mag-mount. In practice, I have found this to be the case, and my phone charges just as fast as the Anker wireless charger at my bedside (both rated quick-charge 3.0/power-delivery 2.0).

My question for you, for troubleshooting purposes, is this: when you plug your magmount qi into your 12v adapter, does the "pitaka" sign on the mount light up, and do you hear the soft whirr of the air-dissipating fan on the back of the mount?

IF you see/hear those things, then you are getting enough power to the charger. If so, does your case magnet "grab" the magnet on the mount? If it does, then it is lining up properly. The final question would be, does your magcase pro work on other wireless chargers? If all of those things are true, then you may just have a bum charger, which sucks. I have used Pitaka for a few years and found their customer service to be top-notch, and their shipping stupid fast, considering their location. The stuff I have ordered almost always arrived within 72h of placing the order.

If the pitaka sign doesn't light up, or you don't hear the fan, then the cable you are using, or the 12v adapter, is no bueno. Try plugging it into one of your 12-18W power cables in your house, and see if it works then. If it does, then you just aren't getting enough juice with the cable you have. You don't have to order one from Pitaka; they sell similar products at Best Buy.

Good luck!

Danny
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 PM.




m5post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST