Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

06-05-2020, 09:32 AM   #1
Juliana19
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Race Chip GTS Black

Hi all,

New to the forum but had my F10 M5 for about 7/8 months. It's a late 2016 model (non competition) with a mere 7k miles from new (I bought it only had 4k miles and was and still is basically in brand new condition)

I've gotten use to the M5's power now and have the itch to improve performance via some form of stage 1 remap but having lurked around on the forums all I can see is issues of engine problems with hugely expensive repair bills! I have an extended BMW warranty and understand catastrophic engine failure is likely to entail detailed investigation by BMW HQ and uncover any remap and void my warranty (although I have seen or heard any actual evidence of this happening in the UK!)

Having talked myself out of the options I've been looking at (Evolve or BM3), I have come across Race Chip which claim to offer engine warranty (upto £8000) and highly configurable maps via a phone, does anyone have any experience using this or claiming on the warranty (it all seems too good to be true) - BHP increases seem in line with other stage 1 maps.

Link to website below

https://www.racechip.us/shop/bmw/m5-...-369lb-ft.html

Just to note - I do warm the car up and cool it down and am generally mechanically sympathetic in how its treated but this car does also get used for light track use on occasion (probably 2/3 times per year) so will be ran 'relatively' hot which has added an extra level of caution into my thinking of mapping.

Thoughts would be very welcome
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 11:04 AM   #2
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Any tuning box will still be visible to BMW even after its been removed and the results are not great or as stable as a proper map.

My advise is if you want to tune the car then get a proper ECU remap and not a tuning box.

Watch the below video

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2020, 03:33 PM   #3
Juliana19
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Thanks - very informative video.

You use OpenFlash right? Do you still have a BMW warranty or going without?
Appreciate 0