M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

02-13-2022, 06:58 PM   #1
asenduy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Apple CarPlay Unit

Hi everyone. I'm trying to find the best option to chose based on my Idrive. Vin is WBSFV9C56ED097429 2014 M5 comp.
What options should I chose in the head unit?
Definitely want touch screen, wireless Apple CarPlay, wireless rear camera because the current one is outdated and am/fm controls.
Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 07:41 PM   #2
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 _ San Marino Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by asenduy View Post
Hi everyone. I'm trying to find the best option to chose based on my Idrive. Vin is WBSFV9C56ED097429 2014 M5 comp.
Definitely want touch screen, wireless Apple CarPlay, wireless rear camera because the current one is outdated and am/fm controls.
Thanks for the help!
Most of those options come standard. What you should look at is purchasing the latest Android version, which i believe is Android 11. This will enable you to have multiple connections and have an easier time with the wireless carplay and Bluetooth.

I chose the Android 10 unit, and this limits the connections to everything going through the head unit. So its hard to pair your phone to the OEM Bluetooth for calls, and the android head units built in microphones are horrible quality.

As for the rear cam and FM. Most units retain your OEM cameras and FM controls, so you will have to switch back to the OEM interface to access the radio for instance, unless you download a radio App on the Android interface. For the cameras, the unit just switch to your OEM camera view, there's nothing fancy or new about it. Good Luck
Appreciate 1
asenduy10.00
      02-15-2022, 10:27 AM   #3
asenduy
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben356 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by asenduy View Post
Thanks for the help!
Most of those options come standard. What you should look at is purchasing the latest Android version, which i believe is Android 11. This will enable you to have multiple connections and have an easier time with the wireless carplay and Bluetooth.

I chose the Android 10 unit, and this limits the connections to everything going through the head unit. So its hard to pair your phone to the OEM Bluetooth for calls, and the android head units built in microphones are horrible quality.

As for the rear cam and FM. Most units retain your OEM cameras and FM controls, so you will have to switch back to the OEM interface to access the radio for instance, unless you download a radio App on the Android interface. For the cameras, the unit just switch to your OEM camera view, there's nothing fancy or new about it. Good Luck
Which unit should I buy?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2022, 01:26 PM   #4
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben356 View Post

I had the same issue, however you can pair the phone with your car as well and seems to work ok. I think there are few times where I have to go to my phone and pick car bluetooth and not the android MMI.

It is compromise. Other option is to replace the android phone. I have somewhere link to replacement mic from digikey that you can swap. Few people have done it.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 12:35 PM   #5
Cloudsurfer355
Patrick
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

New here with a 2013 F10 F5. Have NBT EVO ID4 in my car.

Looking to retrofit to ID6 to gain native CarPlay functionality.

I see a few online sources offering to do this for ~$2500, but it seems to me that one should be able to find the components for less than $2500.....

I do understand that coding is required.

Thoughts/ opinions?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2022, 08:53 PM   #6
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudsurfer355 View Post

I see a few online sources offering to do this for ~$2500, but it seems to me that one should be able to find the components for less than $2500.....

Thoughts/ opinions?
You have just NBT you can check ebay there are few kits for sale, that included retrofitted G11 touch screen that fits.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 11:20 AM   #7
Cloudsurfer355
Patrick
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
You have just NBT you can check ebay there are few kits for sale, that included retrofitted G11 touch screen that fits.
When I throw my VIN into Bimmer-Tech.net I get the following:

Selected version is the right version for your BMW
Models: F10/F01 (5/7 Series)
Head unit: NBT / NBTEVO ID4

Is this not accurate?

Either way, my point remains that I'd like to get OEM CarPlay and do it for less than the $2300 Bimmer-tech would like
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 12:37 PM   #8
Cloudsurfer355
Patrick
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Chit chatting with "Navi and BMW Parts" .... apparently this is just EVO ....

Either way, looks like no problem to swap all this out for ID6 with a touch screen... just $$$$ right
Appreciate 1
      02-28-2022, 01:06 PM   #9
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Chit chatting with "Navi and BMW Parts" .... apparently this is just EVO ....

Either way, looks like no problem to swap all this out for ID6 with a touch screen... just $$$$ right
yeah, those are the guys that sell on eBay. Few forum members used their upgrade kit. Price went up since the C19 hit. You have to be careful when you bring the car to the dealer or when you do SW update as the unit will be flashed based on your VIN. If you aren't under warranty and you are being proactive when your car is serviced you should fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 05:42 AM   #10
Brownbandit
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 Jeep GC Nissan 300zx

Quote:
Quote:

Is this not accurate?

Either way, my point remains that I'd like to get OEM CarPlay and do it for less than the $2300 Bimmer-tech would like
Quote:
Quote:

Is this not accurate?

Im in this same boat. Looking at the MMI add-on instead of the full retrofit. Did you decide on anything?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 08:16 PM   #11
sdrawkcaB
Follow the rabbit. 🐇
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

I bought an ID6 retrofit kit on eBay that utilizes authentic BMW parts from the newer G series chassis. There is a cheaper kit if you don't want to have the touchscreen. I chose the touchscreen as I wanted to be able to interact natively with CarPlay apps on my iPhone. The seller is out of Europe, and was a pleasure to work with. He precoded the unit to work with my vehicle. For a few extra bucks, I even got a head unit that still supports the Sirius XM used here in North America, as opposed to the European head units which won't retain Sirius XM compatibility here. If you don't use Sirius XM radio, then it's a nonissue and you can save a few extra bucks.

It was pretty easy to open up the dash and install the screen, iDrive touch controller, and ID6 NAV radio unit. It took me about 45 minutes to do all of it, and it worked just fine the first time I powered it up. He coded it correctly and I didn't have any errors. Just remember you'll have to repair your bluetooth connections on your devices again (specifically delete them off your mobile phone and then re-add them), and then you'll be good to go. My phone asked me if I wanted to use the wireless carplay feature with my car, or just bluetooth. I started using CarPlay and I'm super happy with it. To me, it was worth the money because I wanted a natural CarPlay experience, and didn't want to rely on one of the unreliable Android units that get bricked easily and leave you left without ongoing security updates due to the no name Chinese vendors not supporting it after the sale.

Anyways, here's the link for the retrofit kit I bought that had the touchscreen, ID6 NAVI head unit, and controller touchpad:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313634713038

If you're not sure what to buy or what you need, message him on eBay and just tell him what you're wanting to accomplish - which features you want, and he should be able to help guide you to the right kit on his eBay page.

I'm not affiliated with him in any way. I'm just a happy customer. I've been eyeing this retrofit for a few years and was just barely able to find the time and money to get it and install it.
      03-24-2022, 06:45 PM   #12
Cloudsurfer355
Patrick
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdrawkcaB View Post
I bought an ID6 retrofit kit on eBay that utilizes authentic BMW parts from the newer G series chassis. There is a cheaper kit if you don't want to have the touchscreen. I chose the touchscreen as I wanted to be able to interact natively with CarPlay apps on my iPhone. The seller is out of Europe, and was a pleasure to work with. He precoded the unit to work with my vehicle. For a few extra bucks, I even got a head unit that still supports the Sirius XM used here in North America, as opposed to the European head units which won't retain Sirius XM compatibility here. If you don't use Sirius XM radio, then it's a nonissue and you can save a few extra bucks.

It was pretty easy to open up the dash and install the screen, iDrive touch controller, and ID6 NAV radio unit. It took me about 45 minutes to do all of it, and it worked just fine the first time I powered it up. He coded it correctly and I didn't have any errors. Just remember you'll have to repair your bluetooth connections on your devices again (specifically delete them off your mobile phone and then re-add them), and then you'll be good to go. My phone asked me if I wanted to use the wireless carplay feature with my car, or just bluetooth. I started using CarPlay and I'm super happy with it. To me, it was worth the money because I wanted a natural CarPlay experience, and didn't want to rely on one of the unreliable Android units that get bricked easily and leave you left without ongoing security updates due to the no name Chinese vendors not supporting it after the sale.

Anyways, here's the link for the retrofit kit I bought that had the touchscreen, ID6 NAVI head unit, and controller touchpad:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/313634713038

If you're not sure what to buy or what you need, message him on eBay and just tell him what you're wanting to accomplish - which features you want, and he should be able to help guide you to the right kit on his eBay page.

I'm not affiliated with him in any way. I'm just a happy customer. I've been eyeing this retrofit for a few years and was just barely able to find the time and money to get it and install it.

I was sold already, but now I'm really sold
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2022, 07:29 PM   #13
Cloudsurfer355
Patrick
United_States
Rep

Well, Mr. Navi is preparing my goody bag for me as we speak, so maybe next week I'll have this working in my M5
Appreciate 2
      03-31-2022, 09:13 PM   #14
sdrawkcaB
Follow the rabbit. 🐇
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

Quote:
Well, Mr. Navi is preparing my goody bag for me as we speak, so maybe next week I'll have this working in my M5
I'm sure you'll be happy with it. Did you order the retrofitted touchscreen with yours?
      04-08-2022, 12:29 AM   #15
geno750
Rep
Drives: 335i x drive, X3MC

Garage List
2020 X3M Competition  [0.00]
2014 M5  [0.00]
2013 335i x-drive  [0.00]
Has anyone who went with a Idrive6 retrofit managed to also swap to a 4g sim module?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2022, 12:19 AM   #16
SCD-1983
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 Frozen Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by geno750 View Post
Has anyone who went with a Idrive6 retrofit managed to also swap to a 4g sim module?
Yes, it can be done. You need to replace the TCB with a ATM and solder in a 4G eSim. It's a tidious and extremely demanding job, because the eSIM circuit board is sensitive. Then you need to run wires from the trunk all the way to the OABR connector, since that's the communication line now. I haven't done it myself yet, but a friend performed the ID6 upgrade with full 4G capabilities. Furthermore, you will need matching parts from the same donor car. I'm not using remote services and RTTI, so I'm
satisfied with the ID6 upgrade by itself
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2022, 12:52 PM   #17
geno750
Rep
Drives: 335i x drive, X3MC

Garage List
2020 X3M Competition  [0.00]
2014 M5  [0.00]
2013 335i x-drive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCD-1983 View Post
Yes, it can be done. You need to replace the TCB with a ATM and solder in a 4G eSim. It's a tidious and extremely demanding job, because the eSIM circuit board is sensitive. Then you need to run wires from the trunk all the way to the OABR connector, since that's the communication line now. I haven't done it myself yet, but a friend performed the ID6 upgrade with full 4G capabilities. Furthermore, you will need matching parts from the same donor car. I'm not using remote services and RTTI, so I'm
If I was using an iPhone it would probably be less of an issue, as it sits, without AA I have gotten used to the RTTI shown in the X3M.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 11:38 AM   #18
MarcF10
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCD-1983 View Post
yes I have done it and upgraded to a fully functional ID6 system with remote services etc

however it cost a lot of money and honestly it is not worth the cost nor the effort

if i would do it again, i would go with the android units everybody uses to upgrade their CIC or NBT systems, installation is straight forward for an engineer and you get the functionality you need..

i am not sure if BMW connected drive is important for our cars
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2023, 09:22 PM   #19
Egoy936
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bmw 535

Quote:

Thoughts/ opinions?

I offer NBT evo head units for $1000 precoded
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2023, 12:27 AM   #20
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egoy936 View Post
I offer NBT evo head units for $1000 precoded
is that for just head unit and nothing else?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2023, 05:54 AM   #21
mileswalker168
mileswalker168
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Series

Apple CarPlay Stereo Recommendation

Here are three latest carplay stereo list article I have found, you can check them:

caraudiowise.com/best-wireless-apple-carplay-stereo

caraudiowise.com/best-apple-carplay-stereo

identifyradio.com/best-apple-carplay-stereo

I hope these article might help you to find right radio for your car.
Appreciate 0