BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

09-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
black993s
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 - Black Sapphire

Tow Hook License Plate

Got popped for no front plate in San Francisco recently. Just installed the US Mill Works kit. Quick. Clean. Sturdy.

Will remove after getting it signed off but reinstall for trips to SF, etc.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 09:26 PM   #2
Bmill4
Rep
Drives: M5/X6/X3

I also have the US Mill Works kit. The quality is very high, surprisingly high.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 10:02 PM   #3
Fantasm
Lieutenant
Algeria
Rep
Drives: SL63

Looks like I will get a US Mills Works if I ever decide to put on a front plate
      09-03-2014, 01:00 AM   #4
drewmisha
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 x5 4.8 ;2014 CP m5; 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by black993s
Got popped for no front plate in San Francisco recently. Just installed the US Mill Works kit. Quick. Clean. Sturdy.

Will remove after getting it signed off but reinstall for trips to SF, etc.
Cushman ticket while parked or pulled over by police ticket?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #5
black993s
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewmisha View Post
Cushman ticket while parked or pulled over by police ticket?
Was parked in front of Pier 28 on the Embarcadero. Must have been a meter maid.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 10:07 AM   #6
DesertEagle50
Admiral General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5 FB

Garage List
2013 BMW M5 F10  [10.00]
2010 BMW M3 E92  [10.00]
Forget the license plate. Nice brakes!
      09-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #7
black993s
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertEagle50 View Post
Forget the license plate. Nice brakes!
Hahaha. Yeah. The CCB's do look good. Work great on the track too.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 10:52 AM   #8
Schnell_1
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F13

The idea of a metermaid possessing the authority to submit fix-it tickets is very disconcerting to me... Are they a conduit for the Sherriff's office? What about window tint, broken taillights, etc?

Traffic tickets are just another tax that I reluctantly and begrudgingly pay in order to drive and maintain my car to my preferences. I recently received a front license plate ticket as well, and I'll be going to court with an attorney to fight it. I'm going to argue that the manufacturer didn't allow a proper place for installation, and that drilling into my modifying my bumper will hinder resale value. Flimsy, sophomoric, spiteful?... Yes, but I want to get my $200 worth out of the judicial system, and also send a messahe to my local PD that I'm not an easy $200 everytime they see me.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 03:03 PM   #9
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Nice! I have the same on my car. Contemplating running plate-less, though, living in DTLA I'd be ticketed pretty quick
      09-03-2014, 03:05 PM   #10
VMRWheels
General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnell_1 View Post
manufacturer didn't allow a proper place for installation, and that drilling into my modifying my bumper will hinder resale value.
^^ Hmm, interesting point. Would like to hear their response.
      09-03-2014, 04:44 PM   #11
Schnell_1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
^^ Hmm, interesting point. Would like to hear their response.
Court date is set for later this year - I'll keep you posted. California municipalities certainly need the money, and I don't expect the judge to have sympathy for an M6 owner, but you never know...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 06:32 PM   #12
black993s
Enlisted Member
Rep

Meter maids are militant in Palo Alto too. Had a different car nosed into a wall surrounded by other cars inside a parking garage. Came back to a no front plate ticket. WTF? Waste of time getting these signed off.

Good luck in court. Can't wait to hear the outcome.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #13
NlckyBlack
Captain
Greece
Rep
Drives: Too many cars

Quote:
The idea of a metermaid possessing the authority to submit fix-it tickets is very disconcerting to me... Are they a conduit for the Sherriff's office? What about window tint, broken taillights, etc?

Traffic tickets are just another tax that I reluctantly and begrudgingly pay in order to drive and maintain my car to my preferences. I recently received a front license plate ticket as well, and I'll be going to court with an attorney to fight it. I'm going to argue that the manufacturer didn't allow a proper place for installation, and that drilling into my modifying my bumper will hinder resale value. Flimsy, sophomoric, spiteful?... Yes, but I want to get my $200 worth out of the judicial system, and also send a messahe to my local PD that I'm not an easy $200 everytime they see me.
How will it hinder resale value? You should provide some explanations and proof.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 08:22 AM   #14
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Quote:

You may have a hard argument to make that the manufacturer didn't allow a proper place for installation when there are literally thousands of F10 5 series cars out there with plates mounted to the bumper using a BMW provided bracket.

And I can only imagine the judge's reaction to your argument that you should not have to drill into your precious bumper to comply with state law. You won't look too much like a spoiled brat with a major sense of entitlement.

Now if you are doing this just to make your point and get some entertainment value out of the fine you have to pay, I guess that is your right. Personally, I have better uses for my time and money and feel no need to clog the court with my personal shenanigans.

If if you think this will deter the PD from ticketing you, I think you may be surprised. I suspect it might just have the exact opposite effect. You should be ready to mount that plate or enjoy a constant stream of tickets.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 09:45 AM   #15
Schnell_1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5 View Post
You may have a hard argument to make that the manufacturer didn't allow a proper place for installation when there are literally thousands of F10 5 series cars out there with plates mounted to the bumper using a BMW provided bracket.
I'm just sick of the handouts so I hired a sleuth traffic attorney that has a 70% win rate. You seem like an educated person, thus you can deduce that if I hand over four tickets, i will only have to pay one (approximately). I'm really unsure if my lawyer will use my defense...

Quote:
And I can only imagine the judge's reaction to your argument that you should not have to drill into your precious bumper to comply with state law. You won't look too much like a spoiled brat with a major sense of entitlement.
Me too, but I'm counting on the fact the judge will be a bimmerpost member.

Quote:
Now if you are doing this just to make your point and get some entertainment value out of the fine you have to pay, I guess that is your right. Personally, I have better uses for my time and money and feel no need to clog the court with my personal shenanigans.
personal time and shenanigans? I'll strongly presuppose you have never been to court and thus possess legal myopia, because if you have you would understand that lawyers represent clients via proxy. Moreover, I recommend you educate yourself on traffic ticket quotas and the subsequent over-proliferation of infractions. Why do you think my attorney has 70% of her tickets dismissed? Furthermore, you are assuming I am guilty, which is fine, but just some food for thought: if the reason I was pulled-over was unjust, then my consequent fix-it ticket was unjust as well. What we have here is a legal technicality - God Bless America.

Clog the court? I pay enough taxes to carve-out more than a little court time. Save the sanctimony for the ambulance chasers, divorce lawyers, and public trials. The constitution affords me the right to defend myself at trial, and I will do so.

Quote:
If if you think this will deter the PD from ticketing you, I think you may be surprised. I suspect it might just have the exact opposite effect. You should be ready to mount that plate or enjoy a constant stream of tickets.
I like to fight fire with fire. I'm ready for whatever

Even though they are undertoned in condescension, sanctimony, and sarcasm, I understand your points. Perhaps you can deviate from your comfortable paradigm to undertake a little empathy for mine.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 10:10 AM   #16
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

Well, as a lawyer, I am fairly familiar with the court system. And I did not assume you were guilty. You admitted it freely. You are just looking for a loophole not to pay the consequence of your decision not to abide by the leagl requirement.

Just because your lawyer has a 70% success rate, that does not mean that she will get you off 3 out of 4 times -particlularly on a cut and dry violation. And if you think your creative argument has a 70% chance of success, then I am just simply speechless. I also wonder why you put ambulance chasers and divorce lawyers higher up on the food chain than a traffic lawyer.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 10:13 AM   #17
Schnell_1
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well, as a lawyer, I am fairly familiar with the court system.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 01:46 PM   #18
VMRWheels
General
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Quote:
Court date is set for later this year - I'll keep you posted. California municipalities certainly need the money, and I don't expect the judge to have sympathy for an M6 owner, but you never know...
If you're successful, even in the slightest, this may really come in handy. Best of luck to you!
      03-21-2023, 11:09 AM   #19
cloverfield
German car enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, Alfa Giulia QV

I feel guilty about bumping a nine year old thread but just wanted to chime in here - I tried the US Mill Works front tow hook plate kit and it wouldn't stay in place.

The end of the receiver cannot be tightened with a socket and their instructions were to incrementally tighten the connection using the plate as leverage, which still didn't work for me.

I bought the Cravenspeed Platypus mount instead, which does have the ability to be tightened by a socket for a snug fit. I would recommend this over the other options if you live in an area where a front plate is needed/required.
Appreciate 0