M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > M5 versus...

07-02-2017, 11:07 AM   #1
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M8 Competition Coupe

Chris Harris drives the new E63S- Video inside

I think he likes it LOL.... the car, based on his comments (which I respect), appears to be everything and even more. I did hear a comparison of the exhaust with a C63S wagon and I agree, its a bit tame. But the rest of the car is going to be awesome. AMG has gone a bit strong on its dampers and he commented as well. In my C63S and GTS; the cars are borderline painful at times even on better paved roads.

Anyways... check it out:

https://www.topgear.com/videos/chris...edes-amg-e63-s
2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Suzuka Gray
2012 Mercedes Benz C63 AMG Black Series Obsidian Black

Last edited by Vic55; 07-05-2017 at 02:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
gmfive98.00
      07-02-2017, 11:23 AM   #2
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M5, X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic55 View Post
I think he likes it LOL.... the car, based on his comments (which I respect), appears to be everything and even more. I did hear a comparison of the exhaust with a C63S wagon and I agree, its a bit tame. But the rest of the car is going to be awesome. AMG has gone a bit strong on its dampeners and he commented as well. In my C63S and GTS; the cars are borderline painful at times even on better paved roads.

Anyways... check it out:

It's a great car.

I think most here will still like the new M5 better and that it will have better test figures (after all, both MB and Porsche had their latest generation even heavier than the previous generation) due to likely the lightest weight of the class.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 12:10 PM   #3
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
AMG has gone a bit strong on its dampeners and he commented as well. In my C63S and GTS; the cars are borderline painful at times even on better paved roads.
I'm not familiar with MB suspensions, but I know you are. I'm concerned with the MB air body control system and all the related plumbing. Do you think there might be an alternative more standard suspension available when ordered? We can't build them online yet, so....?

I'm in love with the interior, very S level like and to my eye a huge improvement over the C level still using the iPad screen as almost an afterthought.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 12:18 PM   #4
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used2be View Post
I'm not familiar with MB suspensions, but I know you are. I'm concerned with the MB air body control system and all the related plumbing. Do you think there might be an alternative more standard suspension available when ordered? We can't build them online yet, so....?

I'm in love with the interior, very S level like and to my eye a huge improvement over the C level still using the iPad screen as almost an afterthought.
My C and GTS are both spring cars with very very taut dampeners. The C was like a rock until I changed it to KW sleeves which had better progressive rates.

As for the E; all previous gens either had a full Airmatic system or more recently (2010 and beyond AMG's) had springs up front and Airmatic in the rear. I don't know what is behind the new W213 E63S AMG but based on his comments, he thinks its more of an M feel.

Just an FYI but after 10 AMG's with the majority having air suspensions; I never had any issues (well one minor one with my wagon) but the cars tended to be more fluffy vs that "tight" feel most of us like that is usually accustomed with M cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 12:34 PM   #5
Used2be
Perennial PFC
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 DG/Aragon

Quote:
Just an FYI but after 10 AMG's with the majority having air suspensions; I never had any issues (well one minor one with my wagon) but the cars tended to be more fluffy vs that "tight" feel most of us like that is usually accustomed with M cars.
My worry exactly. And with the automatic lowering at speed, replacing the suspension might be a more involved project than simply changing shocks and springs. Or maybe there's simply an air pump to take out of the system and that's solved. Did/does KW or some other manufacturer make replacement suspension for the E class MBs? As they offer for our M5s?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 01:45 PM   #6
Bimmer6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 458SPY, GT3RS on the way

Quote:
I think he likes it LOL.... the car, based on his comments (which I respect), appears to be everything and even more. I did hear a comparison of the exhaust with a C63S wagon and I agree, its a bit tame. But the rest of the car is going to be awesome. AMG has gone a bit strong on its dampeners and he commented as well. In my C63S and GTS; the cars are borderline painful at times even on better paved roads.

Anyways... check it out:

Thanks for sharing, and I do think AMG came to the table strong here. BMW needs to do wonders with the new M5, and the edge was always steering if they lose that trouble could come. My M4 I'm just sick of it because of the driver feel, and the M5 was fun but muted. When I drop 100k bones I don't want to spend time playing with it to make it sound better. Vic go drive a Spyder and tell me how do you like the feel and sound?

Good video for sure!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2017, 06:15 PM   #7
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

My C and GTS are both spring cars with very very taut dampeners. The C was like a rock until I changed it to KW sleeves which had better progressive rates.

As for the E; all previous gens either had a full Airmatic system or more recently (2010 and beyond AMG's) had springs up front and Airmatic in the rear. I don't know what is behind the new W213 E63S AMG but based on his comments, he thinks its more of an M feel.

It is air suspension again, but I expect it will be pretty tight. From the reviews I read it is much improved.

From their website:
The E 63's advanced, lightweight adaptive air suspension responds with equal skill to the demands of the city streets, winding roads and challenging tracks. Its AMG-calibrated sensors and pressurized air spring-struts can respond within milliseconds to road-surface and driving conditions. It also self-lowers at speed to further enhance handling stability and efficiency. Versatile 3-stage adaptive damping includes refined Comfort, reduced-roll Sport and highly rigid Sport+ modes.

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 07-03-2017 at 01:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 08:28 AM   #8
Lowflight
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Love the technology. Front looks aggressive. But like the M5, it's too mundane looking.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 11:15 AM   #9
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
It is air suspension again, but I expect it will be pretty tight. From the reviews I read it is much improved.

From their website:
The E 63's advanced, lightweight adaptive air suspension responds with equal skill to the demands of the city streets, winding roads and challenging tracks. Its AMG-calibrated sensors and pressurized air spring-struts can respond within milliseconds to road-surface and driving conditions. It also self-lowers at speed to further enhance handling stability and efficiency. Versatile 3-stage adaptive damping includes refined Comfort, reduced-roll Sport and highly rigid Sport+ modes.
Thanks Mit, so there you have it, no springs up front just air all the way around like the S class but with proper electronics (one hopes).
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 12:02 PM   #10
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
My worry exactly. And with the automatic lowering at speed, replacing the suspension might be a more involved project than simply changing shocks and springs. Or maybe there's simply an air pump to take out of the system and that's solved. Did/does KW or some other manufacturer make replacement suspension for the E class MBs? As they offer for our M5s?
Dont overcook the reliability/replacement issue, its not an issue and Ive had 7 full or blended AMG air suspension cars. The one thing I didnt like back in the day was the "softness" or body roll but more recently on these rides, the air suspension was much improved from a rate perspective and vehicle yaw:

1. 2010 E63
2. 2012 CLS63
3. 2012 E63 Estate (had a leaking shock- only issue of all my cars suspensionwise)
4. 2013 SL63 (had the upgraded AMG suspension- option on even AMG cars)

I also had a full air set up (OEM) on my Bentley GT3R and that car for weighing 5k lbs handled shockingly well. Of course the best handling cars Ive had are the ones with springs and Magnetorheological dampers. And the worst of the lot was the CL65 with the now defunct ABC air suspension. That car was a cruise missile on a boat LOL.

Oh I have lowered all my AMG's with no issues.

Last edited by Vic55; 07-03-2017 at 02:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 02:11 PM   #11
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black M5

Infotainment and Wet Clutch aside I think this new E63S may actually be the very first time I may consider an E63 over an M5. We'll done Mercedes. Well done!

Thanks for sharing Vic! Absolutely love Chris's honest opinion on the car.

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 02:35 PM   #12
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Infotainment and Wet Clutch aside I think this new E63S may actually be the very first time I may consider an E63 over an M5. We'll done Mercedes. Well done!

Dave you will be fine with the infotainment, a buddy just got a new E43 and the screen and the visuals are actually better than the S Class IMHO as its one long screen vs a split connected one like the S. The wet 9 speed is going to fine too; they have fixed their electronics as indicated via my opinion with the C63S. There are days when I go from the C63 to the GTS and dont even realize I went from an MCT to a DCT.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 02:48 PM   #13
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Dave you will be fine with the infotainment, a buddy just got a new E43 and the screen and the visuals are actually better than the S Class IMHO as its one long screen vs a split connected one like the S. The wet 9 speed is going to fine too; they have fixed their electronics as indicated via my opinion with the C63S. There are days when I go from the C63 to the GTS and dont even realize I went from an MCT to a DCT.
The E has higher resolution screens than the S Class nut it is still 2 screens beneath a single sheet of glass. The new facelift S Class has the same spec screen and infotainment as the E.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2017, 02:52 PM   #14
Vic55
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
The E has higher resolution screens than the S Class nut it is still 2 screens beneath a single sheet of glass. The new facelift S Class has the same spec screen and infotainment as the E.
Oh thanks, I was comparing his E43 screen to the another friends 2017 S63 Cab.... just looked nicer if that was even possible with the new look that Benz has.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 01:50 AM   #15
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Vic did you hear about the next generation CLS getting a CLS53S version? It's going to be a non-plugin hybrid with Mercedes new Inline 6 engine and a 70hp electric motor, for a total output of just over 500hp. I do wonder what the 6 Inline engine will sound like though, pretty good I imagine. It seems Mercedes is going to make a 53S version for all of their models too! These new hybrids won't be for efficiency but solely for performance, but will get good mpg's due to the inherent design.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/12065/m...ls-report-says

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 03:48 AM   #16
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Vic did you hear about the next generation CLS getting a CLS53S version? It's going to be a non-plugin hybrid with Mercedes new Inline 6 engine and a 70hp electric motor, for a total output of just over 500hp. I do wonder what the 6 Inline engine will sound like though, pretty good I imagine. It seems Mercedes is going to make a 53S version for all of their models too! These new hybrids won't be for efficiency but solely for performance, but will get good mpg's due to the inherent design.

http://www.thedrive.com/news/12065/m...ls-report-says
Just got my P100D and I love the instant response. We will see more and more of these hybrids with electric motor to help with throttle response and performance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 10:40 AM   #17
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah you are right, I'm just gonna have to test drive one to see about how the clutch feels. I'll play with the infotainment to see how it works too.

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 10:55 AM   #18
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

E63S vs Pam Turbo (MB has advantage in HP and weight).

E63S was slightly faster on this small track and Steve likes it.

For those who doesn't know Steve, he is an ex-British touring driver turned journalist. He knows how to drive, in 2007 test driving Honda F1 car he was within one second of the Honda test driver on the same track.

Last edited by Phatcat; 07-04-2017 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 12:06 PM   #19
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

I was lucky enough to have a crack on the new E 63 AMG S press car here in Brazil, in the 2017 AMG Driving Tour. Man, what a car, long gone are the days where AMGs couldn't handle their obscene power figures. I have had a long past history of M-Cars and AMG (I had a M3 E90, W204 C 63 AMG, CLS 63 AMG PP, M5 F10, W212 E 63 4 Matic and lastly M6 F06 Gran Coupe).

None of these cars come even close to the AMG. In fact, I think at the moment there is not a single Saloon or Estate that can even come close or hold a candle to the E 63 AMG S. The car feels amazing to drive. A RS6/RS7 will not even be able to see where the AMG is heading, and a M5 F10 will probably spin out of control trying to keep up. This car is just a whole new category of handling. To my eyes not even the Giulia QV and the Panamera Turbo (despite their exceptional Nurburgring lap-times) can match the E 63 AMG S. I have not driven the new Panamera Turbo, but I have had plenty of seat time in Turbo S model from previous generation, and it doesn't even come close to this new E 63.

I drove it only for 2 laps, but oh boy was I in for a treat. The steering is incredibly precise and feels awesome on your hands, and the car's handling is razor sharp. The transmission is instant, it is pretty much on pair with M-DCT, and the brakes are impeccable too. I drove a non CCB car, but it still took a day of multiple people abusing of it on track without distress. The brake pedal feels great, in fact the whole car feels great. It feels at least 300-400kg lighter than it really is, it has an amazing sense of agility. This is a car that weighs 1950kg but from personal experience I feel like it can easily keep up with a 911 Turbo in a twisty road if driven properly. The car has surreal traction, amazing throttle response, pretty much instant change of direction. In fact all of the controls are pretty immediate. Not trying to kiss too much ass, but this car feels like a saloon 911 Turbo. It is that awesome.

I can not comment on road usability or ride comfort because my contact with the car was on track laps and simulated drag races (pretty pointless if you ask me), but on track at least it is a whole new level. I have taken the M6 GC, and the previous E 63 on track, and while the M6 was an awesome experience, the chassis always felt overwhelmed by the sheer power and mass of the thing (it either understeered or oversteered big time), although the car always felt composed, and very agile. The W212 E 63 on the other hand was just awful on track, the transmission was rubbish, brakes were useless, and the steering felt loose and numb. M3 E90 and W204 C 63 I never had the chance to take them to the track, but from my past experience the new E 63 steers with more precision and delicacy than even the E90 M3. The car is sublime.

You are probably thinking I am a AMG asslicker from my personal report, but I am saying this because I loved the car, I absolutely loved it. My only criticism is the rear styling, the run flat tyres, and I would probably complain about ride comfort. But as far as criticism goes, that is it really. The new M5 will have to be exceptional and at least 4 cuts above the current to compete with the E 63.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 12:11 PM   #20
Phatcat
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlosM4 View Post
I was lucky enough to have a crack on the new E 63r
Yeah you are right about the M6GC or F10 M5 for that matter, SA have always said the chassis wasn't good enough for the power. But I am sure the new M5 will be good, in fact I expect it to have class leading performance.

The Pam no matter how good, I just can't get over the styling. MB has came a long way but in this class, my preference is always the M5 (big car is another matter, I prefer the S over 7).
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2017, 12:18 PM   #21
CarlosM4
Lieutenant
Brazil
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatcat View Post
Yeah you are right about the M6GC or F10 M5 for that matter, SA have always said the chassis wasn't good enough for the power. But I am sure the new M5 will be good, in fact I expect it to have class leading performance.

The Pam no matter how good, I just can't get over the styling. MB has came a long way but in this class, my preference is always the M5 (big car is another matter, I prefer the S over 7).
The new M5 will be pretty special too. If it is anywhere near as good as the new E 63 AMG S, it will be pretty much faultless as well. These cars have come a long way in terms of their RWD madness. The CLS 63 I owned was RWD and it just felt totally out of place. With 557hp the car felt lost, and the M6 GC was a great car, it handled wonderfully but it is too much of handful as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2017, 11:44 AM   #22
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Sounds like this new E63S is truly a great car. Now I just need to drive one! No doubt doubt the next F90 M5 will be outstanding in the performance department, I just don't think I can forgive them for using the same engine as the F10 M5 or the rear brake calipers for that matter! Even if the F90 M5 is lighter and better car than the E63S I think I might actually prefer the Mercedes since it is so different. The F90 just shares too many similarities with the F10, I would feel like I'm buying the same car again but only with AWD now.

Appreciate 0