M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Cosmetic Maintenance (wash/wax, protection, repairs)

07-10-2018, 02:09 PM   #1
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 CP GC

Steering Wheel Restoration to Factory Look + Alcantara

I am looking for a process in which I can restore the f10 m5 steering wheel back to its original, factory, matte feel & look.

All the detailing videos I have seen generally use a leather cleaner & a brush to agitate the leather's pores, and wipe clean. To some extent even steam machines; however, whenever the leather is conditioned (per conventional good detailing) the shine comes right back.

Are there products in the market that leave a steering wheel matte conditioned? Further, any good leather steering wheel cleaning products & methods I may employ for the best results?

Lastly, I am thinking of switching the steering wheel to alcantara M sports steering wheel (the electronic one). How does one go about maintaining/cleaning one of those?

Thank you all!
Best,
H
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 11:19 AM   #2
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep

Bump!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 08:45 AM   #3
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep

Lol...please?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2018, 06:36 PM   #4
M5_Brandoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black sapphire M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirkaismyname View Post
Lol...please?
Haha.

Bump for you. You need to keep them hands clean. I would be interested in this also, for the future.
      07-21-2018, 08:51 AM   #5
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep

M5_Brandoe I hear "Leather Masters" from Detailers Domain (website) is a pretty solid cleaner. Further they have a "matte" conditioner that leaves the leather without a shine but with a condition.

I've also researched SwissVax and heard good things about them as well. I'll test it out and keep you posted.

I'm kind of not motivated to clean the leather given that the vehicle is a lease; however, the steering wheel is an absolute MUST. So, I'll be trying both out very soon.

Thanks,
H
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 12:37 PM   #6
Lennon997
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hirkaismyname View Post
M5_Brandoe I hear "Leather Masters" from Detailers Domain (website) is a pretty solid cleaner. Further they have a "matte" conditioner that leaves the leather without a shine but with a condition.

I've also researched SwissVax and heard good things about them as well. I'll test it out and keep you posted.

I'm kind of not motivated to clean the leather given that the vehicle is a lease; however, the steering wheel is an absolute MUST. So, I'll be trying both out very soon.

Thanks,
H
lol good to know......even on a lease you wont clean and condition the leather once a year? thats pretty poor.

OP.....

the short answer to your question is you will never get it back to original luster and condition, ever...... You can either replace the wheel with an OEM leather or replace with alcantara or the m performance wheel.

In keeping suede clean, wash your hands before you touch....you can use a coating (think ceramic pro or even a product you would use on suede shoes), spray and let it dry, this will create a barrier.

Also with alcantara/suede, there are specific cleaners made to clean it but IMO and in 10 years of doing this for fun i find that using a terry rag with water cleans the suede the best. You then brush it down to keep it consistent and let it dry.

for your OEM current wheel..... if you can take it out the car do it. leave it (with no electronics and no airbag) in direct sunlight. this will start to open the pores on the leather. Use a good cleaner (i like leatherique pristine clean personally) with new microfiber towels, one to apply and one to wipe.

Let it continue to sit in the sun while it drys out, you can then apply a leather conditioner (as other mentioned ones that leave a matte finish, or a leatherique rejuvinator.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #7
hirkaismyname
Lieutenant
Rep

Lennon997 broke as ever
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2018, 07:24 PM   #8
Vancouver_M440
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 M5 Sedan

So I just bought a 2012 M5 from a BMW dealership and there was some wear or scratches or dirt on the wheel. It was rather rough in some spots. I got the dealer to fix it before I buy and they took it to some local leather repair place. The wheel was actually in not bad shape considering it's age and it had been cleaned or else it would have been more shiny but after the leather repair was finished it, it was practically new. I mean it was completely the right color, and completely matte. The texture I would say is almost identical to a brand new wheel in the showroom. I was shocked. I don't think they replaced the leather because the turn around was same day and it would be probably more expensive. So maybe check around your local dealer and ask if they have a guy that refinishes leather. It is possible.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 05:54 AM   #9
schrickm5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 M550d xdrive touring

I am going to revive this thread, as I found an excellent and cheap way. In fact not much beats it....

Use melanin sponges & I used a leather cleaning fluid from The Furniture Co UK, but I am sure you can use any decent brand cleaner here.

Its the sponge that does the work here, its extremely fine pores seem to give the leather a great clean, a litle bit like the exfoliation of your black heads (if you have any) - only the abrasiveness comes from the sponge.

I made just one pass, and the steering wheel was matt again.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Melanin-S...frcectupt=true

Previous Cars:- 2015 GTR > 2014 M5 CP > 2006 M6> 2007 M5 E61 > 2014 F31 328xi >2001 E39 530i > 1995 E34 M5 > 1999 Alpina B8 > 1992 E34 M5 >
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2019, 03:48 AM   #10
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

I wouldn't want my wheel completely matt so just use cream cleaner restorer.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2019, 01:51 PM   #11
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

washing your hands and keeping your hands clean before you touch is not going to keep anything clean.. only wearing gloves will do that if you touch because it's not dirt on your hands it's oil that is secreted from your hands and sweat as well that of course contains oil and salt and that ends up getting on leather and Alcantara and each successive use adds another layer and before you know it in one month you've got a dirty steering wheel no matter what material it is..

if you want to clean alcantara use a spray bottle with just warm water and lightly soak it to get it ready for delicate cloth rubbing and dry it by applying pressure is the least damaging way to clean alcantara. for the light cloth rubbing use a drop of DAWN dish soap in a bowl of warm water and a plush microfiber cloth get some suds worked up on the cloth and delicately wipe the alcantara after it's already wet from the spray bottle. paying attention to keep wiping in one direction don't go back-and-forth or in circles. start from the right and wipe to the left then go back and do it again. you want to wipe all in one direction because you're getting oil and grease so if you swirl or go back-and-forth you're just going to grind it in deeper and smear... . if you have a real dirty spot or a stain use a very soft toothbrush with the dawn water but using a brush and rubbing too much on Alcantara will make it nap/ball up.
go back over it with a rag soaked in only warm water. put towel in your hand and grab the wheel and apply pressure but don't wring. done. let dry.

now if you want to clean and restore leather to new, and yes that means with a matte finish

I've said it before, ill say it again.. Leatherique and Prestine Clean .
-i've used everything, was a big Lexol advocate for years and its ok and safe but nothing compares to leatherique and prestine clean

it is crazy how it works. The prestine clean is also great for just using on a rag to wipe your dash and plastics and everything down. this is used by rolls royce and ferrari collectors.. it is the real thing

-clean your tri-colored stitching with a very soft toothbrush and a drop of Dawn and warm water in a cup. dip and brush gently and repeat and then wipe dry with a microfiber

i'll let my steering wheel do the talking now
(i actually cleaned my threads this morning but havent done anything to the leather for months and only did once)

-and if you lift weights or have rough hands keep your calluses on your palms sanded down because that will ruin your steering wheel faster than anything.
Attached Images

Last edited by BeachM5nster; 04-14-2019 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 3
94jedi829.00
1320racer128.50
      06-14-2020, 01:25 PM   #12
1320racer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW F10 M5

I recently purchased the same Leatherique products and I am happy with the results so far.

My M5’s leather was not stiff or too dirty, so there was no huge transformation when these products were used. I did like that the surfaces did return to a more new-looking matte finish.

But when this stuff was used on my 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee, the change was very apparent. The Jeep’s leather had become stiff/hard over the past 18 years so I brushed on the Rejuvenator several times as the vehicle sat in sun for two consecutive days. Then, I used the Pristine Cleaner and now the leather feels significantly softer.

Past: 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2014 BMW 550i MSport, 2005 Jaguar S-Type R, 2000 BMW 540i, 1997 BMW 540i, 1997 WS6 Pontiac Firebird, 1992 Eagle Talon TSI
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 10:25 AM   #13
A3ch
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 X5 M, 14 BMW M5

Anyone use leather to rewrap it like from mew-art or east detailing?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 11:29 AM   #14
MurTEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 Jahre

For alcantara, use Sonax.

https://www.sonaxusa.com/upholstery-...a-cleaner.html
Appreciate 0