BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

03-11-2020, 11:47 AM   #1
J11SEK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 2015

I am looking to do some coding on my motor, have researched it on the general forum as it's been done to death! BUT, everyone seems to do it differently, some with just ignition on, some with engine running, some with the car hooked up to a trickle charger running and not running, obviously I want to avoid any issues through the coding process and wondered what you guys have done re the coding process on your UK M5's..??
I have purchased the VEEPEAK OBD scanner/dongle, which is Bluetooth and will be using the Bimmer software obv, I am ready to start once I know the correct method that won't cause issues on my car thanks in advance for any help!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 06:38 AM   #2
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

I didnt use a charger as you wont need it but you do need the ignition on, I dont have the engine running
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 06:42 AM   #3
J11SEK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
I didnt use a charger as you wont need it but you do need the ignition on, I dont have the engine running
Thanks for your input 👍 did the coding go without any issues for you??
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 09:31 AM   #4
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J11SEK View Post
Thanks for your input 👍 did the coding go without any issues for you??
Yes a few odd error messages but thats normal. All good
Appreciate 1
J11SEK268.00
      03-12-2020, 05:40 PM   #5
Grizzle34
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2017 G12 740Ld Xdrive M Sport

i always hook up my ctek
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 04:51 AM   #6
J11SEK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzle34 View Post
i always hook up my ctek
Why?? Is it likely to cause a drain on your battery and cause issues?? 🤔 this is what I don't understand, why some do and some don't feel that a charger is needed..... 🤷*♂️
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 06:18 AM   #7
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Why?? Is it likely to cause a drain on your battery and cause issues?? 🤔 this is what I don't understand, why some do and some don't feel that a charger is needed..... 🤷*♂️
I takes about 20 mins so no way its going to effect your battery, i wont harm hooking one up but its not needed.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 08:27 PM   #8
J11SEK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I takes about 20 mins so no way its going to effect your battery, i wont harm hooking one up but its not needed.
My 1st experience coding went very well 👍 a number of options changed/altered hud indicators added, seat temp lowered, angel eye brightness 100% on low beam, running lights at rear LED lcis added, tv in motion added, sports dials turned orange, took me about 40mins as I looked through many options to see what was available... the app seemed to clear all error codes as well, so the car didn't show any at all whilst the ecu was resetting each time 👍 had it hooked up to a battery charger as it took a while to do.
I've read that the door handle lights can be activated when reverse gear is selected??? Does anyone know which module this option would be in please? I couldn't see it.....
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 05:35 AM   #9
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
My 1st experience coding went very well 👍 a number of options changed/altered hud indicators added, seat temp lowered, angel eye brightness 100% on low beam, running lights at rear LED lcis added, tv in motion added, sports dials turned orange, took me about 40mins as I looked through many options to see what was available... the app seemed to clear all error codes as well, so the car didn't show any at all whilst the ecu was resetting each time 👍 had it hooked up to a battery charger as it took a while to do.
I've read that the door handle lights can be activated when reverse gear is selected??? Does anyone know which module this option would be in please? I couldn't see it.....
Door handle lights cannot be coded this is 3/4 series only

You should code Stop/Start to always off and also radio off when door opened

There are loads such as wing mirror fold when door locked without delay
Appreciate 1
J11SEK268.00
      03-16-2020, 07:44 AM   #10
J11SEK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Door handle lights cannot be coded this is 3/4 series only

You should code Stop/Start to always off and also radio off when door opened

There are loads such as wing mirror fold when door locked without delay
Mine is a 2015 so I just press the button under the Start button to turn this function off..... folding mirrors and closure by fob already active but I can see there is lots more that can be achieved through this application 😀
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 09:43 AM   #11
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Mine is a 2015 so I just press the button under the Start button to turn this function off..... folding mirrors and closure by fob already active but I can see there is lots more that can be achieved through this application 😀
They all do that mate with the stop/start but I was sick of having to press it whenever I started the car so now its off by default
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2020, 09:46 AM   #12
J11SEK
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
They all do that mate with the stop/start but I was sick of having to press it whenever I started the car so now its off by default
Ah ok got ya! 👍 will look into that once it starts to pee me off..... 😜 thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0