M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

04-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #199
AMR
Private
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

Any updates on how the injured are doing?

I can't find any info about how they're doing and if they expect to make full recoveries.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #200
Calmwinds
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Everywhere

poor dog.

Next driver, crash into the stupid merger
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 07:57 PM   #201
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_yogi View Post
Holy cow. Hope the driver and passenger have a full and quick recovery. Safe motoring everyone...
and the dog too!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #202
YolkyPalky
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘23 X3MC Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVMA Doc View Post
One REALLY big problem with your assertion is that the "innocent" driver who merged unsafely and caused the accident LEFT THE SCENE of an accident. Even if an accident is not your fault, you CANNOT LEAVE.

Also, even though a car changing lanes MIGHT have "priority", there is ALWAYS the RESPONSIBILITY to make the lane change safely. You CANNOT merge over at even a 20 MPH differential of speed with an unreasonable distance between the vehicles.

That is why there are exceptions to the rule that the car that rear ends another vehicle is at fault. If there was a recent lane change, etc., the vehicle in front CAN be 100% responsible for the accident.
Didn't anyone ever consider the fact that this "story" of another driver "merging unsafely" is a total one-sided explanation of what happened from the accident victim and his family?

I have an alternate thesis, a 60 year old was driving close to 200 mph, probably well beyond his abilities, and lost control at the first instance of {insert your excuse here} that caused him to have to slow down rapidly.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 01:29 AM   #203
BimmerboyPate92
BimmerBoyPatE92
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly e39 540i w/6 spd man

Hope someone finds the bastard who fled the scene.

I also hope everyone has a full recovery, including the dog. Poor fella won't ever go near another car I'm sure.
      04-22-2012, 04:09 AM   #204
delvek
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 550i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Peter View Post
While it might be well written (the post you refer to) I'm sorry to say I cannot share your point of view. There are some cowboys on the German Autobahn, I've experianced it personally. I normally rent a VW and while I can hold 150 to 170KM quite safe in the right hand lane when overtaking trucks at say 190 KM things do get tricky.

I'm sure (unless you drive one of the faster cars and always live in the left lane) you may have experienced this.

1) check in your rear mirror all is clear you speed up from say 170 to 190KM + to over take a 18 wheeler.

2) as you are in the middle of overtaking a Porsche BMW or Mercedes flashes his lights for you to get out of the left lane.

On one such occasion the Porsche driver was so mad at me that I did not get out of his way fast enough since I had to gain a save distance in order to turn safely to the right lane in front of the 18 wheeler. He in fact cut me off, damaged my car and speed off.

Thus there are also idiots and cawboys in Germany on the Autobahn. If you have not meet any yet give it time you will. Just be ready when you do and keep your cool.

Cheers, Rolf

BTW When he stated there are not many accedens on the autobahn I had to

Just see how many accidents there are on the AUTOBAHN ---> CLICK HERE AND CHECK IT OUT
I have only been living in Germany since 1998 which doesnt constitute a lot of experience but I think its enough to say that overall there are very few accidents on the autobahn and even fewer police to be seen. I read your posts and think there are two Germany's!

Your accounts of driving on the autobahn in my opinion are quite hilarious! THe only reason why I am posting this is because it really sucks that someone such as yourself is coming across as some autobahn authority where clearly you are delusional as I nothing you write makes any sense in the over 10 years I have been living and driving in Germany.
      04-22-2012, 05:18 AM   #205
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by delvek View Post
I have only been living in Germany since 1998 which doesnt constitute a lot of experience but I think its enough to say that overall there are very few accidents on the autobahn and even fewer police to be seen. I read your posts and think there are two Germany's!

Your accounts of driving on the autobahn in my opinion are quite hilarious! THe only reason why I am posting this is because it really sucks that someone such as yourself is coming across as some autobahn authority where clearly you are delusional as I nothing you write makes any sense in the over 10 years I have been living and driving in Germany.
With very little experience of Autrobahn driving, I still have to agree with your views on this.

The link posted by Alter Peter earlier about accidents on the autobahn does not really give any information about the frequency of accidents compared to other roads.

According to this article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_autobahns#Safety

There are 2,2 fatalities per billion vehicle kilometres on German autobahns. Belgium had 4,5, the Netherlands 2,1 and using the same statistics on US motorways they have 4,5 fatalities per billion vehicle kilometres.

So Autobahns are twice as safe as US motorways and comparable to a lot of european motorways...
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 09:12 AM   #206
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:

I do respect your views and your impression of the driving habits you see from day to day (in your area of daily travel) that this might be quite normal that you interpid as save etc.

I fully agree that driving at a higher speed (within reason) is safer then driving slow and presenting roadblocks along the highway. I also agree that the method of obtaining a German drivers licence is much more stringent then here in North America I still have my original German drivers licence and I am sure obtaining one now are much more stringent then when I got mine.

However, my comments are based up on experience. when I come to Germany I do drive quite a lot. For example on my last trip I clocked over 6,000 KM in 4 weeks most of this was on the autobahn. Perhaps it is save to say that I put more kilometers on a car during one German visit then you might in one or even 2 years. You see driving longer distances is quite normal for us here in North America, perhaps you do know this I merley point it out just in case you don't. I know for a fact that my relatives think driving 30 some KM to the next village in Germany is a long trip. We do this on a daily basis just to get stuff from the store.

Now I don't know you and therefore withold any further comments about your post to me only to say I perhaps know my Fatherland better then you and during my vacation travels at home see more of the autobahn then you ever will. I've been returning home to Germany since the 1960's on a regular basis more often now (like every 2 years) since I am retired.

I would recommend you select your wording more carefully, I say this only since you don't know me or do you? There is no need to look down on people here in this forum let me just say you don't know me so to make statrements of the kind you did in my view is simply not right.

Speeds at 280 to 300+ right here ----> Click to Open

This was the kind of speed the 60 year old in his M5 was doing that Jason put up in his thread.

One of many results ---> Click to Open

Let us pray that no one here ever is involved in something like this.

In the end you must agree that driving like the fellow did in excess of 300 KM per hour constantly in the left lane is unsafe. If he wanted to experience the 300 plus speed in a M3 he should take it to the Nürburgring like you did when you took your Nürburgring Taxi ride. Why play with other peoples lives. I've seen fataleties on the autobahn there was not much left of the inedvidual(s) after a high speed accident. Only when you witnessed something like that can you apprichiate what I am talking about.

Have a safe life ... so long

Rolf-Dieter

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 04-22-2012 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 09:45 AM   #207
Touring
Major
Norway
Rep
Drives: i3,E21,M2,E23, Skoda Kodiaq

Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 10:21 AM   #208
Amleto63
Commander
Italy
Rep
Drives: F10 520d Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason
Attachment 678071This 2012 M5 was traveling at a top speed (approximately 186mph/300kmh) when the driver lost control of the car as he braked and swerved to avoid a car. As the driver of the M5 swerved to avoid a car which joined the highway aggressively (without noticing the oncoming BMW), the M5 struck the divider, bounced off and shot across the highway, where it flipped several times on the grass at the side of the A81.

The 60 year old driver, 20 year old passenger, and a dog were all seriously injured, but are alive. Judging by the severity of the damage to the car, it's a testament to the M5's safety technology that no one was instantly killed.

The car which cut off the M5 did not stop and fled the scene of the accident. The M6 and M3 on the scene belong to the M5 owner's sons, who were traveling with the M5 at the time of the accident. One of the sons, seeing smoke coming from the M5's engine after the crash, was able to prevent any more danger by using an extinguisher on the engine.

It's easy to forget sometimes just how much power our BMWs have and while they are some of the safest cars in the world, we are all still human, capable of suffering injuries and making driving mistakes (or simply suffering bad luck). So please be safe out there!

Quote:
Translated news summary: Accident on the A81 - Motorway closed

Villingen-Schwenningen/Tuningen (ez) - On highway 81 between Tuningen and Villingen-Schwenningen, it has in the evening hours of Tuesday in the direction of - Stuttgart, a serious accident. The two occupants of the car were seriously injured.

I'm sorry for the driver but he should have expected this. 300 km/h on a highway and in the Netherlands where people are not used (as here in Belgium) to keep the right lane and looking at the mirrors while overtaking! Only a fool can do this! If You want enjoying your BMW and push the throttle please go on track as I do!
      04-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #209
serge
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 ZCP (Sold) / '06 C6 Z06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amleto63 View Post
I'm sorry for the driver but he should have expected this. 300 km/h on a highway and in the Netherlands where people are not used (as here in Belgium) to keep the right lane and looking at the mirrors while overtaking! Only a fool can do this! If You want enjoying your BMW and push the throttle please go on track as I do!
FYI, accident happened in an unrestricted autobahn in Germany, not in the Netherlands.

Unlike Belgians, Germans don't need to go to the track to go fast. Like it or not, we can do it legally.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 01:37 PM   #210
grimlock
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Poor dog.
20yr old female passenger daughter or girlfriend?
Looks like the sons are prepared for dad's mishaps, following conservatively behind at 200kmh with the fire extingisher.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 04:54 PM   #211
Mysecondwife
AF Officer
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 335xi M Sport/Black-Black

Garage List
Wow....amazing they survived!
      04-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #212
StyleBimma
Driven by passion. Fueled by dreams.
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 330i + F25 X3 35i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalamokid View Post
Anyone question why there is an m3 and an m6 at the crash site? Maybe they were racing?

As the article above clearly states....

Quote:
The M6 and M3 on the scene belong to the M5 owner's sons, who were traveling with the M5 at the time of the accident.
      04-22-2012, 08:42 PM   #213
D-Rock
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325i

I hope the dog is okay!! ;(
      04-22-2012, 09:36 PM   #214
e9xslow
Emperor
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalamokid View Post
Anyone question why there is an m3 and an m6 at the crash site? Maybe they were racing?
part of the family, other son or something i believe.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2012, 11:37 PM   #215
Amleto63
Commander
Italy
Rep
Drives: F10 520d Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amleto63 View Post
FYI, accident happened in an unrestricted autobahn in Germany, not in the Netherlands.

Unlike Belgians, Germans don't need to go to the track to go fast. Like it or not, we can do it legally.
OK! In any case you have to consider this is part of the risk if you go fast (I mean very fast) on an open traffic road. I don't know the dynamics of that crash but I notice that many power cars drivers completely ignore the basics of fast and safe driving.
I'm not a professional pilot but I attended various sport/track/safe driving courses by BMW, Alfa Romeo, Lexus, Ducati and often practice on track with my bike and car.
Cheers

PS
I'm Italian but working in Brussels
      04-23-2012, 03:17 AM   #216
ItsNumptyBoy
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E82 123d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touring
LOL @ Touring

Just for info..........

ASSUMING a much better than average reaction time or a 60yr old male.......
AND assuming that the brakes don't boil during the braking event and the tyres survive without changing their surface properties.....

At 186mph it would take 650m (that's 0.65km) to bring the M5 to a stop under EMERGENCY braking!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #217
Nelrock
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Quote:
I have only been living in Germany since 1998 which doesnt constitute a lot of experience but I think its enough to say that overall there are very few accidents on the autobahn and even fewer police to be seen.
That was my experience, in the years I lived there, as well.

2011 E92 M3 | Melbourne Red | Black Novillo w/Carbon Leather Trim | M-DCT | Competition Package | Premium Package 2 | Convenience Package | Enhanced Premium Sound | Heated Front Seats
2004 E46 M3 | Silver Grey | - Retired
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 06:57 AM   #218
TonyMeister
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW...
Location: I'm here I'm there I'm F' everywhere I'm the eggman

It was an UNRESTRICTED stretch of Autobahn, so slow cars shoul by law stay in the right lane. Therefore the real culprit for this accident was the slow, careless idiot who cut in front of the M5.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 08:36 AM   #219
YolkyPalky
Captain
Rep
Drives: ‘23 X3MC Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMeister
It was an UNRESTRICTED stretch of Autobahn, so slow cars shoul by law stay in the right lane. Therefore the real culprit for this accident was the slow, careless idiot who cut in front of the M5.
Isn't this "story" of another driver "merging unsafely" a one-sided explanation of what happened from the accident victim and his family?

A more likely alternate theory is a 60 year old was driving close to 200 mph, probably well beyond his abilities, and lost control at the first instance of {insert your excuse here} that caused him to have to slow down rapidly.
      04-23-2012, 01:39 PM   #220
Brennan
'The Godfather'
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SAAB 9-3 Aero TTiD

Goes to show how strong BMWs are these days, hope the passengers have a quick recovery.
Appreciate 0