M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

03-01-2022, 01:33 PM   #1
assultlonewolf
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Question which spark plugs / ignition coils to use?

so I just bought this 2013 M5 completely stock with 51k miles. I got project gamma catless downpipes and cold air intakes with BM3.

since im already going to be doing most of the work to get to the spark plugs and ignition coils when doing the exhaust I figured I might as well do those at the same time. but good god I cant find a clear answer on what type I should get. I will probably just be running a stage 1 tune and im wondering if I should do 1 step colder plugs 2 step colder plugs what gaping of the plugs. if colder plugs doesnt make sense for my set up then what does and why? links and/or part numbers would be greatly appreciated.

as well as any recommendations on ignition coils and any other potential maintenance things I may want to do while digging into the car. TIA
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2022, 01:37 PM   #2
assultlonewolf
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by assultlonewolf View Post
so I just bought this 2013 M5 completely stock with 51k miles. I got project gamma catless downpipes and cold air intakes with BM3.

since im already going to be doing most of the work to get to the spark plugs and ignition coils when doing the exhaust I figured I might as well do those at the same time. but good god I cant find a clear answer on what type I should get. I will probably just be running a stage 1 tune and im wondering if I should do 1 step colder plugs 2 step colder plugs what gaping of the plugs. if colder plugs doesnt make sense for my set up then what does and why? links and/or part numbers would be greatly appreciated.

as well as any recommendations on ignition coils and any other potential maintenance things I may want to do while digging into the car. TIA

I was also on the fence about replacing Fuel injectors as a preventative thing while im in there let me know opinions about if thats a good idea or a waste of time.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 07:04 AM   #3
Arwon
Registered
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 F10

I have a very similar setup and I'm looking at the same options. I have found that these NGK SILZKBR8D8S (97506) are a good 1 step cooler plug .

Currently i am using standard plugs at .021" and the cold start is rough. I am thinking of raising the start idle to about 800rpm.

I think i will be using the plugs previously mentioned. just waiting to check for more information.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2022, 12:50 PM   #4
co_pa
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 23 m340ix

I am bm3 ots stage1 tuned and chatted directly with dzenan. they recommend, as arwon noted, and I am running 97506s but gapped to .022.

dzenan made a blog post specific to this question here

definitely do plugs and coils at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 02:21 AM   #5
x35250
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5, Monte Carlo Blue

97506 plugs are recommended for Stage 2 cars.

For coils, I prefer the Delphi units. Order from FCP Euro and they'll be free the next time you replace them (minus shipping costs).

I would advise against doing the injectors yourself. Mine were stuck on there pretty good and it took a reputable Indy shop an extra couple hours to get the old plugs out. The removal/installation tool itself costs about $200 bucks.

For piece of mind on a proper install, I just decided to pay the shop to do them.

Also, with a 2013 model, you probably have EU5 Injectors. The EU5 allegedly sprays better/more than the EU6. EU5s definitely seem to cost more also.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2022, 08:27 AM   #6
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by x35250 View Post
97506 plugs are recommended for Stage 2 cars.

For coils, I prefer the Delphi units. Order from FCP Euro and they'll be free the next time you replace them (minus shipping costs).

I would advise against doing the injectors yourself. Mine were stuck on there pretty good and it took a reputable Indy shop an extra couple hours to get the old plugs out. The removal/installation tool itself costs about $200 bucks.

For piece of mind on a proper install, I just decided to pay the shop to do them.

Also, with a 2013 model, you probably have EU5 Injectors. The EU5 allegedly sprays better/more than the EU6. EU5s definitely seem to cost more also.
I did not know that about the eu5's do you know where in the lifecycle of the car that the eu6's were introduced?
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 03:44 PM   #7
Info@mad-us.com
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
I did not know that about the eu5's do you know where in the lifecycle of the car that the eu6's were introduced?
See if realoem.com Will tell you by your vin.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 12:47 AM   #8
x35250
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5, Monte Carlo Blue

Pretty sure all 2013 USDMs came with the EU5s. EU6s came in a couple years later.

If you send FCPEuro an email with your year and VIN, they will verify fitment for you also and let you know which ones to get. Again, the next time you order injectors (after about 50k miles) from them, they will refund you the second purchase if you send the old ones back. You still pay for return shipping. This is when you replace the new ones the second time - not for sending back what you have on there now.

Don't forget the injector couplers. Should not reuse those.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2022, 10:55 AM   #9
Solo_M_Tech
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
Ngk 97506 gapped at .022" and Delphi coils. Injectors have an extended warranty so I wouldn't worry about them until you need too. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...38372-9999.pdf