M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

11-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Garage List
Any talented radar detector installer recommendations for NJ area?

My '13 M5 is in need of an installed radar system and laser jammers. My trusty Valentine One is useless with the blind spot/lane change false alarms and disabling K band not an option in NJ.

So since the Valentine is now a paperweight in that car I'm looking for somebody at the top of their craft who I could trust to do an impeccable install of a Bel Stir+ or other high end detector system.

Anybody know of qualified techs in NJ area that you have either used or would trust with your own M5?

(also I have not found any info after extensive searching but if there is a fuse, wire harness or coding that would power down the lane departure/blind spot? If so I would do that and use the V1. Not sure if anything has turned up on this since my last search). Never ordering those options again. Don't even use them.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

I don't fully remember but I think this is right:
If you have the latest V1 software, then all you need to do is disable the traffic filter (letter "t" in the V1 settings) which disables POP on K band - not the entire k band.

I went with the STiR + LI setup. I posted a thread with my install you might want to take a look at.

The only thing I don't like is the tone of the STiR. Which is probably because of how I am so used to the V1. I wish there was a way to change the sound that comes out of that thing.

I am from NJ and just moved to NY. I would recommend you take the drive into NY for an installer. Where there are some very talented ones that work on high end cars.
      11-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Here it is:
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=888659
      11-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by avlnch View Post
Sorry but this install is not very good at all, I'm not saying in terms of functionality but in terms of the level of finish of the install it is just poor for an M5.

OP there is a shop in CT that can install the products you want and have a very high end install. They did mine and for example here is a picture of how they flush mounted and then repainted the trim for the controller so it looks OEM.

PM me and I can give you more details and the contact.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by carchrism5
Quote:
Sorry but this install is not very good at all, I'm not saying in terms of functionality but in terms of the level of finish of the install it is just poor for an M5.

OP there is a shop in CT that can install the products you want and have a very high end install. They did mine and for example here is a picture of how they flush mounted and then repainted the trim for the controller so it looks OEM.

I think the controller looks like.. shit, far from any type of control(s) BMW would put in a car. The last thing I would want is to have the controller front and center.

The whole point of my install was for it to be hidden. If you sit in my car you would never know there is a STiR or LI system in it. The display is in the mirror, the controller is on the right side of seat kick panel, and the USB hookups are flush mounted near the OBD II.

To each their own..
      11-24-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carchrism5
Quote:

I don't like it. Don't know why you would drill the dashboard to insert third party controls which don't match the OEM controls. I call that a hack job.

I agree with avlnch on this.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 03:39 PM   #7
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

I use AI Design (Tuckahoe, NY) for all my electronics. These guys are not cheap, but they are first class! They work on so many amazing cars that I feel like a pauper with my M5. Ask for Todd. Tell him Andrew Sherman recommended them.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #8
mvigod
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5 View Post
I use AI Design (Tuckahoe, NY) for all my electronics. These guys are not cheap, but they are first class! They work on so many amazing cars that I feel like a pauper with my M5. Ask for Todd. Tell him Andrew Sherman recommended them.
I'll check them out. Might be a bit of a ride for me. Around 1.5 to 2 hours from where I live in central jersey. Wonder how long an install would take if I waited.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 07:05 AM   #9
DrewM5
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG E60 M5

I have to imagine the better part of a day. They are walking ditstance from Metro North into the City if that is any help.
2014 M5 Competition|Space Grey|Black Merino Full Leather|Anthracite Trim|Executive package|LED Lighting Package|Drivers's Assit Package|B&O Sound System|Bel STiR Plus 9500ci|IND Side Markers and Side Vents|Exhaustmeister|HRE P101 Satin Charcoal/Michelin PSS (Summer)|601/Pirelli Sottozero Serie II (Winter)|Coded by V12
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 02:17 PM   #10
carchrism5
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X3 M40i, 911

Quote:
I think the controller looks like.. shit, far from any type of control(s) BMW would put in a car. The last thing I would want is to have the controller front and center.

The whole point of my install was for it to be hidden. If you sit in my car you would never know there is a STiR or LI system in it. The display is in the mirror, the controller is on the right side of seat kick panel, and the USB hookups are flush mounted near the OBD II.

To each their own..
The install you posted was pure garbage, you can see all the wires, exposed electrical tape, etc. The quality level of the install was sub par let alone on an M5 as nice as yours. That is completely separate of location of the parts, I was commenting on quality.

I understand to each his own, I want easy access to the controller since near me there are many false alarms and being a manual the mute button is right near where my hand is at all times. Plus this is a cheap plastic piece which I can replace at anytime if I take it out or want to move the controller. I chose the install there but the shop could do any kind of custom install the OP wanted with a high quality level of the install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewM5 View Post
They do some high end work but again they aren't cheap. Worth checking out some of the work on their website.
Appreciate 0