M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

02-12-2023, 07:01 PM   #1
6ixcommas
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW f10 M5

Angry Sparkplugs? Coils? Injectors? Help?

Bone stock M5. Seems to be idling a little rough when warm. But no cel. Yesterday while driving normally got a dtm. And checked. Was getting misfires on cyl 5. Cleared the code. Malfunction went away. Was able to drive home no further issues. I believe injector on that cylinder was replaced under warranty around 6 mo ago. Should I change spark and coil and see if problem persist?

Codes when scanned: 140510, 140504, 180101

Also: during injector failure it appears the heat gutted my driver side cat. So I have to do something about that. Was thinking of throwing on race dps. But I don’t want a CEL. Any ideas on that?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 04:25 AM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

I would def' change all of the plugs with the standard Bosch gapped at .032 and the associated coil with cyl 5. Not sure about replacing with cat less down pipes, could try a catalyser cleaner like Cataclean.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 10:37 AM   #3
6ixcommas
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
I would def' change all of the plugs with the standard Bosch gapped at .032 and the associated coil with cyl 5. Not sure about replacing with cat less down pipes, could try a catalyser cleaner like Cataclean.
Do I have to change them all?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 11:29 AM   #4
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixcommas View Post
Do I have to change them all?
It's always a good idea and why not, with these a one fault thing could lead to another and with the leaky injector it goes without saying the oil was changed also.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 12:46 PM   #5
6ixcommas
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
It's always a good idea and why not, with these a one fault thing could lead to another and with the leaky injector it goes without saying the oil was changed also.
Is there a way to check the injectors?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 04:02 PM   #6
M5Rick
General
Rep

Quote:
When one is jammed open you smell gas and you can hear it's not running right.
I use injector cleaner every fourth tankful to keep mine in check, I don't think the additives in the gas alone are enough to keep the injectors running sweet in the long term.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 05:59 PM   #7
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
ISTA has diag routines for checking injector flow rates but if you are looking for bench testing and cleaning you might as well spend the 800 dollars from FCPEuro and buy the bosh or delphi injectors as the labor involved for taking them out, cleaning them and reinstalling is almost as costly, at least that has been my observation for the EU6 injectors.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 06:02 PM   #8
6ixcommas
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
ISTA has diag routines for checking injector flow rates but if you are looking for bench testing and cleaning you might as well spend the 800 dollars from FCPEuro and buy the bosh or delphi injectors as the labor involved for taking them out, cleaning them and reinstalling is almost as costly, at least that has been my observation for the EU6 injectors.
I feel like I don’t mind taking it to the dealer for injectors as they are still under extended warranty. When I change the spark plug on the cylinder that’s giving me issues would I be able to smell fuel on it ?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 10:13 PM   #9
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
I feel like I don’t mind taking it to the dealer for injectors as they are still under extended warranty. When I change the spark plug on the cylinder that’s giving me issues would I be able to smell fuel on it ?
Honestly I would visually asses. If t is a dark black to glossy black then it is likely running rich. Fuel dumps on this area as normal part of the combustion cycle so you could very well catch a cylinder that just had fuel injected in on it and shut off before the spark and would smell of fuel.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vis, CCB, RKAutowerks (CP Rods/Pistons, DI Cams, CF Intakes, Coated DP's & Billet Diff Brace), InfinityAuto Turbo Inlets, Mishi Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3, BM S3
Appreciate 0