M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

11-14-2021, 03:16 PM   #67
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Appreciate everyone's feedback. I was made aware of the possibility of diff wine as speed increases and the clunk from park to first from GAW. They also said how loud the wine sound would be was dependent on the given vehicles diff wear. My car is catless with a full Meistershaft GTC system so I'm guessing I wont hear too much. If I heard it over the exhaust I would have to consider a install error like bmwmike89 said. TBD though.

I too am okay with minimal noise increase for the piece of mind that my axle/diff are secure. I just don't want it be a dreading sound you pay attention to the whole drive. My previous m6gc was stage 2+ w/o an upgraded brace and I was fine (or lucky). However I plan to go a little further with my current m6gc so decided to get the brace for a piece of mind if you will. And to add, the craftsmanship of the GAW brace is definitely A1!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 06:00 PM   #68
MNhv
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Can someone post a video of what the added noise from the GAW mount sounds like in the cabin?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 07:07 PM   #69
Bmyguy88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M6, 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNhv View Post
Can someone post a video of what the added noise from the GAW mount sounds like in the cabin?
Someone else sent me a DM and asked this. I tried to do it with my phone and it doesn't even pick it up with the volume turned all they way up.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 09:35 PM   #70
dhm118
Private
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

RK Autowerks is running a pretty crazy black friday deal on their diff braces. $1105 or something and it utilizes the stock bushing so there isn't any extra vibration. Wish I got mine for this price lol.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2022, 01:45 PM   #71
Flo1989
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

I wanted to share some feedback on the GAW brace if anyone is still on the fence about their option vs competitors.

Originally I didn't plan on getting mine installed until Spring but I lucked up and was able to sneak the car out on a 40 degree clear day here in NE Ohio. I reiterated to my local shop how important it was to follow the instructions, specifically the TQ specs. I even gave them GAW phone number in case they ran into any issues with the install.

Two hours later I get a call that the brace is mounted and with zero issues. I pick the car up and immediately go for a drive (25 miles in total) to listen for the potential differential whine. And what do I hear? Absolutely nothing. Nothing different whatsoever. Radio off, windows up, down, city driving, highway speeds (up to 130mph) and no diff whine noise at all. Now I want to mention that my M6 is catless with Meistershafts SGT system and Project Gamma intakes. So it's not necessarily quiet in the cabin to begin with. So for you stock guys, you may or may not hear anything. But I can't imagine it would be loud. And if so, I'd say its one of two things based on these diff threads and convo's with GAW; 1. Improper install or 2. High differential wear. In my case, my car only has 25k miles in which 24.5k were stock and the car was not abused. So that's something to consider as well. I honestly don't even hear the "clunk" some reported from P to D. I don't think I'm going deaf? My ears are still relatively young at 32, lol. One thing I did notice, which for me was a bonus, was that the shifts feel slightly more aggressive and firm. This was only noticeable on WOT while in Sport+ and shift level 3, though.

So as I'm sure you've imagined, no complaints with the brace & I would recommend it to anyone in the market.

Couple pics;

Appreciate 1
BBHMM33.00
      01-10-2022, 06:11 PM   #72
TinCanSailor
Fueled by Recycled Dinosaurs!
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F06 M6

Garage List
Anyone find a replacement for the stock diff support bushing?
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2022, 06:10 PM   #73
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
If you are concerned with the use of hard poly/delrin bushings or if if you think you stock bushing is worn or beyond it's service life from age or from driving habits; I would suggest waiting on this mod. I love my brace but the GAW brace is a complete kit that will help you out right away with your high HP build.

So the issue is that BMW does not sell this bushing a la carte so you'd have to buy a brand new brace to the tune of $450 USD and extract that bushing or risk using a bushing from a salvaged car. You really won't know the state of your bushing without getting under the car and begin the removal of the brace.

My indie shop is trying to source a suitable replacement for my bushing. The problem is no one makes one spec'd for the F1x chassis M cars so they are going to buy one they found to be close to test fit. It may need to be milled down a bit to get it pressed in.

If this works out please rest assured I'll pass along the contact info for the shop for y'all to consult with. If you all have any solution recommendations please let me know. I am hoping to find something that is more of an OEM feel but I am willing to give up some of that for a bit more durability.
2015 F06 M6 Silverstone Metallic II, Individual Full Leather, B&O, Night Vision, CCB, RKAutowerks Forged Rods/Pistons & E85 DI Exhaust Cams,Carbon Fiber CAI & Billet Diff Brace, Infinity Design CF Turbo Inlets, Swaintech Coated DPs, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, JB4, XHP S3 Flash, Bootmod3
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2022, 11:37 PM   #74
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
If you are concerned with the use of hard poly/delrin bushings or if if you think you stock bushing is worn or beyond it's service life from age or from driving habits; I would suggest waiting on this mod. I love my brace but the GAW brace is a complete kit that will help you out right away with your high HP build.

So the issue is that BMW does not sell this bushing a la carte so you'd have to buy a brand new brace to the tune of $450 USD and extract that bushing or risk using a bushing from a salvaged car. You really won't know the state of your bushing without getting under the car and begin the removal of the brace.

My indie shop is trying to source a suitable replacement for my bushing. The problem is no one makes one spec'd for the F1x chassis M cars so they are going to buy one they found to be close to test fit. It may need to be milled down a bit to get it pressed in.

If this works out please rest assured I'll pass along the contact info for the shop for y'all to consult with. If you all have any solution recommendations please let me know. I am hoping to find something that is more of an OEM feel but I am willing to give up some of that for a bit more durability.
I am surprised that there isn't aftermarket one out there. I am with you, I for sure don't want delrin, I am fine with poly bushing as any company they make one probably can probably get something harder than stock but not nearly stiff as delrin. So far I feel like RK is the way to go as long as you can find replacement OEM or something closer to. I don't want to give up on the comfort
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 07:58 AM   #75
Bmyguy88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M6, 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
I am surprised that there isn't aftermarket one out there. I am with you, I for sure don't want delrin, I am fine with poly bushing as any company they make one probably can probably get something harder than stock but not nearly stiff as delrin. So far I feel like RK is the way to go as long as you can find replacement OEM or something closer to. I don't want to give up on the comfort
It's seems more then a few people now have posted regarding their stock bushing failed or has been compromised. When I spoke about it everyone seemed to disregard it as not possible or not happening. It seems GAW was at least right in that aspect of their testing stating the oem bushing won't stand up to the abuse. I do know GAW states they were looking into another bushing option for their bracket for all the people who whined about not wanting noise increase. But in my eyes it comfort vs performance. You give up one to get the other plain and simple.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2022, 01:31 PM   #76
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmyguy88 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyinp View Post
It's seems more then a few people now have posted regarding their stock bushing failed or has been compromised. When I spoke about it everyone seemed to disregard it as not possible or not happening. It seems GAW was at least right in that aspect of their testing stating the oem bushing won't stand up to the abuse. I do know GAW states they were looking into another bushing option for their bracket for all the people who whined about not wanting noise increase. But in my eyes it comfort vs performance. You give up one to get the other plain and simple.
I have yet to see picture of failed bushing. GAW putting screwdriver doesn't represent the direction of stress OEM bushing sees in the car. I had my fair of running Delrin bushings, I am not going to do it again. We all make a choice and what we want to compromise in expensive of something else. For me personally OEM type is must.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 02:04 PM   #77
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Once I get mine out and a suitable replacement in I'll get some pics. At first glance it looks helathy but once you start pulling things away you see where it may be an issue at some point in the future.

Mine hasn't failed but it does feel dried out and compromised by age and heat. I like my car too much to turn a blind eye to it and to have discovered that I had a leak in my front diff seal was warning enough for me to lay off jack rabbit starts and such.

If I can't find a suitable bushing; I'll list my rk diff brace for someone that might have a newer diff bushing or they are willing to buy a new diff brace to and use that bushing.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 11:04 PM   #78
crazyinp
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW X5e  [0.00]
2023 BMW X5M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinCanSailor View Post
Once I get mine out and a suitable replacement in I'll get some pics. At first glance it looks helathy but once you start pulling things away you see where it may be an issue at some point in the future.

Mine hasn't failed but it does feel dried out and compromised by age and heat. I like my car too much to turn a blind eye to it and to have discovered that I had a leak in my front diff seal was warning enough for me to lay off jack rabbit starts and such.

If I can't find a suitable bushing; I'll list my rk diff brace for someone that might have a newer diff bushing or they are willing to buy a new diff brace to and use that bushing.
Once you take it out, take some measurements mainly on the OD and the bolt hole.
Appreciate 1
      04-20-2023, 04:23 AM   #79
kelvin12382003
Enlisted Member
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E66 750LI

Hello All

can I buy this anywhere?

thanks

kelvin
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2023, 05:55 PM   #80
TinCanSailor
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
I have the RKAutowerks diff brace which requires you to reuse your current bushing so depending on the age/wear it might not be a good option. If you can find a cost permissive barely used diff brace to salvage the bushing from then RK's diff brace is a great option. www.rkautowerks.com

Checkout GermanAutoWerks on IG or FB. I do not have the GAW diff but since their diff bushing is a field replaceable unit I think it is the best way to go.

https://www.instagram.com/germanautowerks3/
https://www.facebook.com/germanautowerks3

1391 Industrial Dr, Lake in the Hills, IL 60156.
Germanautowerks3@gmail.com
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2023, 09:18 AM   #81
zelhawli
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw m5 f10, c63s, vf gts,clk63

hello any left?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2023, 04:38 AM   #82
propernorf
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 M5 F10

Any chance you guys still selling those?
Appreciate 0