M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Wheels | Tires | Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

12-07-2023, 02:47 AM   #1
Smithydxb
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 30 Jahre

Comp Pack Suspension Parts vs Base

Hi Guy’s,

I’ve picked up a new-to-me, 30 Jahre and have been looking at what needs to be done to get it fresh again.

I’m on front suspension at the minute and having a nightmare determining what parts are actually required.

Despite searching forums and the web forever, I’m getting conflicting answers on what parts are needed.

I was going to get a kit from FCP Euro, but when i spoke to them, they said, despite their site saying it would fit, that I actually needed different parts, which of course, were over double the cost.

I’m talking suspension arms, control arms, tie rods, links, sway bar/stabilizer bar etc…

I know the Jahre is based off a Comp Pack, so I understand the springs and shock itself are different to base, but I’ve seen countless posts of people saying the above parts are all the same as a base M5 as they are on the Comp cars (would make sense from an R&D and production point of view), but obviously FCP have searched based off my VIN and said otherwise.

I’m assuming Base parts would fit no issues, but i’m unsure whether they would make any difference to the setup?

Basic question is, can i buy the kit from them and have no issues, or is there something materially different in the “Comp Pack” parts that differs to the normal M5 parts for the above listed items? (I know the sway/stabilizer bar is different).

I’m in the UAE so shipping things half way around the world for them not to fit/work isn’t really an option. My local options here are more than double the more expensive FCP list i got, so that’s definitely not an option for me, especially if i can just get the normal base parts and work with them.

Any input appreciated

Cheers
Appreciate 1
M5Rick60079.50
      12-07-2023, 06:31 AM   #2
M5Rick
General
Rep
Drives: M5 F10 DCT Gunmetal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithydxb View Post
Hi Guy’s,

I’ve picked up a new-to-me, 30 Jahre and have been looking at what needs to be done to get it fresh again.

I’m on front suspension at the minute and having a nightmare determining what parts are actually required.

Despite searching forums and the web forever, I’m getting conflicting answers on what parts are needed.

I was going to get a kit from FCP Euro, but when i spoke to them, they said, despite their site saying it would fit, that I actually needed different parts, which of course, were over double the cost.

I’m talking suspension arms, control arms, tie rods, links, sway bar/stabilizer bar etc…

I know the Jahre is based off a Comp Pack, so I understand the springs and shock itself are different to base, but I’ve seen countless posts of people saying the above parts are all the same as a base M5 as they are on the Comp cars (would make sense from an R&D and production point of view), but obviously FCP have searched based off my VIN and said otherwise.

I’m assuming Base parts would fit no issues, but i’m unsure whether they would make any difference to the setup?

Basic question is, can i buy the kit from them and have no issues, or is there something materially different in the “Comp Pack” parts that differs to the normal M5 parts for the above listed items? (I know the sway/stabilizer bar is different).

I’m in the UAE so shipping things half way around the world for them not to fit/work isn’t really an option. My local options here are more than double the more expensive FCP list i got, so that’s definitely not an option for me, especially if i can just get the normal base parts and work with them.

Any input appreciated

Cheers
I've looked at the parts lists also and it can be confusing with the prices and types.
On top of that we are advised by a guy who works in a US BMW Service dealership and someone who replaced his worn suspension arms with genuine M parts to only buy BMW parts which are 'M' stamped, they also have an eye watering price more than FCP etc.
It may be worth your while getting just the genuine Comp suspension arm 'inserts' and having an engineering shop press fit them in but first if they actually need replacing, it's not easy determining that on the multi link suspension.
You can start with just the easier to replace front anti-roll bar links which tend to be the first things to wear out then work your way up as per needed.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 02:00 PM   #3
M5Rick
General
Rep

* Ball joints wear out on these and these should be available (I've changed them out on my classic P-car with a simple ball joint puller.
As far as bushings go if they are not avail' from BMW then firms like Turner motorsports offer
a thrust arm monoball set.
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...arm-monoballs/
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2023, 10:32 PM   #4
Smithydxb
Registered
Rep

Thanks for the quick replies. Replacing the bushes/ball joints isnÂ’t something I fancy doing. They are only supposed to be changed once as the housing for them can deform and IÂ’ve no idea whether previous owner has done this in the past already.

I dont mind replacing everything and if itÂ’s going to cost a fortune, then so be it.

I just cant believe they would have made separate parts such as control arms/suspension arms. Some people have suggested the actual bushes are the difference, with the M5 ones being solid rubber and others being oil filled.

No one over here in the Middle East seems to advocate pressing new bushes. This was the same with my Cayenne Turbo & Range Rover, we just replaced them whole setup, which was surprisingly cost effective on both.

Long story short, if these specific components are different to the standard ones for the M cars, iÂ’lll suck it up and replace with the FCP parts. I was just trying to establish if that was the case as there are so many people saying the exact opposite to each other.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 03:51 AM   #5
M5Rick
General
Rep

If there are no knocks or odd noises then I'd leave alone, on mine when the front tyres were well under half worn the car felt odd so I replaced the fronts with fresh ones and the M returned to that sharper tight feeling with more comfort.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2023, 04:57 AM   #6
Smithydxb
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
If there are no knocks or odd noises then I'd leave alone, on mine when the front tyres were well under half worn the car felt odd so I replaced the fronts with fresh ones and the M returned to that sharper tight feeling with more comfort.
Front tyres are new, so no issues there.

I’ve had it up on a ramp and inspected it, the bushes are starting to crack (not horrendous) and there’s a bit of play.

Also a pretty distinct squeak when going over speed bumps, which is what led me to check in the first place.
Appreciate 0