08-08-2019, 11:54 AM   #1
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5

Bootmod3=Blown motor-Change my mind

Ok ok months ago i went into detail about why and how bm3 is bad news

simple reasoning.. its just too damn cheap (u get what u pay for, don't debate me on this because your efforts will be futile and I'll go ahead and cut it off at the head and say yes I understand there's always exceptions, but - u. get. what. you. pay. for.)

detailed reasoning.. OTS (off the shelf) maps uploaded anonymously for download with no accountability, responsibility, support backup or care about what the tune will do to the motor.

and then the whole ability to switch from one map to the next to the next back to stock and then to another map back-and-forth ...just dumb .. bad for everything

change my mind .. but really i just want to hear about some motors that HAVENT been blown with bm3 ...or werent blown driving the dogshit out of it and letting it get way too hot

bc so far we have about 6 bm3 blown motors on the forum in the past 6 months and the other ones that werent bm3 users admitted to abusing the motor.. to my recollection

Last edited by BeachM5nster; 08-08-2019 at 07:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 03:36 PM   #2
mister2d
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachM5nster View Post

simple reasoning.. its just too damn cheap (u get what u pay for, don't debate me on this because your efforts will be futile and I'll go ahead and cut it off at the head and say yes I understand there's always exceptions, but - u. get. what. you. pay. for.)

detailed reasoning.. OTS (off the shelf) maps uploaded anonymously for download with no accountability, responsibility, support backup or care about what the tune will do to the motor.

and then the whole ability to switch from one map to the next to the next back to stock and then to another map back-and-forth ...just dumb .. bad for everything

change my mind .. but really i just want to hear about some motors that HAVENT been blown with bm3 ...or werent blown driving the dogshit out of it and letting it get way too hot

bc so far we have about 6 bm3 blown motors on the forum in the past 6 months and the other ones that werent bm3 users admitted to abusing the motor..
I wonder if it has something to do with changing the gap of the spark plugs.
Appreciate 1
      08-08-2019, 04:49 PM   #3
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mister2d View Post
I wonder if it has something to do with changing the gap of the spark plugs.
incorrect gaps can lead to misfires yea 100% or maaaybe a lean code or other things idk everything

but thats not whats blowing motors.. irresponsible careless tunes by who knows who uploaded for OTS maps for use by whoever dumb enough to trust a phantom tuner's tune .. example: with the boost psi way too high to shit like 800wtq?l lol GTFOH!! lol. the well known limit for our stock dct is 600-650wtq

its real easy to bend a rod with a careless tune. we get peak torque @~1800rpm. so just boost it too high.. and floor it from a stand still.. boom bent rod.. or at any time under any load ..boom cylinder jumps out.

its horrible tunes from a cheap app with no one to be accountable.. so if i was a tuner why not have fun and upload crazy stupid motor exploding tunes for some moron with a $120k msrp car to download and thinks he is gonna kill the game with 200-300 horses for $500.. i mean: duh, no

i knew my data(to my knowledge)and got offered a flash tune from a bmw engineer thru a guy with connections. 750hp- 600tq.. so i knew it was legit bc numbers were within safe range.. oh and it's $3500..

Last edited by BeachM5nster; 08-09-2019 at 03:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 01:36 AM   #4
Dwaynos
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Monte Carlo Blue

You're right when you mention OTS tunes. You never know who makes them but I was lead to believe that the bm3 OTS tunes were half decent.

I'm a big believer of you get what you pay for but $3500 for a tune? Some people just take the piss and think they can charge what they want because it's an M5.

Theres a company in the UK called Evolve. They are charging less than £1000 for their tunes now and they are very very good, I don't have one yet but hopefully soon. They owned an F10 M5 running around 750bhp and did multiple days on the drag strip going against some very exotic cars and beating alot of them. Their car was launched from 0-200mph many times, driven very hard on the track and the engine survived it all.

It goes to show you really can get a tune for less than £1000 and it be reliable. Not saying that bm3 is, but being cheap doesn't mean its necessarily bad, although I must admit I've also started to notice a theme with bm3 and engine failures.
Appreciate 2
      08-09-2019, 03:48 AM   #5
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwaynos View Post
You're right when you mention OTS tunes. You never know who makes them but I was lead to believe that the bm3 OTS tunes were half decent.

I'm a big believer of you get what you pay for but $3500 for a tune? Some people just take the piss and think they can charge what they want because it's an M5.

Theres a company in the UK called Evolve. They are charging less than £1000 for their tunes now and they are very very good, I don't have one yet but hopefully soon. They owned an F10 M5 running around 750bhp and did multiple days on the drag strip going against some very exotic cars and beating alot of them. Their car was launched from 0-200mph many times, driven very hard on the track and the engine survived it all.

It goes to show you really can get a tune for less than £1000 and it be reliable. Not saying that bm3 is, but being cheap doesn't mean its necessarily bad, although I must admit I've also started to notice a theme with bm3 and engine failures.
yea ive been paying attn to bm3+blown motor for a while now.
bent rods and piston departures

im not saying u cant get an economical tune.. but $500 and u do it yourself, whatever u feel like depending on day .. on this car.. nah

the tune im planning on will cost me $1800 all in with new plugs and im not saying which so i dont seem bias or like this thread is anything more than a warning and i told ya so about bm3

the $3500 tune is a legit flash tune from bmw engineer in germany. id have to get to shop first thing in the am bc of the time difference for it to be done via internet. its very appealing bc i know itll be quality

but im waiting for cooler weather to get tuned bc itll be irresistible to drive once its done and its hot as balls and u lose like ~50 horses in hot weather
and heat is bad

so im being a smart boy and waiting
Appreciate 2
      08-09-2019, 08:58 AM   #6
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

OpenFlash who might jump from car to car selling tunes but they at least own and develop their tunes on the cars they are developed for.

The price well as you know around $900 which is market value for a stage 1 tune.

Paying $3500 for a tune no matter where its from is dumb if its just a generic tune, unless the tune is written in real time whilst your car is on a dyno and hours are spent personalising every data point then its generic.

I do trust openflash as they always state they dont chase numbers for the sake of having the highest on the market.

I also felt confident that I was able to datalog from the OFT tablet and they then checked data like the air/fuel mixture is correct

I maybe wrong but I have not heard of an OpenFlash tune blowing up engines, certain people didnt like the Stage 1 V2 version

Maybe anything more than a Stage 1 on the S63 engine is pushing it.

Dont think that paying $3500 for a tune means its a good tune, it doesnt. So the engineer is from Germany and is linked to BMW..... what exactly does that even mean, probably nothing if you really asked a lot more questions.

As Dwaynos said Evolve maps are proven again and again and there are probably very few people in the UK who have the experience and development time with an M5 S63 engine and their maps are $900

Last edited by OneExtra; 08-19-2019 at 09:44 AM..
Appreciate 2
      08-09-2019, 09:36 AM   #7
nothingbutspeed
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 Stage 3 E85 Audi RS3

I too went with OpenFlash after finding out they would rather remain on the conservative side as well, plus for DD use it is plenty for the streets.

I'm not pinpointing Bootmod, but it is interesting that I have read several stories of BM3 cars blowing up...If I were to go BM3 I would use HCP...
Appreciate 1
kong24680252.00
      08-09-2019, 12:36 PM   #8
SoCal550
Rep
Drives: BMW 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingbutspeed View Post
I too went with OpenFlash after finding out they would rather remain on the conservative side as well, plus for DD use it is plenty for the streets.

I'm not pinpointing Bootmod, but it is interesting that I have read several stories of BM3 cars blowing up...If I were to go BM3 I would use HCP...
What is HCP?

I am thinking of getting boot mod 3 as well for my 2016 550 but I am scared to death of the engine blowing up and BMW not honoring the warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 01:30 PM   #9
Pikey Motorsports
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Hcp writes the bootmod3 maps.. with bootmod3 the ideal is to flash the ots log the car send the logs off if something isn’t good it will be corrected.. the reason why bm3 is cheap is because they sell so god damn many licenses, nothing to do with quality

Halim is known to be the best tuner for this platform writes the maps and also dme the only 2 tuners who myself and many people will let touch there cars

Nobody else is tuning these cars these days not in big numbers anyway
Appreciate 4
      08-09-2019, 01:31 PM   #10
nothingbutspeed
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 Stage 3 E85 Audi RS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal550 View Post
What is HCP?

I am thinking of getting boot mod 3 as well for my 2016 550 but I am scared to death of the engine blowing up and BMW not honoring the warranty.
Custom tuning through BM3 from my understanding.

Check out carbahn autoworks or Dinan if you're worried about warranty as their tune can still honor factory warranty.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2019, 01:36 PM   #11
jairomvp182
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 X3MC

Quote:

bc so far we have about 6 bm3 blown motors on the forum in the past 6 months and the other ones that werent bm3 users admitted to abusing the motor.. to my recollection
i seen more blown m5 with so many different tunes, cheap doesnt mean bad, stupid is paying M tax on parts, Halim has a very good reputation so i guess you have to do more homework.
11 E92 335xi 12.5@113MPH,362whp/438wtq GONE http://www.youtube.com/c/jairomvp
Instagram:Jairomvp
Appreciate 4
      08-09-2019, 01:36 PM   #12
carlitosgomesm5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

To this point to say that it’s Bm3 blowing up engines is not right as there are blown up engines stock and non stock alike tuned by other known tunes.
There was someone I know that blew his engine just doing donuts. Also I believe the OTS maps that are available are done by Halim I believe who is HCP who is very reputable and can create a custom map for you car for extra loading it via BM3.
Stock cars and tuned cars no matter who is doing it can blow up to say is BM3 at fault is not right, but you all entitled to an opinion I just don’t thing is right say it’s this platform the culprit.
Appreciate 7
      08-09-2019, 01:39 PM   #13
Pikey Motorsports
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

I tell you something you go to a tuner pay 3k for a map he will probably be loading you somebody else tune anyway and then mess around On the road with it for an hour send the log off to the place where it came from in the 1st place and let them email them a file back

Lol

This is why you go hcp/dme
Appreciate 2
      08-09-2019, 03:49 PM   #14
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneExtra View Post
Paying $3500 for a tune no matter where its from is dumb if its just a generic tune, unless the tune is written in real time whilst your car is on a dyno and hours are spent personalising every data point then its generic.

good point. ive seen that done on tavarish's channel so im familiar but id expect that to be maybe a lil more like $5k.. that guy was good that tuned his highly modified with twin turbos gallardo

i know of no place near me like that.. that i know of. southeast usa
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 03:56 PM   #15
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal550 View Post
What is HCP?

i dinan stage 2'd a 550 and after 3k miles it blew an ignition coil and had a cpl bad spark plugs and then started leaking a lil oil.. im sure 16s are better tho

by the way i am not saying anything about any tuners..

just the anonymous OTS maps.. that are anonymous to my knowledge

either way No one has called any names in their blown engine reports I'm just adding together bootmod3 and blown engine but running OTS maps has been stated

its really just tunes push the envelope... all of them .. but some more so than others.. just doing math
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2019, 04:28 PM   #16
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikey Motorsports View Post
Hcp writes the bootmod3 maps.. with bootmod3 the ideal is to flash the ots log the car send the logs off if something isn’t good it will be corrected.. the reason why bm3 is cheap is because they sell so god damn many licenses, nothing to do with quality

Halim is known to be the best tuner for this platform writes the maps and also dme the only 2 tuners who myself and many people will let touch there cars

Nobody else is tuning these cars these days not in big numbers anyway
reminder: im not slamming anyone personally. and i also mentioned that the freedom the end user has to jump around from map to map is not healthy in my humble opinion
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2019, 05:45 PM   #17
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

I know
When I'm ready for my tune, I'm going to DME here in Nj. Car gets put on a dyno and he tunes it to the specific vehicle with me present.
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2019, 08:28 PM   #18
carlitosgomesm5
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i dinan stage 2'd a 550 and after 3k miles it blew an ignition coil and had a cpl bad spark plugs and then started leaking a lil oil.. im sure 16s are better tho

by the way i am not saying anything about any tuners..

just the anonymous OTS maps.. that are anonymous to my knowledge

either way No one has called any names in their blown engine reports I'm just adding together bootmod3 and blown engine but running OTS maps has been stated

its really just tunes push the envelope... all of them .. but some more so than others.. just doing math
bud as i and another member mentioned the OTS maps at least for our M5s are done by Halim who is HCP. He is regarded along side DME the best tuners out there and really know what they are doing. you can in fact work with either of them on customizing the tune for your own mods that you have BM3 or none alike.
Appreciate 1
      08-09-2019, 08:48 PM   #19
BeachM5nster
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireM5 View Post
I know
When I'm ready for my tune, I'm going to DME here in Nj. Car gets put on a dyno and he tunes it to the specific vehicle with me present.
do they drill into the DME's or OBD2 ?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 08:51 PM   #20
SapphireM5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 Sapphire Black

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireM5 View Post
I know
They go through OBD2.
'13 Black Sapphire Metallic - BPM Stage 1 Tune - RPI Exhaust - KW HAS Kit - 12mm spacers all around- Carbon Fiber front lip - High Kick Trunk Spoiler - Rear Roof Spoiler - IND Kidney and Fender Grills - 20% Tint all around 50% Front Windshield - PPF
Appreciate 1
      08-10-2019, 02:22 AM   #21
Mr. M6
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M6

Garage List
2014 BMW M6 F06  [9.25]
Quote:
who is drilling the DME these days ?? everyone unlocking the DME by OBD2 now, you have alot of wrong information and i think you want to pay $3-5k for a tune, go ahead and share logs and vbox times lets see your special tune
      08-10-2019, 05:58 AM   #22
OneExtra
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
You clearly have no idea about tuning, you come on here posting about how BM3 are responsible for blowing engines and in reality don’t even know the basics.

If I was you I would sell the M5 and buy a bicycle
Appreciate 7
Mcc420473.50
Rennyk.126.50
FSociety3810.00
G80_Jef20.50
M5Noob73.50