M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

10-18-2022, 01:05 PM   #89
emaniat
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by icesupreme View Post
Looks like the government has now allowed these to go live on road. May be dealership can code them in for you as an alternative.
My dealership said they would have to call in BMW engineers and coders at the same time and do calibrations. etc… they said it would be cost prohibitive…
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 12:37 PM   #90
Robs335iproblems
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F30 340xi M-Sport

I'd like to add some feedback from my experience with adaptive LED headlights and GFHB. For reference, I own a 2014 F10 M5, 2015 F33 435 and 2018 F10 440, all with adaptive LED headlights.

For anyone that has been at this for a while, there are VLD and GFHB cheat codes for the F30 platform that exist on Esys and other forums. For VLD, the one method that I know for certain works, is actually updating the VO by removing S8S4 and then coding the LED light modules and FRM/FEM. That will eliminate the Decoding VLD option code from the VO and after VO coding, the affected modules will be updated with all of the required changes.

The cheat sheets for GFHB require a number of changes in the actual LED modules. It's certainly possible that BimmerCode (which I use), contains all of the affected lines, however, without actually seeing it, I'm not certain if it's full-proof or not. I'd want the BimmerCode folks to comment on whether or not it does everything that's been outlined on the cheat sheets.

Onto my cars. I've VO coded my F33 for VLD by removing S8S4, coding the proper modules and it works perfectly as described in the OP's post. I've done the same for my F30 with similar results. I haven't done my F10 yet, however, I expect to have the same outcome.

Onto GFHB. I've coded my F33, using ESYS, by changing the dozen or so lines per the cheat sheets. I can report that the lights dance all over the road when there is oncoming traffic and when I begin following someone. However, the 'tunnel', is mushy at best. I can see that the system is more than likely doing something to create the feature, but it doesn't do it very well. Now my F30. Reading a number of posts, I can confirm that the ECE headlights are in fact different. Therefore, I ordered and swapped my US headlights for a set of ECE headlights and coded them per the following. I changed the Type Code of my vehicle from US to the closest EU version. The type code is the 4 character code assigned to a vehicle type (realoem will list the typecode when you pick the version of your car). After changing the type code, I then coded both of the LED headlight modules such that they are functioning per the ECE standards. It's the same module and only needed different coding. Where others have changed some of the options in the FEM/FRM, I did not. Once done, the GFHB functions exactly as per the BMW videos. The 'tunnel' is just about as sharp as it can get and I can watch the tunnel follow along when cars approach and when I begin to follow someone else. Seeing the difference between my F33 and my F30, was pretty stark. Seeing the sharp tunnel as you're driving is waaaay cool.

Therefore, I feel very, very certain that the US headlights, also being a different part number, are missing the shutters to create the sharp lines of the light tunnel. While I do believe that all other features may be functioning and it may work good enough, the sharp tunnel, which is an important feature for GFHB to function, will not work as intended/designed.

Therefore, for my F10, I plan on removing the S8S4 from the VO and then coding the few ECU's, making for certain that the VLD option is working as it's designed to do. For NGHB, I'm going to be on the lookout for ECE headlights to see if I can purchase a set, install and then code with the ECE options, similar to what I did on my F10. If/when I finally make that investment, which is quite costly, I'll be happy to report back to the forum on my level of success/failure.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 12:58 PM   #91
Blue Angel
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 323i and 2016 535d

Very much looking forward to your reports on the F10!

I’ve verified that all electronics modules are the same part numbers between EU and US/Canada models, only the headlight housings are different.

IIRC there are three different headlight configurations for LCI Adaptive LED cars; LHD North America, LHD Europe, and RHD.

My coding feedback is posted earlier (Canada 2016 F10), but in a nutshell VLD seems to mainly affect the left headlamp (lowers and moves left) with a barely noticeable effect, and the GFHB is as you described for your F33; a soft “tunnel” effect that’s poorly defined and does irritate some oncoming traffic.
Appreciate 0