M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Mechanical Maintenance - Break-in, Oil, Fluids, Servicing, Etc.

12-19-2021, 12:56 AM   #1
SoCal_M6
Rep
Drives: BMW F13 M6

Coolant Condenser Cracked, Help please!

Hallo everyone,

I noticed that my Coolant condenser was spraying out coolant after I parked at home today. It is the one located inside of the front lower grill, and I believe this is the one belong to DME cooling system. The coolant stopped spray after like 30 mins after I parked the car, and I believe the DME coolant tank is empty at this moment.

So my question is what does this DME coolant system do? and will any part will be damaged in this situation, such as turbo?

I plan to take my car to the dealer next morning and also wondering to know since it is the secondary coolant system, so can I drive my car slowly to the dealer which is like 3 miles away from me?

Any suggestion would be help, thank you every one!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2021, 12:59 AM   #2
SoCal_M6
Rep

Sorry I haven't add the car information here. The car is a 2013 M6. I like the M5 forum, because you guys are more active. thank you very much!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 09:03 AM   #3
ruben356
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6 _ San Marino Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_M6 View Post
Hallo everyone,

I noticed that my Coolant condenser was spraying out coolant after I parked at home today. It is the one located inside of the front lower grill, and I believe this is the one belong to DME cooling system. The coolant stopped spray after like 30 mins after I parked the car, and I believe the DME coolant tank is empty at this moment.

So my question is what does this DME coolant system do? and will any part will be damaged in this situation, such as turbo?

I plan to take my car to the dealer next morning and also wondering to know since it is the secondary coolant system, so can I drive my car slowly to the dealer which is like 3 miles away from me?

Any suggestion would be help, thank you every one!
The DME cooling is part of the Charge air coolers loop. So besides the DME it cools down the air going into the engine. I'm sure by now you took it to the dealer but driving 3 miles would've been fine. The system builds pressure which is why it was spraying, but i don't think driving 3 miles would damage anything else. Hopefully you let the car cool down and the drive it cold, i don't think it would even get up to normal temperature in 3 miles. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2022, 11:16 PM   #4
SoCal_M6
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruben356 View Post
The DME cooling is part of the Charge air coolers loop. So besides the DME it cools down the air going into the engine. I'm sure by now you took it to the dealer but driving 3 miles would've been fine. The system builds pressure which is why it was spraying, but i don't think driving 3 miles would damage anything else. Hopefully you let the car cool down and the drive it cold, i don't think it would even get up to normal temperature in 3 miles. Good luck.
Thank you so much for your reply friend. I bought a very long chopstick and some black silicon. I used paper towel to clean it and tapped with some black silicon to seal it. I topped off the coolant and it worked pretty well for 3 miles
Appreciate 1