M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

03-04-2014, 10:45 AM   #1
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Bang and Olufsen vs Harman Kordon

Has anyone listened them back to back? Is the Harman Kordon in M5 same as the base system in 535? How do they compare overall? If you don't listen your music in high volume, can you tell them apart or is the difference worth 3700? So relatively speaking, the 2200 entertainment screen option is considered to be a waste of money by a lot of people. Does B&O fall under that category?

95% of the time when I drive, my wife and daughter are in the car with me, so I can never keep the volume higher than 15-20%. No doubt the B&O is astonishing when you go above 50%, but in my use case, I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the price premium.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 10:50 AM   #2
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
I think it depends on if you are an audiophile or not. For me, the option wasn't worth it. Most of the time I listen to Sirius/XM and that isn't broadcast in HD, so the B&O system wouldn't really sound that much better.

Lately I have been streaming music from my phone to the car when I drive and I definitely notice a difference in quality. The streaming music is much better than Sirius/XM. However, my commute is really short, so the Harmon Kardon system is just fine for me.

We have the B&O in our 750Li, but that is because we bought it as a left over '13 off of the lot and got a great deal on the car. It isn't an option that I put high on my priority list, but again, it really depends on how much you like music.

With wife and daughter in the car most of the time, I'm guessing it isn't worth the money for the option.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 10:53 AM   #3
RealStig
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GNALUZU View Post
I think it depends on if you are an audiophile or not. For me, the option wasn't worth it. Most of the time I listen to Sirius/XM and that isn't broadcast in HD, so the B&O system wouldn't really sound that much better.

Lately I have been streaming music from my phone to the car when I drive and I definitely notice a difference in quality. The streaming music is much better than Sirius/XM. However, my commute is really short, so the Harmon Kardon system is just fine for me.

We have the B&O in our 750Li, but that is because we bought it as a left over '13 off of the lot and got a great deal on the car. It isn't an option that I put high on my priority list, but again, it really depends on how much you like music.

With wife and daughter in the car most of the time, I'm guessing it isn't worth the money for the option.
Yeah, this is what I think as well.

How is the bass in the HK? Is it a decent system? Is it the same HK system in 535 or 335?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 10:59 AM   #4
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig View Post
Has anyone listened them back to back? Is the Harman Kordon in M5 same as the base system in 535? How do they compare overall? If you don't listen your music in high volume, can you tell them apart or is the difference worth 3700? So relatively speaking, the 2200 entertainment screen option is considered to be a waste of money by a lot of people. Does B&O fall under that category?

95% of the time when I drive, my wife and daughter are in the car with me, so I can never keep the volume higher than 15-20%. No doubt the B&O is astonishing when you go above 50%, but in my use case, I'm trying to figure out if it's worth the price premium.

Thanks.
I honestly think if you ask this question then you should skip it. The base system in the M5 is the HK upgrade in many other models including the F80 M3.

I personally always buy the best sound available... but there is a breaking point! For example would I pay $7000 for Burmeister sound on a 3 year S63 lease? I don't know.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 11:12 AM   #5
Hoopumpers
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Garage List
73 911 RSR  [0.00]
04 996 Cup  [0.00]
06 997 Cup  [0.00]
12 Boxster Spyder ( ...  [0.00]
15 Sierra HD Denali  [0.00]
16 GT3RS  [0.00]
17 Radical SR3  [0.00]
18 Model X  [0.00]
18 GT350R  [0.00]
19 M2 Comp  [0.00]
Bass is a huge difference between the two options. B&O is (reasonably) deep and well rounded. HK is flat and distorted (at high volume). I would buy the B&O again in a heartbeat.

If you're asking the question, you should buy the B&O.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #6
Ex_Stig
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 X7 M60i

Garage List
2024 BMW X7 M60  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
I honestly think if you ask this question then you should skip it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoopumpers View Post
If you're asking the question, you should buy the B&O.
And there ya go! You can't get better advice anywhere else!

Good luck with the decision. I think the HK system is perfectly fine.

'25 M5 Touring (on the list, first slot)
'24 X7 M60i
'22 M5 CS - (sold)
Appreciate 1
M5Rick58907.50
      03-04-2014, 11:17 AM   #7
B-1Pilot
Yankee Air Pirate
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 w/CP

yes, the H&K is the same that has been in the 335 and 535 as the upgraded premium for a while now. My biggest regret on my M5 order was not getting the B&O. That being said... source is really important. If you are mainly listening to talk radio or Sirius channels, stick with the H&K. I have been listening to more lossless audio format via the HD or HD radio, and felt the H&K sound wanting.
      03-04-2014, 11:21 AM   #8
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

LOL!!!!!!!!!

Now that is some funny shit. (I stand by my opinion however! My sense was the OP is going after the lowest lease payment...not building a dream car)
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 11:22 AM   #9
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd
Quote:

Thanks.
I honestly think if you ask this question then you should skip it. The base system in the M5 is the HK upgrade in many other models including the F80 M3.

I personally always buy the best sound available... but there is a breaking point! For example would I pay $7000 for Burmeister sound on a 3 year S63 lease? I don't know.
Realstig,

This.

Also, come on man. You're not a newb to these forums. This topic has been addressed so many times I'm starting to get Deja Vu.

We love helping you out but you gotta work with us bro. Ummm K.

Also, since you already pointed out that you drive with your family a lot in the car the B&O would be a waste of money. It's one of the only systems I've ever heard where the more you turn up the volume the better sounds. Most people who are passengers in cars don't want to hear your music blasting in the car, unless it's a bunch of teenage girls and you are playing the latest Bieber song. Lol!

Seriously thought the HK in the M5 is very good and better than the Logic 7 in the previous E60 M5 and better than the HK in the F80 M3. I love my B&O but I'm alone in my car 99.99% of the time so I really get to enjoy it. If you end up getting an M5 with the B&O you'll appreciate it when your on solo drives the most. Like my RPi GTM exhaust with catless downpipes the B&O sound system gets VERY LOUD with it's 1,200 watt amp. It's incredible, and worth every penny, but why get it if you can't enjoy it, like most people who don't want to do Straightpipes on their M5?

Cheers bro.

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 11:49 AM   #10
mainly
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, '12 CLS63 Kleemann K3

Quote:

95% of the time when I drive, my wife and daughter are in the car with me,
uh, so why the hell are you buying an m5?

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 12:03 PM   #11
RealStig
Banned
Rep

I listen spotify via usb exclusively which is fairly high quality @ 384kbps. I dont listen radio at all. If i listened just radio, the decision would have been easier.

Anyways, I'm leaning towards not getting it at the moment as I believe the base HK system is what i would have gotten had I gone with the m3 and its going to be better than the eps i have in my m3.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 12:07 PM   #12
M5KRZI
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 E46 M - Retired

i've flip flopped on this one too, quite a bit actually, but decided to get it. one, because i heard the difference when it was tuned/optimized. two, as B1 and others have mentioned the source is essential to a clean sound and one you will notice. three, my fiancee and I enjoy classical music and she also plays the piano.
      03-04-2014, 12:09 PM   #13
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Anyways, I'm leaning towards not getting it at the moment as I believe the base HK system is what i would have gotten had I gone with the m3 and its going to be better than the eps i have in my m3.
I don't think this is true. The Enhanced Premium Sound in the E9x M3 was $2K option and I believe it is an upgrade over the F10 M5 HK system and the upcoming F80 M3 HK option.

But, it will still be good enough. Go to a dealer and have a listen?
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 12:30 PM   #14
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I listen spotify via usb exclusively which is fairly high quality @ 384kbps. I dont listen radio at all. If i listened just radio, the decision would have been easier.

So your saying you are not getting an F80 M3 then??

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 12:47 PM   #15
emmfive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 M5

Quote:

Classic. This is where all the many other B&O vs HK threads ended up!

You have to find a dealer with both and listen to them back to back. "Crackin" by Bassjackers is a good listen. If you're using spotify use the Extreme setting and connect via USB. Be sure to adjust the EQ.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 01:03 PM   #16
avlnch
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 Individual M5

The best advice would be to go to a local dealer and listen to both back to back.

If we all had the same hearing and taste, then the opinions of others would matter. In this case, you have to try them both and decide for yourself.

Make sure you bring a screen grab of the EQ settings and change them real quick before going. Also bring a CD with 320kbps songs burned onto it.

Personally, even if I couldn't of heard a difference I would of opted for the B&O because I like the look of the speakers. But, I could easily tell a huge difference. Finally, because I use MOG 90% of the time and SIRIUS 10% of the time, it all made sense to get the B&O.
      03-04-2014, 01:47 PM   #17
RealStig
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Most probably not and here is why:

Before this month's residuals were announced, I was pretty much 50/50. Something unexpected happened and M5's residual went up to 61% with the same cash incentive. When I option the M5 and the M3 similarly, M5 actually is cheaper than the M3. Theoretically, you just need the standard leather + exec + driving assist + lightning package to match a fully loaded M3 (minus CCBs). When you do that, M5 is about 10/month cheaper. Unbelievable isn't it? I just cannot pass up on that. Not only M5 is just an amazing deal right now, but the M3 is also such a bad deal from a financial perspective. The residual on the M3 is about 5% lower than where it should be, in addition, I'd be paying 6-7k premium over invoice. When you add them all up, I end up overpaying by $250/month, which is very significant. If I wanted to, I could afford it, but it's a matter of doing the smart thing and I think right now, M3 is not the smart thing.

That being said, I may end up not getting any car. My wife is complaining way too much at the moment, so I'm not sure what's going to happen, but in my mind I crossed the M3 for good.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 02:06 PM   #18
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig
Quote:
Most probably not and here is why:

Before this month's residuals were announced, I was pretty much 50/50. Something unexpected happened and M5's residual went up to 61% with the same cash incentive. When I option the M5 and the M3 similarly, M5 actually is cheaper than the M3. Theoretically, you just need the standard leather + exec + driving assist + lightning package to match a fully loaded M3 (minus CCBs). When you do that, M5 is about 10/month cheaper. Unbelievable isn't it? I just cannot pass up on that. Not only M5 is just an amazing deal right now, but the M3 is also such a bad deal from a financial perspective. The residual on the M3 is about 5% lower than where it should be, in addition, I'd be paying 6-7k premium over invoice. When you add them all up, I end up overpaying by $250/month, which is very significant. If I wanted to, I could afford it, but it's a matter of doing the smart thing and I think right now, M3 is not the smart thing.

That being said, I may end up not getting any car. My wife is complaining way too much at the moment, so I'm not sure what's going to happen, but in my mind I crossed the M3 for good.
My advice, trade in the wife for the M5.

Also I think you'd be making the right decision from a financial perspective on the M5 right now. If it was possible to get the F80 M3 for ED Invoice, then that would be totally different. I'm always against greedy dealers even if they sell it to you at U.S. MSRP.

Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 02:10 PM   #19
Actor
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a lot!

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 03:01 PM   #20
RealStig
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Also I think you'd be making the right decision from a financial perspective on the M5 right now. If it was possible to get the F80 M3 for ED Invoice, then that would be totally different. I'm always against greedy dealers even if they sell it to you at U.S. MSRP.
Ha ha ha I wish

I'm getting 1k below MSRP, but even with that, it's really a bad deal, especially if you do an apples to apples comparison between the M3 and the M5 (M3 fully loaded everything except CCBs and M5 with exec + driver assist + lightning packages), M5 comes ahead. Now obviously the cost of gas/insurance/tires etc are a bit higher in the M5, but I mean it's an M5! It's the real deal. I never thought I'd be seeing these payments for an M5. I know people who got this car 2 years ago now pay 250-300 bucks more than what I will pay.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 03:19 PM   #21
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Ha ha ha I wish

I'm getting 1k below MSRP, but even with that, it's really a bad deal, especially if you do an apples to apples comparison between the M3 and the M5 (M3 fully loaded everything except CCBs and M5 with exec + driver assist + lightning packages), M5 comes ahead. Now obviously the cost of gas/insurance/tires etc are a bit higher in the M5, but I mean it's an M5! It's the real deal. I never thought I'd be seeing these payments for an M5. I know people who got this car 2 years ago now pay 250-300 bucks more than what I will pay.
Yup with the right kind of deal, an M5 is very affordable. I know someone who leases a 2013 F10 M5 and a 2013 E92 M3 for under $2,000 a month together.

Also the Soft Close Doors make all the difference.

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2014, 03:53 AM   #22
N.S.A
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 Blue Sapphire Metallic

Get it the BANG & OLUFSEN , plus they send you a voucher of free head phones that are worth $165.
Appreciate 0