M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

04-21-2021, 09:39 AM   #177
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
OK. as I said that HAM was lapped during his crash by the rest of the field .

1• HAM went off in the gravel and crashed in the wall.
2• Red Flag showed up by the crash of BOT vs RUS .
3• HAM's car was repaired during the Red Flag.
4• HAM got his postion back (P9) and took part of the re-start of the race.
5• HAM pulled through the field to P2 and stranded 22 sec. behind MAX .
6• No one saw that HAM un-lapped himself .
7• That's actually why HAM ran one (1) lap short 62/63 laps .

Mate .Please have a read => https://www.crash.net/f1/news/975933...are-f1-mistake

•HAM was able to recover his Mercedes from the gravel by engaging reverse but by the time he had escaped he was already a lap down and had slipped to ninth.
Quote:
Mate .Did "you saw HAM un-lapping himself ?

I didn't saw it ,or did I missed it ?

You guys must not understand racing, the lapped cars were called to the front of the pit lane before other cars, they were all allowed to do a full lap to un-lap themselves before joining the rest of the grid.

It is also common for cars to be allowed to un-lap themselves during a safety car.

This doesn't mean they completed less laps than the race.
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34171.50
      04-21-2021, 09:41 AM   #178
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyPeaches View Post
How do you figure he ran a lap short?
Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
This.
In all the kerfuffle did the timekeepers knock on a lap to hammy by mistake...
See post above, clearly someone doesn't understand the rules.
Appreciate 2
MKSixer34171.50
Bongoxxx804.00
      04-22-2021, 09:56 AM   #179
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Seems like the gossip spreaders only like that "other" thread they are trying to keep alive.
Appreciate 2
Steeler2422.00
      04-22-2021, 11:36 AM   #180
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Seems like the gossip spreaders only like that "other" thread they are trying to keep alive.
Mate .Not everyone is welcome in this thread . Check # 9 + 12 => https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1814583

Merc fanboys like you are more than welcome !

Over and out...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58879.50
      04-22-2021, 12:42 PM   #181
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
You guys must not understand racing, the lapped cars were called to the front of the pit lane before other cars, they were all allowed to do a full lap to un-lap themselves before joining the rest of the grid.

It is also common for cars to be allowed to un-lap themselves during a safety car.

This doesn't mean they completed less laps than the race.
IMHO, It would have been just as easy and more fair to do the following. Call lead lap cars to the front behind the safety car. Cars a lap down could then fall inline without gaining an advantage. YES, I'm sure there is some rule against it.

I've never liked unfair wave arounds in any series. If you are a lap down you screwed up and shouldn't be awarded for it.

Lapped cars didn't "Complete" few laps they "Competed" fewer laps. In other words they got a free parade lap while the leaders had to sit and suck on it.
Appreciate 3
      04-22-2021, 02:17 PM   #182
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

more than 10 cars unlapped themselves.. quite sometime now that under SC or red flag situation race director can decide to do this to spice things up.. just waiting for Max fans reaction if he benefits from a similar situation..

and actually Max was lucky as well he made a half spin not a full one.. if he d spin out, cars wouldnt need to wait for him and Max d have only few hundred meters to regain his position which first SC line.. that was lucky also..
      04-22-2021, 02:41 PM   #183
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Remember 2020 Hungarian GP, Max crashed on the reconnaissance lap ahead of the race, damaging the front-left of his Red Bull, but his team managed to complete repairs in time for the start.

He got lucky there also, but apparently only someone else gets lucky.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 02:43 PM   #184
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yco View Post
more than 10 cars unlapped themselves.. quite sometime now that under SC or red flag situation race director can decide to do this to spice things up.. just waiting for Max fans reaction if he benefits from a similar situation..

and actually Max was lucky as well he made a half spin not a full one.. if he d spin out, cars wouldnt need to wait for him and Max d have only few hundred meters to regain his position which first SC line.. that was lucky also..
Not Max fan here BTW. But if the race director wanted to spice things up another standing start could have done that.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2021, 02:44 PM   #185
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killed by Death View Post
IMHO, It would have been just as easy and more fair to do the following. Call lead lap cars to the front behind the safety car. Cars a lap down could then fall inline without gaining an advantage. YES, I'm sure there is some rule against it.

I've never liked unfair wave arounds in any series. If you are a lap down you screwed up and shouldn't be awarded for it.

Lapped cars didn't "Complete" few laps they "Competed" fewer laps. In other words they got a free parade lap while the leaders had to sit and suck on it.
Yes there are rules, but the whole point is to make it fair for the lead cars to compete with each other and not be unfairly impeded by the lapped cars on restart.
It makes for better racing on restart.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 02:46 PM   #186
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Mate .Not everyone is welcome in this thread . Check # 9 + 12 => https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1814583

Merc fanboys like you are more than welcome !

Over and out...
Oh, so you can't talk about F1 without being Max biased / blinded. Got it, enjoy the max fanboi/soap opera thread. I won't be going back.

Appreciate 1
      04-22-2021, 02:47 PM   #187
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Yes there are rules, but the whole point is to make it fair for the lead cars to compete with each other and not be unfairly impeded by the lapped cars on restart.
It makes for better racing on restart.
I get it, but my previous suggestion would have accomplished the same thing.
Appreciate 2
M5Rick58879.50
      04-22-2021, 02:48 PM   #188
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Actually Max would not have been able to regain his position.
He would have to hold the position where he re-entered the track. (no passing under SC)
This already happened in this race (I forget who it was that was penalized for this)

Last edited by inTgr8r; 04-22-2021 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 02:53 PM   #189
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I get it, but my previous suggestion would have accomplished the same thing.
Maybe...
But I think it maybe easier to send them around than cherry pick the leaders out of the pack and move them up.
I agree either way would accomplish a similar thing though.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2021, 03:20 PM   #190
Autobacs
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X6M

Garage List
Quote:

That was not luck. That was skill that he caught his spin. Same as taking the lead starting from third in wet conditions.

Having said that, Lewis was not lucky to unlap himself, that was the rules for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 04:21 PM   #191
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobacs View Post
Having said that, Lewis was not lucky to unlap himself, that was the rules for everyone.
That said, all of them were lucky. HAM is going to draw more heat because he is World Champion. Not much use mentioning the others.
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2021, 04:40 PM   #192
yco
i'm just saying
Rep
Drives: E71 X6M '10 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Actually Max would not have been able to regain his position.
He would have to hold the position where he re-entered the track. (no passing under SC)
This already happened in this race (I forget who it was that was penalized for this)
actually there is a thin and a bit confusing line between in very similar situations..

on formation lap, drivers can take their places back.. actually they have to.. Kimi went off on formation lap but he didnt take the position back.. and he got a penalty..

Perez went off under SC but actually during normal "race lap" since SC laps counts as normal laps as well.. thats why he got a penalty..

in Max's case.. since the race was red flagged its basically a formation lap.. and he could get back his position until SC line at the pit entry..

this is what Masi said about it..

"After a suspension, it is considered a race lap but in the same sort of principles as a formation lap," Masi explained. "So if a car was out of position, it would be like a formation lap in that they can regain that position as long as it's before Safety Car line one. That's the general principle."

sounds a bit confusing but actually simple..

formation lap = you can take your position back..
under SC = you cant take back your position..
      04-22-2021, 05:07 PM   #193
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
actually there is a thin and a bit confusing line between in very similar situations..

Kimi went off on formation lap but he didnt take the position back.. and he got a penalty..

in Max's case.. since the race was red flagged its basically a formation lap.. and he could get back his position until SC line at the pit entry..

this is what Masi said about it..

"After a suspension, it is considered a race lap but in the same sort of principles as a formation lap," Masi explained. "So if a car was out of position, it would be like a formation lap in that they can regain that position as long as it's before Safety Car line one. That's the general principle."

sounds a bit confusing but actually simple..

formation lap = you can take your position back..
under SC = you cant take back your position..
Simple yet still confuses people and teams. Kimi wanted to take his place back and the team told him not to.

I read somewhere that since Kimi didn't take his place back he was supposed to enter pit lane and start from there ....hence the 30 second penalty.

Found it: Explanation below:

https://www.grandprix247.com/2021/04...omoted-to-p10/

Last edited by Killed by Death; 04-22-2021 at 05:20 PM..
Appreciate 2
inTgr8r2421.50
yco5722.50
      04-22-2021, 05:27 PM   #194
Bongoxxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340 XDrive

Quote:
Not Max fan here BTW. But if the race director wanted to spice things up another standing start could have done that.
I wish they had done another standing start, would have definitely made it more interesting.
Appreciate 2
      04-22-2021, 08:35 PM   #195
Killed by Death
Brigadier General
Rep

Confusing Raikkonen penalty prompts restart rule change.

"Fortunately...the FIA will have regulations fixed by the time Formula 1 arrives at Portimao for the Portuguese Grand Prix.

Auto Motor und Sport report that Article 42.6, which ruled Raikkonen should have started from the pit lane after failing to regain his position, will be updated to apply only to a formation lap before a standing start.

In Imola, Article 42.6 had clashed with Rule 42.12 which prohibits overtaking behind the Safety Car when the lights are switched off"
Appreciate 3
yco5722.50
inTgr8r2421.50
      04-23-2021, 01:31 AM   #196
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongoxxx View Post
I wish they had done another standing start, would have definitely made it more interesting.
IIUC they didn't have a starting start after the red flag because there was still a significant grip delta between one side of the track and the other...giving the possibility of carnage as cars all tried to get onto the racing line but with different rates of acceleration.
Appreciate 0