BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

04-28-2021, 09:20 AM   #1
tinysM5
Private
Rep
Drives: subaru

bmw warranty question

im about to purchase a f10 m5 through the approved used scheme which will come with 12 months warranty, ive done a quote on their warranty site and it comes out at around £1890 for a years warranty.

i wanted to know how much it cost come renewal time. ive also read that they invite you to extend your warranty near the end of your warranty which is alot cheaper so im a little confused with it all. also does it increase when you pass 60k?

could somebody set me straight please. car will probably be a 14/15 plate with around 40k on the clock

cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 02:08 PM   #2
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Assuming that you go with an annual payment, the premium will take a fair bit of a jump on your renewal once you've passed 60k.

If you go with a monthly payment, then the premium stays the same once you go through 60k

Please note that these are the situations for non-M cars. Full-fat Ms might be different.

As to the initial first cost, I'd ask your dealer to provide a quote to be certain - explain that you want to know what it's going to cost, and could they provide you with a figure. Don't even mention that you've checked it out yourself already.

I will say this : if you ever let the warranty lapse then the premium will shoot up. I made that mistake myself a couple of years ago, was busy at renewal time (price about £600), let it lapse, a few weeks later as a new quote the premium was closer to £900 for the same cover
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2021, 04:36 AM   #3
tinysM5
Private
Rep

I've seen a really nice 15 plate comp pack m5 on the approved used site but it has 64k on it,the mot history is pretty clean apart from a tyre and it shows that the mileage was covered in the 1st 3 years. I know you get a 12 month warranty with it but I would like to know how much it would be to extend it, I would pay monthly.

Should I be put off by mileage?
I would cover around 2-3k per year in it
https://usedcars.bmw.co.uk/vehicle/2...2-f747edf9003b

Last edited by tinysM5; 04-29-2021 at 04:52 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 02:49 AM   #4
hawker1986
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW F10 M5

The warranty is much more expensive once a car goes >60k miles so I would try and get a car that will keep you under that come the renewal. I dont know how much it is >60k but I pay £793 annually with £250 excess - my car is under the threshold, my understanding is its a lot more.

I would suggest you call BMW insured warranty services and just ask them - theyre very amendable whenever ive called them.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 02:59 AM   #5
tinysM5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawker1986 View Post
The warranty is much more expensive once a car goes >60k miles so I would try and get a car that will keep you under that come the renewal. I dont know how much it is >60k but I pay £793 annually with £250 excess - my car is under the threshold, my understanding is its a lot more.

I would suggest you call BMW insured warranty services and just ask them - theyre very amendable whenever ive called them.
Thanks for the reply. Did you buy through approved used? Were you invited to extend your warranty?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 01:45 PM   #6
drbru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f10 m5

When my car went above 60k I managed to negotiate one further year at the "normal" rate. The next year when my car hit 70k the warranty went to above 3k so that ultimately was the decision not to renew
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 01:49 AM   #7
hawker1986
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinysM5 View Post
Thanks for the reply. Did you buy through approved used? Were you invited to extend your warranty?

Thanks
Hi, yes it was an approved used car, I think if there is a gap in the cars warranty the price is higher. I was invited to extend but it was always my intention to extend the warranty and I had already arranged it before the renewal turned up!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2021, 04:52 AM   #8
tinysM5
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawker1986 View Post
Hi, yes it was an approved used car, I think if there is a gap in the cars warranty the price is higher. I was invited to extend but it was always my intention to extend the warranty and I had already arranged it before the renewal turned up!
Thanks again.

Have you had to use the warranty much?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2021, 02:49 AM   #9
hawker1986
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinysM5 View Post
Thanks again.