BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > BMW M5 (F10) General Forum

05-01-2021, 04:35 AM   #23
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

I coded out my cold start, it was really bugging me.
I typically give it 30 seconds or so, the time it takes me to buckle up hook up my phone and get the music going.

I never push the car until the oil temp needle starts moving, once the oil passes the first dot I can go all in.

What most people do not think of is that when the car is parked, the turbos are red hot.
I typically drive very gentle the last 3-4km(2mi) before getting to where I'm going to try and keep the turbo temp down, and you should really let the car idle for a minute or two before stopping the engine to let the turbos cool a litte.
Once stopped the fans will be blowing for a while to cool the turbos, but if you are driving hard all the way and just stop the engine that could hurt in the long run.
-20 i3s
-20 Ducati Diavel 1260s
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2021, 08:15 PM   #24
BMWM5NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 Monte Carlo Blue M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noggie View Post
I coded out my cold start, it was really bugging me.
I typically give it 30 seconds or so, the time it takes me to buckle up hook up my phone and get the music going.

I never push the car until the oil temp needle starts moving, once the oil passes the first dot I can go all in.

What most people do not think of is that when the car is parked, the turbos are red hot.
I typically drive very gentle the last 3-4km(2mi) before getting to where I'm going to try and keep the turbo temp down, and you should really let the car idle for a minute or two before stopping the engine to let the turbos cool a litte.
Once stopped the fans will be blowing for a while to cool the turbos, but if you are driving hard all the way and just stop the engine that could hurt in the long run.
The Electric circulation pump also runs too cool the turbos along with the fans.
      05-07-2021, 06:50 AM   #25
technician117
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2001 M5, 2013 M5 6MT

Garage List
1990 BMW M5  [0.00]
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Correct. There's no need to have any type of "cool down" procedure with modern turbo cars when street driving. Sure, if you just did a bunch of back to back pulls to redline, you might let the engine cool a bit before shutting off, and definitely need a cool down lap or two if at a track day. Normal driving does not require this as they designed a cooling circuit to prevent hot spots from developing. As mentioned, there are two electric coolant pumps that run coolant through the turbo circuit after engine shutdown. They run for a specified amount of time based on temperature.
Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00
      05-07-2021, 07:47 AM   #26
vafan13
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sakhir Orange F10 M5

and the pumps cooling the turbos run a decent amount of time even after the fans shut off. One can hear them if one listens closely, at least when the hood is up.

The only thing I do regarding "cool down" is, if I'm not already in it, to put throttle in sport plus when I get closer to home. Coolant temp target is ~14-15C cooler in sport plus and I figure cooling things down a bit before shutting off can't hurt. I believe it also causes the charge coolers to be used constantly instead of based on temps being high.
      05-07-2021, 10:27 AM   #27
Noggie
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: E31 850i,i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM5NYC View Post
The Electric circulation pump also runs too cool the turbos along with the fans.
I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by technician117 View Post
Correct. There's no need to have any type of "cool down" procedure with modern turbo cars when street driving. Sure, if you just did a bunch of back to back pulls to redline, you might let the engine cool a bit before shutting off, and definitely need a cool down lap or two if at a track day. Normal driving does not require this as they designed a cooling circuit to prevent hot spots from developing. As mentioned, there are two electric coolant pumps that run coolant through the turbo circuit after engine shutdown. They run for a specified amount of time based on temperature.
Sure, you may not have to, but I doubt it hurts

You don't have to replace the engine oil before the service indicator tells you to either (25.000km/15.500mi), but I don't know of any M-owners or enthusiasts that drive more than a maximum of 15.000km/9300mi between oil changes.

I guess it "one of those things" that some do just to sleep well at night.
-20 i3s
-20 Ducati Diavel 1260s
Appreciate 0