M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

09-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #67
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrsbmw View Post
OK, it could be that it's just not working, that did happen to mine after they made a change to the airbox. Later that got fixed by replacing the DTronics module and the better performance returned. I claimed and documented a difference from stock to Stage 2 and Stage 2 to Stage 2 plus DPs. I posted Vbox numbers for all of it. I think some of them are on another thread. Right here is where I posted the first runs before the airbox got fixed and the car was straight Stage 2. When I ran against boots the DTronics had quit working. They swapped it out after I got the down pipes in and the the vbox results of that are here.

I still need to take it out to the better road that is flat and smooth and 1 mile long. Then I think I will get even better results.
Glad to hear it worked out for you in the end
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 01:17 PM   #68
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 CP M6 and 2006 VT 525 Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
@ dinan. We will have some side by side runs this Sunday between me and both john and William.
Well , what happened with the runs?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 01:27 PM   #69
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd2003 View Post
Well , what happened with the runs?
I took the Porsche and boots had to work. However, spinny ran his Dinan against Gunderson's M5 with BMS and beat him so I was told. Thing is, spinny has CP Stage 2 and Gunderson is stock M5 with BMS so advantage spinny to start.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #70
EuroKar
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I took the Porsche and boots had to work. However, spinny ran his Dinan against Gunderson's M5 with BMS and beat him so I was told. Thing is, spinny has CP Stage 2 and Gunderson is stock M5 with BMS so advantage spinny to start.
I love this feedback !!
I have switched out BMS for Dinan and the Dinan kit does perform better. I'm glad someone else is putting it down and letting people know their setup works.

I wonder what setting the BMS kit was set at ?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 03:20 PM   #71
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroKar
Quote:
I love this feedback !!
I have switched out BMS for Dinan and the Dinan kit does perform better. I'm glad someone else is putting it down and letting people know their setup works.

Well having a CP with DP's to start with is a huge advantage , just look at my stock Vbox numbers , but I'm glad to see a Dinan kit is functioning well on a CP car . It seemed a lot of people have been having MAF issues .
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 03:24 PM   #72
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I love this feedback !!

Without objective data you can't say that . What "feels "faster isn't always faster . Have you done Vbox runs or gone to the strip with both .
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 04:51 PM   #73
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Quote:
Well having a CP with DP's to start with is a huge advantage , just look at my stock Vbox numbers , but I'm glad to see a Dinan kit is functioning well on a CP car . It seemed a lot of people have been having MAF issues .
Agreed on all.

We had a small meet with a great group of guys including GunderM5 and wrsbmw. The roads were great to push the ///M's and wrsbmw's TTS is stunning... The sound is also amazing. The most memorable moment was when a small town sheriff wanted to chat with us for an hour....just because he had nothing better to do.

Gunder's M5 w/ BMS did very well. We could only do rolling starts form 60-80 to +++. We had four or five runs. The last three should be on film from D88. I will see if he has uploaded them to youtube.

on the first run it felt like forever between the time I hit the gas and when the car took off (D3) and Sport plus, she pulled ahead around 110-120 and kept gaining multiple car lengths.

The last two runs were in manual and the car seemed to pull away faster. At the end of each race the Dinan was a good distance ahead of the BMS.

As noted i do have DP's and CP. It would be great to meet up with hawkyeye or anyone with a stock CP in Houston.

I am really happy with my Dinan setup. In my eyes it performed as expected. The suspension (coilovers and sways) are also much improved in my opinion. They really have the spring rates in the sweet spot. I enjoyed the CP springs but i feel that the Dinan setup is an improvement over CP. I have not had the opportunity to track the car since the new setup. I can provide more detail on how the setup performs on the track and a later date.

The MAF CEL is still present. They are still working on a fix.

JS

Last edited by Spinny02; 09-23-2014 at 05:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 06:37 PM   #74
EuroKar
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'd like to see before and after dyno sheets for stock and with aftermarket exhaust system.
With no proper tune for cat delete there are no huge gains to be made. Sure after some driving time there is a small amount but nothing like E60 M5 for example adding cat delete with "proper ecu tune" that's makes really decent gains.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #75
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'd like to see before and after dyno sheets for stock and with aftermarket exhaust system.
With no proper tune for cat delete there are no huge gains to be made. Sure after some driving time there is a small amount but nothing like E60 M5 for example adding cat delete with "proper ecu tune" that's makes really decent gains.
I picked up 2 mph on the 1/4 mile and .2 off my ET same track same DA with SS catted DP's only and .4 sec off 60-130mph . That's significant .
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 05:10 PM   #76
EuroKar
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I picked up 2 mph on the 1/4 mile and .2 off my ET same track same DA with SS catted DP's only and .4 sec off 60-130mph . That's significant .
Nice
I would still like to see what the performance gains are from a few companies products tho.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #77
gmd2003
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Nice
I would still like to see what the performance gains are from a few companies products tho.
Have you done any testing with the DInan stage 2 ? What other mods do you have ? I certainly think the Dinan piggyback is a safer set up , especially on track but would like to know objective data before I consider switching. If it's truly the same power with better drivability and safety Id be happy .
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 07:53 PM   #78
Hawkeye1
Displaced Iowan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
Agreed on all.

As noted i do have DP's and CP. It would be great to meet up with hawkyeye or anyone with a stock CP in Houston.

JS
Guys,

Good to hear about the run. Looking forward to the video. I'm available Saturday for another test run... I have Dinan Stage 1. No other drivetrain mods.

On a related note, did a track day today at Motorsports Ranch in Cresson, TX today. Left the M5 at home and drove several BMWs made available by a local dealership (Classic). Had a great time and appreciate the dealership's gesture. Plan to go back in mid-October for a 2 day BMWCCA HPDE event, and will take the M5 for that.
2018 911 GT3 (Manual) - Mine
2013 911 S Cabriolet - Mostly mine
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 08:27 PM   #79
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroKar View Post
I don't have the cat delete but the Noelle high flow cats 400 cel vs stock 600. not a huge diff, only about 10 HP, But the exhaust note has improved.
      09-24-2014, 09:59 PM   #80
Hammer91
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M5 Comp

Quote:
Agreed on all.

We had a small meet with a great group of guys including GunderM5 and wrsbmw. The roads were great to push the ///M's and wrsbmw's TTS is stunning... The sound is also amazing. The most memorable moment was when a small town sheriff wanted to chat with us for an hour....just because he had nothing better to do.

Gunder's M5 w/ BMS did very well. We could only do rolling starts form 60-80 to +++. We had four or five runs. The last three should be on film from D88. I will see if he has uploaded them to youtube.

on the first run it felt like forever between the time I hit the gas and when the car took off (D3) and Sport plus, she pulled ahead around 110-120 and kept gaining multiple car lengths

The last two runs were in manual and the car seemed to pull away faster. At the end of each race the Dinan was a good distance ahead of the BMS.

I am really happy with my Dinan setup. In my eyes it performed as expected. The suspension (coilovers and sways) are also much improved in my opinion. They really have the spring rates in the sweet spot. I enjoyed the CP springs but i feel that the Dinan setup is an improvement over CP. I have not had the opportunity to track the car since the new setup. I can provide more detail on how the setup performs on the track and a later date.

The MAF CEL is still present. They are still working on a fix.

JS
Do you suspect the CEL from Dinan or from DP's ?

Also, do you feel Dinan has a broad increase in power across the RPM range or just sacrificed some low and mid power for a higher peak at the high end?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 11:09 PM   #81
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer91 View Post

Also, do you feel Dinan has a broad increase in power across the RPM range or just sacrificed some low and mid power for a higher peak at the high end?
Hi,

The CEL is directly related to the intake and only occurs cars equipped with CP ( as far as i am aware of).

The power feel higher all around, you really feed it from min to high.
      09-25-2014, 12:46 PM   #82
EuroKar
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I don't have the cat delete but the Noelle high flow cats 400 cel vs stock 600. not a huge diff, only about 10 HP, But the exhaust note has improved.
That is what I suspect. I have seen these cars on the dyno with and without cats. There are not enough power gains to be made to make it worth X amount of thousands of dollars in comparison.
I agree with the exhaust note. I am a fan of it as well. Deff makes it sound like an absolute beast with no cats at all.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 12:48 PM   #83
EuroKar
Banned
Rep

Quote:

Check engine lights that are stored for Mass Air Flow sensor codes that occur on both banks are in relation to a hole in the bottom of the intake air boxes. From my understanding from the factory some M5/M6's came with a hole in the bottom of the air box, that was a mistake and requires a block off plate. Its a simple fix and I hear has resolved all issues present.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 02:18 PM   #84
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Check engine lights that are stored for Mass Air Flow sensor codes that occur on both banks are in relation to a hole in the bottom of the intake air boxes. From my understanding from the factory some M5/M6's came with a hole in the bottom of the air box, that was a mistake and requires a block off plate. Its a simple fix and I hear has resolved all issues present.
Wrsbmw had this issue. My MAF CEL is cussed by something else. Fix is still being researched by Dinan.
      09-25-2014, 03:09 PM   #85
wrsbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 Ferrari 488 Spider

Garage List
Quote:
Wrsbmw had this issue. My MAF CEL is cussed by something else. Fix is still being researched by Dinan.
Yes, the closed air box fixed my CEL but my car is a 2013 M5.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 06:39 PM   #86
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Quote:
Spinny do you also have the Dinan air box ?
I guess what I'm trying to ask is the CEL as a result of the piggyback or intake?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 07:20 PM   #87
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMD View Post
Spinny do you also have the Dinan air box ?
I guess what I'm trying to ask is the CEL as a result of the piggyback or intake?
According to Dinan it's the intake. If we revert back to stock intake it should go away. I am confident that they will have a solution soon so I am not going back to stock yet.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 08:42 PM   #88
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

OK good luck.
Appreciate 0